Not the best

Once I stopped comparing myself to other people,  things became a lot more clear.

It doesn’t matter what anybody else says is important. As long as my candle meets my customers expectations and they are fully satisfied why should I worry about what a random Facebook or forum member might think it’s perfect? They don’t pay my bills. 

Over the summer a Customer asked me who my competition was. He expected to hear any or all of the other merchants at the fair. My response was simple. “Myself. I compete against myself. I’m the only one that matters”. He was taken aback for a minute and then he nodded in complete understanding.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Once I stopped comparing myself to other people,  things became a lot more clear.

It doesn’t matter what anybody else says is important. As long as my candle meets my customers expectations and they are fully satisfied why should I worry about what a random Facebook or forum member might think it’s perfect? They don’t pay my bills. 

Over the summer a Customer asked me who my competition was. He expected to hear any or all of the other merchants at the fair. My response was simple. “Myself. I compete against myself. I’m the only one that matters”. He was taken aback for a minute and then he nodded in complete understanding.

That is very good advise.  I will tell myself this when I start getting flustered.. I have wanted to give up on candles a few times , but  I will not allow it ..and having good advise is motivating 

THANKS...

• Like 1

One day last week, I handed my DH and my neighbor two different candles, same fragrance, same color, same container, different wax.  One was parasoy with great adhesion and one was paraffin with lots of wet spots.  I told them to inspect those candles really well and tell me what they find different.  They looked them over and over, then took the lids off and sniffed.  They both indicated the paraffin candle smelled stronger, but neither of them were able to point out any appearance issues even when I prodded them to look again.  
Just a little food for thought.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I also wanted to add..... wet spots annoy me, but I am trying hard to get over it.  That's what prompted me to do that little experiment.

Your experiment was a good idea . It shows people probably do  care about the scent more than anything .. hopefully there are a lot of people like that lol. Wet spots are a thorn in my side to , especially when you make a couple of candles and 1 is perfect and 1 is not, its like uhgggg why? Lol   

• Like 2

You will get to a point where they no longer annoy you.  Sometimes the candles are perfect for months and then viola a wet spot appears as the wax changes temperature and shrinks more.  When I first realized it will happen sometimes no matter what you do/try, I embraced them.  The frosting I never got over, so I only colored my palm candles & melts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

You will get to a point where they no longer annoy you.  Sometimes the candles are perfect for months and then viola a wet spot appears as the wax changes temperature and shrinks more.  When I first realized it will happen sometimes no matter what you do/try, I embraced them.  The frosting I never got over, so I only colored my palm candles & melts.

I'm realizing that when i use  to buy candles  I would just pick them up and smell them, that i would never look around the jar to see those problems. So i do have to learn to let it go and just do my best.. This website is extremely helpful and encouraging ❤ 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Karen Ov said:

I think i just have to be a little more patient, and realizing soy is a pain , but sticking with it.

I've never poured soy but I gotta say that as a consumer, I don't remember ever noticing the wet spots.

We as candle makers strive to produce a perfect candle,  pleasing to the eye seems to be at the forefront but in reality, the quality of the burn and throw is what will bring back customers.  And as a consumer, I do not ever remember noticing wet spots...like I don't even remember knowing what a wet spot was...that said, that's a good thing because a wet spot does not have anything to do with the HT of the candle.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:55 AM, Karen Ov said:

Hi..

Just wondering what do you do with the candles that have bad glass adhesion or just a little and frosting. Do you still sell them, or at a discount, or just give them away and loose money?

Thanks

There is no way in H#ll that I would consider decreasing my price on a quality poured container candle just because it shows some wet spots...we as candle makers do notice those things such as glass adhesion and/or wet spots but the general public doesn't even no what that is.

So, pour those candles and be proud of the HT associated with burning those candles and don't worry about the wet-spots because they have absolutely NOTHING to do with filling a customer's room with a beautiful scent. 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:55 AM, Karen Ov said:

Hi..

Just wondering what do you do with the candles that have bad glass adhesion or just a little and frosting. Do you still sell them, or at a discount, or just give them away and loose money?

Thanks

I see high end candles with adhesion issues all the time

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with all of the statements above.  I have wasted too much money purchasing candles that looked nice only to find I could barely smell them.  I do not purchase candles to add to my decor, I buy for scent and throw which many customers do.  Therefore, focus on a great throwing, safe burning product.

Actually, I like looking at a jar candle and seeing little imperfections as it makes the candle seem rustic and enhances the handmade aspect of it. So I don't sweat the wetspots or frosting. Additionally, as others have already said they can come back no matter what you do or what technique you try to avoid it. So why worry over something you don't have control over. Start looking at it as a part of the candle and realize it gives the candle character and then you can start learning to appreciate and embrace the imperfections. It will save you a lot of headaches and frustration.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hate bad adhesion. So perfecting technique is important to me. Some waxes are a big pain with adhesion and you have to work pour temp etc.

An easy solution for you is use opaque containers - candle problems solved. There are kinds of solid looking candle glass, and you can use tins and use decorative labels.

Everyone is different, but for me if someone is going to buy my candle I want it to smell delish, and look fabulous. If you are going to sell then put a great product!

This is just my humbly opinion ...

Does a little wax pulling away from the glass really detract from a candle?  I mean, it's wax, it's going to melt, shrink, sweat, etc.  I don't like to cover my jars with labels, and I don't mind clear jars, if the wax and the glass don't perfectly meet throughout the entire candle, I feel that I can only do so much to prevent that and if that's not enough, then forget about it.  The air temperature can also make a "perfect" candle go into retraction, so if I pulled my hair out all of the time over it, I'd be bald by now.

I value all opinions and information... Right now I am totally dedicated in finding great scents and I'm just going to do the best I can with the other issues lol..In march will be 1 year for making candles and I definitely feel more relaxed about it ..😊    

I was in Hobby Lobby and saw a lady with her friend pick up a candle with bad glass adhesion, she said ''look! this means it's loaded with oil it's going to burn really strong!''

Had to walk away to let out some giggles.

My point is, some people apparently think it's a good sign lol.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ErronB said:

I was in Hobby Lobby and saw a lady with her friend pick up a candle with bad glass adhesion, she said ''look! this means it's loaded with oil it's going to burn really strong!''

Had to walk away to let out some giggles.

My point is, some people apparently think it's a good sign lol.

Lol ...that's so funny