Lab & Co Fragrance oils

5 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I wish I had CS Fireside so I could mix the 2 to see what it smells like :( Pink Peony + Nectarine sounds really nice, do you like it ? I know Paolo Santo is popular but I have no clue what it smells like, Can you please describe ? 

I honestly wish I had used something smokier than Fireside—maybe a touch of campfire or incense blend with the Frankincense + Myrrh. At 8% in 464 in a 9oz with a two week cure It didn’t fill my average sized bathroom as much as I would have liked. That may be a wicking error on my end—I’m experimenting with Premiers and I believe I used the 750 to start.

I like the Pink Peony + Nectarine ok but I don’t feel like I would buy it again. It’s a bit more perfumey and less botanical than I like. I also think the nectarine notes get lost in the blend. It reminds me of some of the high end hair care products I’ve bought in the past. It’s certainly not bad just not what I was looking for. I do like the Yuzu + Hinoki better (great throw in C3!) but it doesn’t blow me away enough to where I would be able to justify a bigger purchase.

The Palo Santo is very herbal and mildly earthy. It sort of reminds me of dried herbal tea with faint sweet grassy notes. I like that the Sage isn’t in your face. I haven’t put this in wax yet because I can’t think of what to pair it with. On its own I don’t think people would be throwing themselves at it—I think it might need something else to make it interesting. I’m thinking citrus or smoke—maybe a touch of shouldering patch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sarahmarah said:

I honestly wish I had used something smokier than Fireside—maybe a touch of campfire or incense blend with the Frankincense + Myrrh. At 8% in 464 in a 9oz with a two week cure It didn’t fill my average sized bathroom as much as I would have liked. That may be a wicking error on my end—I’m experimenting with Premiers and I believe I used the 750 to start.

I like the Pink Peony + Nectarine ok but I don’t feel like I would buy it again. It’s a bit more perfumey and less botanical than I like. I also think the nectarine notes get lost in the blend. It reminds me of some of the high end hair care products I’ve bought in the past. It’s certainly not bad just not what I was looking for. I do like the Yuzu + Hinoki better (great throw in C3!) but it doesn’t blow me away enough to where I would be able to justify a bigger purchase.

The Palo Santo is very herbal and mildly earthy. It sort of reminds me of dried herbal tea with faint sweet grassy notes. I like that the Sage isn’t in your face. I haven’t put this in wax yet because I can’t think of what to pair it with. On its own I don’t think people would be throwing themselves at it—I think it might need something else to make it interesting. I’m thinking citrus or smoke—maybe a touch of shouldering patch.

Thank you so much ! Your answers 

were super helpful. The FO's are so darn expensive! Unless I missed your earlier post , did any FO's 

really made you go wow 😳 

11 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Thank you so much ! Your answers 

were super helpful. The FO's are so darn expensive! Unless I missed your earlier post , did any FO's 

really made you go wow 😳 

So far the Frankincense + Myrrh wowed me—I definitely want to play with it more and see how it does in C3. I think mainly I love it because I have been looking for that nostalgic “church” smell for a long time and this was it! 
Smells exactly like a long discontinued GAP fragrance called “OM” and reminds me of having to sit through services as a child. I can see it being a very niche thing as it’s one of those very polarizing smells. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sarahmarah said:

So far the Frankincense + Myrrh wowed me—I definitely want to play with it more and see how it does in C3. I think mainly I love it because I have been looking for that nostalgic “church” smell for a long time and this was it! 
Smells exactly like a long discontinued GAP fragrance called “OM” and reminds me of having to sit through services as a child. I can see it being a very niche thing as it’s one of those very polarizing smells. 

I smiled to you having memories of sitting through church services as a child. The first time I smelled 

frankencence EO from Eden botanicals that was the first thing that came to my mind as well lol 

thanks again, I really appreciate it 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I smiled to you having memories of sitting through church services as a child. The first time I smelled 

frankencence EO from Eden botanicals that was the first thing that came to my mind as well lol 

thanks again, I really appreciate it 

No worries 😊 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:02 AM, Jolet Candle said:

I have used them and they are the best oils I have, the throw is great. I wish they would formulate some more traditional holiday scents, they have a lot of funky fragrance combinations.

May I ask which you've tried and 

liked and disliked or just Meh 

Thank you for your reviews!

I was hoping for the pink peony/nectarine to be good for my daughter. She loves nectarine blends which are not to common.

I love Eden botanicals palo santo and made my first ever blend using all e.o.for my candle as an experiment and It was successful but I’d like to try their blend. My other e.o. Blends were not good.

I definitely want to try the frankincense and myrrh!

On 1/17/2020 at 9:55 PM, Moonstar said:

It does sound amazing ! What did you order + what did you think ?

I ordered peppermint cocoa - awesome

Salted kalhua - no hot throw at 10%

Blood Orange - everyone's fave

I ordered grapefruit with mint leaves but i have not tried that one.

Their cocosoy wax is awesome and easy to work with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misfaya said:

I ordered peppermint cocoa - awesome

Salted kalhua - no hot throw at 10%

Blood Orange - everyone's fave

I ordered grapefruit with mint leaves but i have not tried that one.

Their cocosoy wax is awesome and easy to work with.

Thank you so much ! 

I received my 10 sample size FOs Saturday and put them in wax yesterday. The first one I opened was the Lemon Verbena and Thyme and OOB it smelled amazing. I can’t comment on any others as once I had poured the first one my nose was compromised, but I liked them all. You can definitely tell the difference between these FOs and the other FOs I have purchased and they seem to be what I have been looking for. I put them in 4627 at 8%, without a wick. I labeled them A-J so that the name will not prejudice my testing. Next week I’ll test them by scooping some out and putting it in my melter. I’ll post the results when I’m finished.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Forrest said:

I received my 10 sample size FOs Saturday and put them in wax yesterday. The first one I opened was the Lemon Verbena and Thyme and OOB it smelled amazing. I can’t comment on any others as once I had poured the first one my nose was compromised, but I liked them all. You can definitely tell the difference between these FOs and the other FOs I have purchased and they seem to be what I have been looking for. I put them in 4627 at 8%, without a wick. I labeled them A-J so that the name will not prejudice my testing. Next week I’ll test them by scooping some out and putting it in my melter. I’ll post the results when I’m finished.

You will never look at  typical FO the same way again. 

i e. It used lab and co specifically, but a truly GOOD fo ruins it for all others. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

i e. It used lab and co specifically, but a truly GOOD fo ruins it for all others. 

My problem is my wife lakes to shop at Anthropology, and some of their candles are seriously high end. From the beginning that is what I’ve wanted to make. Fortunately y’all taught me enough about candle making I may be able to do these FOs justice. I think this falls in to the category of “be careful what you wish for”. My little hobby just went way up in price.

Autocorrect changed my intent above.  It should have read, “I have never used lab and co specifically.”

anyway... do you suppose Anthropologie and other high end candle brands use what is available to us in the typical retail fragrance market? (Hint... nooooo, lol.) sure, we can make a fine candle for our market space with what we have at hand once we learn our materials. Moving up and to the next level takes a bit more.

retailers have flooded the market with replicas to try to satiate our appetite for better blends. I can’t tell you how much I have spent trying out every fragrance place that markets the world’s best (whatever it is) only to be underwhelmed. 😫

• Like 2

On 1/19/2020 at 6:39 PM, Moonstar said:

Thank you so much ! 

The blood orange one is good at 6%, but the others I mentioned 8% for peppermint cocoa, 9% for grapefruit mint leaves, and with salted caramel kalhua just dont bother for candles

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Have you tried any of their wax or wood wicks ! Id like to try some but not sure what to try. Which FO's have you tried ? 

2 hours ago, Misfaya said:

The blood orange one is good at 6%, but the others I mentioned 8% for peppermint cocoa, 9% for grapefruit mint leaves, and with salted caramel kalhua just dont bother for candles

Thank you so much ! You used the virgin coconut soy not the bees wax cocoa cream, correct ? Im looking at the wood wicks and theres so many to choose from.

1 minute ago, Moonstar said:

Thank you so much ! You used the virgin coconut soy not the bees wax cocoa cream, correct ? Im looking at the wood wicks and theres so many to choose from.

I use the virgin coconut. But not with wood wicks, I chose HTP 73 in 2.7" in vessels, Premier 735 works fine too. I was pretty close with the wood wicks (If my memory is right) booster wick 3/8" w, 0.2.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Misfaya said:

I use the virgin coconut. But not with wood wicks, I chose HTP 73 in 2.7" in vessels, Premier 735 works fine too. I was pretty close with the wood wicks (If my memory is right) booster wick 3/8" w, 0.2.

Your always so helpful, thank you again :) 

On 10/8/2019 at 8:29 AM, candlesinflorida said:

Interested to hear about how a dupe turns out. I have bought Lab and Co and they ARE incredible-but ouch, the price.

And like all FO it is ridiculously hard to know what the scents will be like, and if you will like them, until you get them. But spending so much on a little sample size, makes me inclined NOT to buy much from them. Fyi I also have had some problems w their shipping although they took care of things nicely (once they were finally reachable lol).

edit to add-while I love two of the scents I purchased from them, the others I thought were not my cup of tea. And I have not gotten too much enthusiasm from customers. Will have to check the fragrance boards to see if there are suggestions! 

Which ones received little enthusiasm from customers ? Salt Air + Honeydew sounds really nice as does Grapefruit Gardenia and a few others lol !

My testing has been delayed, but I have randomly tried a few. As a general comment I think many of their FOs are so complex that they don’t have a dominant fragrance. I couldn’t tell a difference between two that I tried. This brought me to the idea that these might be the perfect FOs to blend with some of my FOs that tend to have one overly dominant fragrance, or that need to be toned down a bit. For example I have a lavender that I like that needs something to blend with. I also have a strong lemongrass that could stand a little complexity. Has anyone tried blending these with other FOs?  

i have to say i have a number of their oils (at least 15) and i am not super super impressed with all - but the dark cassis and the pink pepper vetiver were pretty good. i purchased many before i found other great options and i was just starting out, but thought all suppliers cant be this costly lol. i have loads of their wicks as well and even splurged on vessels for special orders. i have to say they are slow  with shipping and customer service needs improvement. if you are using as a luxe option then it works because you can charge more but other than that they were ok

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve spent a little time with my Lab & Co FOs and I thought I would share my thoughts. The two words I would use to describe these FOs are quality, and complex. I love the quality, but in some cases I think they took the complexity too far. Perhaps I just prefer an FO with a stronger main fragrance supported by others fragrances. To solve that issue I have tried blending a little bit of some other FOs. For example in the Lemon Verbena & Thyme I had trouble smelling the lemon, so I added just a bit of a strong lemongrass FO and I love the results. I was hoping to identify four of five of these FOs that I liked enough to order. That is an optimistic goal as my hit rate for samples is usually about 10%. With these I will have a hard time cutting my list down to five, I have only identified two that I don’t like. I will say that I’m more impressed with the HT than the CT, but that could be my nose. I should be finished playing with the FOs soon and I’ll give a review of the individual FOs then.

• Like 2

From all the testing I’ve done over the decades, nothing compares to a quality made base fragrance.

You can find some quality fragrances very inexpensively. Sometimes you have to buy specific manufacturers to get what you need. Sampling is the only way to find the trends that work for you. 

All I know is if I have to add double digit% worth a fragrance to a candle it’s going to completely screw up my candle. Like when choosing wicks, less fragrance to do the job will always be my preference.

@Forrest you are completely on the right path blending with strong base notes to find something unique. It does not take much lemon grass to make a potent candle.

• Thanks 1

First let me say that IMO these FOs can compete with any of the high end candles I know of. While these have not been through the wife test yet there is only one out of ten that I didn’t like. I’m not good at fragrance reviews, but here are my thoughts on the ten that I tried.

LEMON VERBENA + THYME- Good HT, complex, but a little too light on the lemon for my taste, I added about 15% Lemongrass and I love it. I also tried blending it with a Lemon Verbena which did not work well.

PINK PEPPER + VETIVER- I can’t really describe this scent, but the throw is Ok and the scent is very pleasant.

ROSE PATCHOULI + AMBER- A very soft, complex floral, I generally don’t like florals, but I liked this one.

ORANGE RIND + CLOVE- Nicely balanced between the orange and clove. It will make a good holiday scent.

OUD PATCHOULI + RESINS- A bit soapy, I do not like this one.

BLOOD ORANGE + LIME AGAVE- Not a bad fragrance, I thought it needed more orange so I tried adding some blood orange and that did not work

PEAR + HONEY- Best pear fragrance I have tried, light and very pleasant

BLACK CURRANT + RHUBARB- Really did not like this one, but I added about 30% blood orange and it made a very nice fruity fragrance that was not sweet. Definitely a keeper.

EAU DE MER + AMBER- The first time I tried it I hated it. I tried it again and really liked it, then I added a little lemon grass and loved it.

BERGAMOT + AMBERGRIS- It was a bit sharp, or maybe bitter, so I blended it with a Sea Salt and Orchid and it was wonderful.

• Like 1