Jump to content

IGI 6098 Victory Blend vs Joy Wax


DarrinB
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am currently using Joy wax from Natures Garden for jar and tins. I have heard that 6098 was a very good wax, however the cost for a case is $139.99 per case (at least that's the cost at Candles and supplies0 which is almost $40 more then Joy wax. Have anyone used either of these waxes? If so is the cost for 6098 worth the extra cost?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Candles and supplies case only includes 40 pounds...if you did not notice.  DPSwax has a case (60 pounds) for $111.85 but this does not include shipping.  However, DPS gives great freight prices if you need bulk purchases in the future.  I would like to know if anyone is still using this wax as well.  I have read some past threads but it has been awhile since anyone has mentioned it.  I wonder if it is as firm as 6006 or say CBL 130 which is even firmer than 6006.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I'm currently testing the IGI 6098 and it's FAR SUPERIOR to the horrid 6006.. It's beautiful and creamy and at 8% it throws like crazy. It acts very similar to coconut waxes and heats to high temps- 200°.. It's considered a luxury parasoy and I believe it has more soy than paraffin or maybe 50/50

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PINKT said:

I'm currently testing the IGI 6098 and it's FAR SUPERIOR to the horrid 6006.. It's beautiful and creamy and at 8% it throws like crazy. It acts very similar to coconut waxes and heats to high temps- 200°.. It's considered a luxury parasoy and I believe it has more soy than paraffin or maybe 50/50

The only caveat I see with that wax is the low melt point, it would be horrible for shipping candles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 6:12 PM, ErronB said:

The only caveat I see with that wax is the low melt point, it would be horrible for shipping candles. 

No worse than coconut waxes and I have never had an issue with them melting in transit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 8:53 AM, PINKT said:

No worse than coconut waxes and I have never had an issue with them melting in transit

It has a melt point of 118, I don't know where you live, but here in Florida that would turn sloppy in 1 trip in the back of a truck. I usually stick to 125-130. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ErronB said:

It has a melt point of 118, I don't know where you live, but here in Florida that would turn sloppy in 1 trip in the back of a truck. I usually stick to 125-130. 

I wonder if the gelling agent in the lower melt point version helps keep it from being too sloppy. I’m back in the saddle testing new ideas, and some gels hold better than others.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NightLight said:

I’m going to test this wax because I hate almost all the waxes out there. 4627, 6006, 4630 seem like they need updating. Flaming paraffins are only ok. Constant battle and tweaking.

I'm tempted too. Hate ordering from C&S though. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I wonder if the gelling agent in the lower melt point version helps keep it from being too sloppy. I’m back in the saddle testing new ideas, and some gels hold better than others.


I am tempted to try it, 4627 just about holds up for me. I can’t imagine something with a melt point that low would work out, but this is candle stuff we are talking about, a lot of things don’t make sense so who knows…

16 hours ago, NightLight said:

I’m going to test this wax because I hate almost all the waxes out there. 4627, 6006, 4630 seem like they need updating. Flaming paraffins are only ok. Constant battle and tweaking.

Let us know how it goes, it is another IGI wax so I’m still anxious about it lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NightLight said:

They deliver in one day to me, so it’s kinda of a win. Trying a slab to see if it’s better than 6006.

Just got a slab and it’s a hard slab not buttery soft so will see how it performs.

Same for me. I'm in CT. Shipping is just a little outrageous with them wanting 28$ :(

 

let us know how it goes :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

What is the issue wicking this wax? If flame flickers wick down, if tiny flame wick up. Go for at least two hour wick burn. Try cd wicks, or eco. Lx may work. Test test test. I like the wax for solid containers. Easy pour high temp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the same problem with those kinds of waxes. Heat from a simple flame melts too much for the rate of consumption of the wick. It’s a very tricky balance.
 

With those I typically add something harder to burn like a higher melt point paraffin, a Beeswax, castor wax, palm wax, sunflower wax, soy wax, you get the idea.
 

Plus I drop down into different wick series like CDN. There’s absolutely no room for over wicking on those waxes.

 

The choice of vessels is important too. If you have to multi wick a low melt point wax like that it’s just not worth it since two flames or three flames warm too much for the rate of consumption. A wide straight sided jar is preferable to any sort of neck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, NightLight said:

What is the issue wicking this wax? If flame flickers wick down, if tiny flame wick up. Go for at least two hour wick burn. Try cd wicks, or eco. Lx may work. Test test test. I like the wax for solid containers. Easy pour high temp.

When I first tried this wax a few months ago, I used 8% fragrance and zinc 51-32-18 in a large apothecary jar and it was a beautiful burn and great hot throw.. now, trying this wax again, I'm finding the zinc 51 isn't hot enough, but the zinc 60 is too big.. have tried CD and LX ..and I think the CD burn too hot .. been making candles for 12 years so I know what to look for in wicking, I guess I'm just super used to wicking coconut waxes and to me this wax is very similar.. I did try the fragrance at 10% but wow, the wax was getting very dark and the burn was horrible.. I'm going to try 6% and see how that does.. I'm trying to wick a 24oz Mason jar.. What % fragrance do you use and what jar/wick has worked for you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...