Do you charge for samples?

Testing123

A retail store is interested in carrying your candles. Do you ship/send the samples (tealights) for free or do you charge? So far I have been sending them for free. But some stores never end up ordering. I think I should charge and if the store orders wholesale, deduct that amount from wholesale. You think stores will go for that?

I don't charge for samples, but I also don't ship them.  Any samples are picked up or delivered locally.  If I were to ship, I would probably offer the samples for free but charge for the shipping.   That said, I really like TT's suggestion.....and it should weed out the ones who aren't really serious, I would think.

• Like 1

I haven't been trying to get into any retail outlets. It sounds like you're using the same size sample as I am. I'm using those "maxi cup" size candles for samples. I include one for free in all the orders I send out; and I send one that I think the customer might like (I make an educated guess) based on the fragrance they just ordered. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

One strategy is to charge for the samples, then offer all or part of that $ amount as a credit on the next wholesale order. Keep the WS order minimums high enough to cover the costs of samples, etc. 

Do you think retailers will be okay with that...or would it turn them off? I guess the way to find out is to try lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Testing123 said:

Do you think retailers will be okay with that...or would it turn them off? I guess the way to find out is to try lol

It helps weed out retailers I would not want to do business with. Wholesale is a partnership, not a discount market. I'm not out to "wholesale" 2 or 3 items so they can give out cheap gifts. The MOQ, order volume and required dollar volume per rolling 12 months on my WS agreement sets the tone.

If I approach the market asking them to wholesale for me, I give full size product for them to test so they know what I'm offering.

If they ask me, they are usually already familiar with my products and don't need samples.

I always send out samples of new things with wholesale orders so they know what is coming up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

It helps weed out retailers I would not want to do business with. Wholesale is a partnership, not a discount market. I'm not out to "wholesale" 2 or 3 items so they can give out cheap gifts. The MOQ, order volume and required dollar volume per rolling 12 months on my WS agreement sets the tone.

If I approach the market asking them to wholesale for me, I give full size product for them to test so they know what I'm offering.

If they ask me, they are usually already familiar with my products and don't need samples.

I always send out samples of new things with wholesale orders so they know what is coming up.

Thank you Tall! I really appreciate your reply! can you please explain this part " required dollar volume per rolling 12 months " what is purpose of that? TIA

Edited by Testing123

18 hours ago, Testing123 said:

required dollar volume per rolling 12 months " what is purpose of that? TIA

I assume it is just to help with the high and lows vendors have over the year.  Encourages them to buy more.  And is flexible for which month they first purchased in.

• Like 1

This is largely to prevent once a year ordering. How many times do people look for a “wholesale “order at Christmas just to give cheap gifts?

it also smooths our ordering throughout the year. This provides plenty of oppotrunity to dialog with the customer. And... a chance to offer fresh, new items and keep customers coming back for MORE. Nothing worse on a retailer shelf than same-old same-old stuff with nothing thing new to buy. 

• Like 1