IGI 6046 wick help

I may just go bonkers while testing the 6046 from CS. I like the wax, I do, but these wicks....I have tried HTP from 62 through 105 and CD 6 through 14. Every flame burned wildly all over the place except the cd 6 (too small). I’m using 6% FO and trimming wicks. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better wick to use?

that is coconut paraffin, right?

do you have any pics of the burns of those considered a bit too small? this blend wants to be wicked on the smaller side.

that said, have you tried CSN or CDN. both burn a touch different and overall a bit cooler with similar sizing from the CD.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

that is coconut paraffin, right?

do you have any pics of the burns of those considered a bit too small? this blend wants to be wicked on the smaller side.

that said, have you tried CSN or CDN. both burn a touch different and overall a bit cooler with similar sizing from the CD.

Yes it is. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures. The CD 6 I tried was a pretty small flame, it almost went out on its own. I haven’t tried the CSN or CDN wicks.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, pinkcow said:

I may just go bonkers while testing the 6046 from CS. I like the wax, I do, but these wicks....I have tried HTP from 62 through 105 and CD 6 through 14. Every flame burned wildly all over the place except the cd 6 (too small). I’m using 6% FO and trimming wicks. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better wick to use?

have you tried smaller than the HTP 62?  I guess I should ask firstly what size vessel you are using?  I love the 6046.  I'm using an HTP 62 in a 13 oz, 3 1/4" jar and it's perfect.  Please provide more info and a pic of your container 

• Like 1

HTPs and CDs will not work in that wax great at all, you will get a lot of sooting and so bad mushrooming that it affects the burn too much.

Smaller CDN wicks are the one's that is recommended by IGI for that wax. Try CDN (Stabilo KST) 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 for the best results.

You will not have the best throw until you burned down half of your candle unfortunately but those wicks will work from top to bottom with that wax.

On it's own I have not found it to be an ideal wax for hot throw in my containers.

3 hours ago, strugglebrother said:

HTPs and CDs will not work in that wax great at all, you will get a lot of sooting and so bad mushrooming that it affects the burn too much.

Smaller CDN wicks are the one's that is recommended by IGI for that wax. Try CDN (Stabilo KST) 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 for the best results.

You will not have the best throw until you burned down half of your candle unfortunately but those wicks will work from top to bottom with that wax.

On it's own I have not found it to be an ideal wax for hot throw in my containers.

I'm not getting any sooting or bad mushrooming in the 6046 with the CD wick.  

I completely agree with the hot throw.  I wasn't sure if it was the FO or the wax as I was testing a new scent.  Dang.  I love this wax.  Easy to melt and pour and the glass adhesion is to die for; no wet spots whatsoever.  I'm going to keep trying.  I think the heavy FO's will be fine.

I just burned a 6046 in a 3" dia jar with nag champa and nothing else added with an htp 105. Burned just shy of the edge of glass in 3 hr, no mushroom and used an htp 105. Try adding soy to it, it will help you a lot. This wax I don't think burns as hot as coconut 83, because in that wax I have to wick down.

20 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I completely agree with the hot throw.  I wasn't sure if it was the FO or the wax as I was testing a new scent.  Dang.  I love this wax.  Easy to melt and pour and the glass adhesion is to die for; no wet spots whatsoever.  I'm going to keep trying.  I think the heavy FO's will be fine.

Only way to not get sooting and mushrooming is to wick down a lot with this wax which leaves you with bad hot throw as you aren't getting a proper meltpool until later down the candle. CD is better than HTP, I agree, but I still get problems with the CD wicks. CDN is the only wick who gives a clean burn, but with mediocre hot throw.

Everything else with the wax is to die for, excellent looks... It's a shame

Edited by strugglebrother

Thank you all for the suggestions! I have tried the Premier 700 wick series and don’t mind the 735. I do get scent throw, it’s not overly strong but that’s ok with me, I can’t stand overwhelming scents. Definitely better hot throw than the 464 I was previously using had. 

21 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I have to make a correction to this post as I misspoke.  I meant to reference the HTP wick, not the CD wick. .  In my large 13 oz jar I'm only using a HTP62 as this wax does burn great with a smaller  wick; the melt pool is perfect.  This jar would require a much larger wick with my usual IGI 6006; in fact I accidentally test wicked a large candle that I thought was 6046 with an HTP 62 (it was actually 6006 wax) and the candle just laughed at me.  I'm not going to abandon this wax......

6 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I have to make a correction to this post as I misspoke.  I meant to reference the HTP wick, not the CD wick. .  In my large 13 oz jar I'm only using a HTP62 as this wax does burn great with a smaller  wick; the melt pool is perfect.  This jar would require a much larger wick with my usual IGI 6006; in fact I accidentally test wicked a large candle that I thought was 6046 with an HTP 62 (it was actually 6006 wax) and the candle just laughed at me.  I'm not going to abandon this wax......

HTP gives a bit more mushrooms for me than CD wicks in this wax. I usually get a mushroom so bad it's big like a fist when I get halfway down..

Like @TallTayl says... make sure you wick smaller with these waxes and don't aim for a full melt pool until much further down the vessel...

HTP seems sometime to give slightly better throw, but brings other problems

Here is an example picture from Candlescience's "lab notes"

https://www.candlescience.com/lab-notes-igi-6046-coconut-paraffin-candle-wax-blend

Look at that huge mushrooms and sooting is already happening at the beginning of the candle burn (around the rim of the candle). That must turn into a complete torch halfway down? CD24 is a HUGE wick for that wax. No wonder they are claiming good HT if they over wick that much. How will performance be at the last 50% of the candle? I'd love to see a picture of that too :)!

I would say this is a school example of bad wicking to me? And this is their customer recommendation....

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 17.56.46.png

• Confused 1

On 9/25/2019 at 8:05 PM, strugglebrother said:

I would say this is a school example of bad wicking to me? And this is their customer recommendation....

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 17.56.46.png

oh for heaven's sake----that's crazy!  And a little scary.  I guess you would call that a "fist torch".    

25 minutes ago, strugglebrother said:

The wax has great appearance, mixing it with something else could just be what the doctor ordered.....

Now the question of wicking on a blend with 6046/6006.  I'm using CD's with 6006 and HTP with the 6046.  Oh what a tangled web we weave.........:-)

• 1 year later...

I’m using the 6046 for the first time and I’m using the 8oz Jelly Jar at 10% FO. It seems to be doing great with the HTP62 wick. It’s not a full hour and hopefully I can come back to this post and take a picture of it