Incense Fail

Dolphin146

It probably was the FO, not anything you did wrong. I haven't tried that particular FO in incense, but there are some that just smell like smoke when lit. And some other that give off a chemical smell nothing like the FO. I test incense same as candles, cause you just never know. 

Are you using regular punks? Or charcoal? If you like to let them soak, that's fine, but for regular punks 15 minutes is more than enough. For charcoal I dip and dry. The sticks are super thin and it doesn't take long at all for them to get saturated with the mixture. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong by soaking them, that's just a tip that has saved me oodles of time. 😉

18 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

It probably was the FO, not anything you did wrong. I haven't tried that particular FO in incense, but there are some that just smell like smoke when lit. And some other that give off a chemical smell nothing like the FO. I test incense same as candles, cause you just never know. 

Are you using regular punks? Or charcoal? If you like to let them soak, that's fine, but for regular punks 15 minutes is more than enough. For charcoal I dip and dry. The sticks are super thin and it doesn't take long at all for them to get saturated with the mixture. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong by soaking them, that's just a tip that has saved me oodles of time. 😉

I'm using the regular punks. I will try a different FO and see what happens. I will also soak them less. Thanks

I would agree that is most likely the FO.  Coconut FOs can be light sometimes.  I usually use a 2:1 ratio for the mixture.  1 part FO and 2 parts DPG and soak for 24 hours.  This is what I have always done and it works for me.