Drilling a hole in pillar candles

I bought some grubby pillar molds and want to attempt making some. This is probably a dumb question but I'm guessing when you take the candle out of the mold you have to use a drill to drill a hole in the bottom for the wick. Is there a drill bit or drill that works best for this? 

Thanks for any help!

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

You could rig a wick pin or skewer to save a step. Or, thread the wick down into the hole, seal with putty or high temp metal tape and do it in one step. 

I think I have some wick pins but I'm not sure how to rig one. Are you saying before the wax gets completely hard to push a wick pin or skewer in through the bottom to make the hole? I'm completely oblivious as to how to do this obviously LOL! That would be a lot easier though. I hadn't even thought about using wick pins. Thank you for that reminder! I always think of the hardest ways to do something when there's usually a much simpler way.

3 hours ago, Belinda said:

Are your molds with the top of the candle facing up? How would I put one in there with the top of the candle down? 

A couple of ways:

1) Poke the stick part of the pin through the hole from the outside. Secure with tape or putty to prevent leaks. Make sure to use lots of candle release spray to allow the stem to release.

2) inside the mold like a votive candle. Seal the hole. Set the pin inside the bottom carefully and pour the candle.

for pillars I generally prefer to just use a wick from the get go. 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

A couple of ways:

1) Poke the stick part of the pin through the hole from the outside. Secure with tape or putty to prevent leaks. Make sure to use lots of candle release spray to allow the stem to release.

2) inside the mold like a votive candle. Seal the hole. Set the pin inside the bottom carefully and pour the candle.

for pillars I generally prefer to just use a wick from the get go. 

I'll try that. Which mold release do you recommend? I've never used that. Thank you!

I drilled a hole through a candle with one of Hub's wood drills and it worked okay. Then I saw a Youtube video of a guy drilling a hole with a wooden skewer. Like the kind you use for shish kabobs. He just clamped the skewer into the drill like it was a drill bit and went at it. I tried and it worked. Not super fast but I was going slow and trying to stay straight. I tend to drill off at an angle and no one wants a wonky wick. I was surprised the skewer worked but it did.