GW444 and wicks

Hello! I am currently using GW 444 Soy Wax and I am having a hard time with wick sizes. I use mason jars that are 8 oz The ball brand regular and wide mouth. So, the diameter is 2 inches  and 2.5 inches. I was curious to what size you all use for your candles?  Also, I typically use 1.5 to 2 oz of FO with no dye. 

444 is a tough one to recommend since lots of 444 vary wildly from box to box. 

Cd, eco and some cotton core were all fairly decent with the lots I have. 

In an 8 oz jar, (which holds roughly 6-6.5 oz of wax depending on how close to the top you pour), 1.5-2 oz is a pretty hefty FO load.

1.5 oz / 6.5 total oz = is over 20% fragrance.... waaaay too much for any candle wax to hold. Hopefully you meant 1.5-2 oz per lb of wax (which is still a bit on the high side) 

In that amount of wax I generally use a wee bit over .45 oz (8%) of most FO and get great throw when wicked well. 

• 2 months later...

I have been using 444 for  quite sometime now.  I use 11 oz. tureen jars and I use two RRD 40's in this jar and the scent throw is really good.  Have been having problems lately though, when the candle is first list the throw is awesome and then about half way, when lit there is no scent.  Can't figure out what's going on.

Marty

On 11/28/2019 at 9:02 AM, marty said:

I have been using 444 for  quite sometime now.  I use 11 oz. tureen jars and I use two RRD 40's in this jar and the scent throw is really good.  Have been having problems lately though, when the candle is first list the throw is awesome and then about half way, when lit there is no scent.  Can't figure out what's going on.

Marty

I've used two RRD 29 in a tureen with GW464, I'm wondering if perhaps your wicks might be a bit too large.

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2019 at 7:02 AM, marty said:

Marty

Did you ever figure out the problem with this? I’ve been having a similar issue with my 444, but I single wick using CD wicks. Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, ambar said:

Did you ever figure out the problem with this? I’ve been having a similar issue with my 444, but I single wick using CD wicks. Thanks for your help!

It's possible the wick is too hot and burning your FO off in the first burn.  You could try a temperature gun to check the temp, if it's heating past the FO's flash point, it's possible that's what could be happening.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, soylights said:

It's possible the wick is too hot and burning your FO off in the first burn.  You could try a temperature gun to check the temp, if it's heating past the FO's flash point, it's possible that's what could be happening.  

I believe that’s exactly what it was! Thanks so much I’ve been re-doing all of my formulas. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, soylights said:

Flash point is not a consideration in this case.  Once blended into wax, the flash point of the whole blend is much, much higher - by hundreds of degrees. 

Flash point is hugely important when shipping and handling the flammable and combustible material in its original state. 

Example: one of the most reliably potent throwers in all of my waxes from coconut to soy to beeswax to palm is Rustic Escentuals Lemon Verbena which has a flashpoint of 133*F. It is added to palm and coconut waxes at 210-220 degrees with no degradation of ct or hT. I use it in beeswax where the melt point of the wax for making pillars is only 155-160*F but the square braid #5 wick is like a clothesline to burn the wax and throw the FO.

in soy it throws, but is muted and a bit dulled because soy wax mutes and dulls fragrances.

Flash point WOULD be an issue in your candle if it is not blended well (or is over scented) and seeps or pools within the candle. In cases of free floating FO the flame can set fumes or the pool of unblended liquid alight. Likewise, If the candle is seeping or sweating FO to the top, a low FP candle fragrance can easily be set on fire. I strongly recommend not using flash point as a guide to temps used to blend FO into candle wax for these reasons. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Flash point is not a consideration in this case.  Once blended into wax, the flash point of the whole blend is much, much higher - by hundreds of degrees. 

Flash point is hugely important when shipping and handling the flammable and combustible material in its original state. 

Example: one of the most reliably potent throwers in all of my waxes from coconut to soy to beeswax to palm is Rustic Escentuals Lemon Verbena which has a flashpoint of 133*F. It is added to palm and coconut waxes at 210-220 degrees with no degradation of ct or hT. I use it in beeswax where the melt point of the wax for making pillars is only 155-160*F but the square braid #5 wick is like a clothesline to burn the wax and throw the FO.

in soy it throws, but is muted and a bit dulled because soy wax mutes and dulls fragrances.

Flash point WOULD be an issue in your candle if it is not blended well (or is over scented) and seeps or pools within the candle. In cases of free floating FO the flame can set fumes or the pool of unblended liquid alight. Likewise, If the candle is seeping or sweating FO to the top, a low FP candle fragrance can easily be set on fire. I strongly recommend not using flash point as a guide to temps used to blend FO into candle wax for these reasons. 

Oh I must’ve mis-read the initial response! I never worry about flashpoint since I never have seeping or anything. But I do think my wick was way too big and burning off too much oil the first burn. The glass temp was way too hot!! Thanks for the info.