Melts and Tarts

I’ve noticed that in my research on selling palm products. Etsy and Amazon have few palm sellers and the sales are much lower than soy and paraffin competitors. 

Not sure if that’s people are anti palm or that they tend to type in soy as a search term.  

I have read many reviews where people have had bad experiences with palm in the past- no/little fragrance and they aren’t willing to give palm another try. 

Which seems weird, bc people have bad experiences with soy or paraffin and don’t write off the wax entirely. 

Edited by Sebleo

6 hours ago, Sebleo said:

I have read many reviews where people have had bad experiences with palm in the past- no/little fragrance and they aren’t willing to give palm another try. 

Which seems weird, bc people have bad experiences with soy or paraffin and don’t write off the wax entirely. 

I get the hardly any fragrance thing, since most people don't realize you need to change out the bulb to a 40 watt or use an electric plate. I just put up a soy tart just to see.

5 hours ago, CandleRush said:

As of late, pro blend 650 is really easy to use, for me at least. I buy it from Flaming. Para/soy blend.🌸

Is the 650 better than the 6006 for tarts? I see it has 52% soy compared to the 30% the 6006 has.

I’ve never used 6006 so I can’t compare.

I think if you do a search here there are posts and some recipes using a combination of waxes so definitely check it out.

Ive also blended 464 with pro blend for melts with success. I have pink revised fo been sitting in my tart burner that I haven’t melted yet and the cold throw is strong. I made that batch 4 months ago🌸

6006 is a bit soft for melts.  I just started playing with the problend 650 & 600.  I am loving that so far, the 600 container wax has never had a single sink hole for me & has been a perfect one pour wax.  Throw seems pretty similar to 6006, so I may be moving towards that. I am thinking about picking up some 464 too & adding to the 6006 to see if it would pour more like the Problend 600.

I haven't made clam shells yet ,because I am only using soy 464 , from what I have read its not good to use 464 because its to soft. I made little melts in mini paper nut cups and when I took them  out  they were firm and not mushy or soft , maybe just a little slick but no biggie , So is it ok to use 464 for melts .

Thanks

Right now I am using Golden Wax Melt and Tart Soy Wax because we accidentally ordered it for something else. So far I like the feel and look of it but don't know if it is any good with Hot throw. If anyone else has experience with this wax please let me know.

I use paraffin for my melts, and I still make some palm ones too. But I don't do online sales, just in-person, so I can make sure they understand the palm tarts require a much hotter warmer.

Generally, I sell more candles than tarts and clamshells. I get the impression that people aren't looking for handmade with the melts and are not willing to pay the higher price for them. I have a hard time competing with Walmart and their $2 clamshells around here.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 5:54 PM, CaptnKush said:

Right now I am using Golden Wax Melt and Tart Soy Wax because we accidentally ordered it for something else. So far I like the feel and look of it but don't know if it is any good with Hot throw. If anyone else has experience with this wax please let me know.

You'll only figure out if hot throw is good for you by ongoing testing.   I've seen many people say that certain things work for them...and they simply don't for me. 

• Like 2

Not to mention how over saturated the melt/tart market is right now...especially online. I decided to focus on my first love which is candles.
Also, there's an unrealistic expectation of how long a 1oz melt/tart should last. What throws well for one, doesn't necessarily throw well for someone else. Sense of smell is individual. Testing is key, same as with candles. :)

• Like 1

Well so far I am loving this 494 tart wax. Easy to use and very strong HT. I really love the finish product of this wax, and it feels like I am pouring oil not wax because of all the botanicals that are in it.  Accidental buy turned out to be a good one. Too bad we can't sell a single one on Etsy. Lots of visits but no buys.

I sell a lot more clams locally than online.  That being said, I don't really list my individual wax melts by scent so they can be easily found in searches.  If online customers order them, fine.  But my online sales focus is definitely candles, not wax melts or soaps or lip balms.  Most of my sales in those latter categories are local.  :) 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I sell a lot more clams locally than online.  That being said, I don't really list my individual wax melts by scent so they can be easily found in searches.  If online customers order them, fine.  But my online sales focus is definitely candles, not wax melts or soaps or lip balms.  Most of my sales in those latter categories are local.  :) 

Weirdly the same here WRT products that sell best online vs in person here. 

• Like 1