Advertising on CraftServer, replacing AdSense

TallTayl

AdSense has been placing strange, large sized ads recently. I don’t see that trend ending any time soon.

all along AdSense also managed to tweak their algorithm to pay less and less despite heavier traffic. The forum costs the same amount to operate every year regardless of what AdSense wishes to reward for re 

CraftServer had a “No Self Promotion Policy” long before I took ownership. Seems like this is a good time to consider a fair way to self-promote. How would you like to have the opportunity to buy targeted ad space right here on CraftServer? Several areas are available from which to choose:

1) the top banner.  Visible to all who visit CraftServer at the top of every page.

2) top of home pages. It’s the ad above announcements, and above the first unread thread on summary pages.

3) after each first post in a thread. 

4) side bar. Under the most recent threads section.

5) footer. The bottom of every page

6) in your signature line

The first 5 allow me to report your views and clicks activity in a sort of performance report so you will know how well your ad space has performed.  A test ad for a member in the footer region collected >10k views and dozens of clicks in the first week of the trial. 

You could combine your ad space with promotion codes, specials, etc. to maximize your ad investment. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I am relatively new to this forum and mostly just read posts.  Regardless, I think it's a great idea!  I love that this forum has always been focused on educating, learning, and sharing.  If the new ads are a way to keep this great service going, then I am all for it.  Personally, I really love the idea of links in people's signature lines.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a good idea, don't see any harm in it. You gotta do what you can to "keep the lights on", LOL. I like checking out people's websites and businesses, it's interesting to see people's ideas, tastes and talents. I don't have a business to advertise yet but I'm working on it. 😊

Edited by Laura C
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KrisS said:

Does it have to be one or the other?  Is a combination possible?  It would be the best of both worlds for advertising revenue.

It is possible. It depends on the placement of the specific ads. Each ad gets "impressions" and "click through" statistics. Each ad generates its own pittance of revenue.

I'd rather set up partnerships with suppliers and members to let this community help us, versus random AdSense people. I have been seeing political ads, which disappoints me terribly.  candles, soap, supplies and member goodies whether related or not would keep this place happier.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It is possible. It depends on the placement of the specific ads. Each ad gets "impressions" and "click through" statistics. Each ad generates its own pittance of revenue.

I'd rather set up partnerships with suppliers and members to let this community help us, versus random AdSense people. I have been seeing political ads, which disappoints me terribly.  candles, soap, supplies and member goodies whether related or not would keep this place happier.

:)  Do it!!!  You have to deal with the kvetching and cranky PMs. 

Personally, I don't care what the group does as long as it doesn't become a fully sponsored board where the only products you can discuss are the sponsors'.  My ONLY other concern in having the suppliers as sponsors is that there may be expectations that all input about their products be positive and without constructive criticism. 

I'm on a FB group where you can only praise the sponsor and only talk about the sponsor.  It gets rather old, and mewling sycophants annoy me.

Edited by KrisS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KrisS said:

:)  Do it!!!  You have to deal with the kvetching and cranky PMs. 

Personally, I don't care what the group does as long as it doesn't become a fully sponsored board where the only products you can discuss are the sponsors'.  My ONLY concern in having the suppliers as sponsors is that there may be expectations that all input about their products be positive and without constructive criticism.

ZOMG I know what you mean. I'd shut ads down hard and fast if that were to happen. 

thanks for bringing this up!

• Like 2

If it were possible, I would like, the candle fragrance companies to have ads on the right-hand side of the page so we could easily click through to their websites when someone mentions their company.  Since a number of members use abbreviations, it would be nice to also have a "key" at the top of the list of ads so those of us who can't remember anything (me), would know that, say, "CRA" refers to the "Can't Remember Anything" fragrance company. *shudder*  (That isn't a priority; I should just do this myself and print it off.) 

GoldieMN

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 5:52 AM, GoldieMN said:

If it were possible, I would like, the candle fragrance companies to have ads on the right-hand side of the page so we could easily click through to their websites when someone mentions their company.  Since a number of members use abbreviations, it would be nice to also have a "key" at the top of the list of ads so those of us who can't remember anything (me), would know that, say, "CRA" refers to the "Can't Remember Anything" fragrance company. *shudder*  (That isn't a priority; I should just do this myself and print it off.) 

GoldieMN

That is brilliant!