What could I cover my work surface with?

I spent Labor Day laboring in the garage, so now I have a work space. I won’t go into the reasons I’m using my great great grandmother’s mahogany dining room table to make candles in the garage as it is a long story, but there it is. I would prefer to have something between the mahogany and the candle making. I’m looking for ideas on what I could protect the surface with. It is a drop leaf table so I need something flexible. Do any of you cover your work space?

I work on a table that was crafted by my FIL ...it's just a plain ole wooden table.  But I do keep it covered with several layers of newspapers to catch/absorb any leaks.  Yeah, there are times when wax seems to seep thru the paper covering but considering the fact that the table top is basic wood, I take my heat gun and heat the surface and wipe it down.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pam W said:

I work on a table that was crafted by my FIL ...it's just a plain ole wooden table.  But I do keep it covered with several layers of newspapers to catch/absorb any leaks.  Yeah, there are times when wax seems to seep thru the paper covering but considering the fact that the table top is basic wood, I take my heat gun and heat the surface and wipe it down.

Newspapers? I didn't know they still made those.🤣

1 hour ago, barbaranj said:

It sounds like a nice piece of furniture that needs protection!

I saved it from the scrap heap almost 30 years ago and finding a use for it now has saved it again. Thank you, you have given me an idea. The dollar store has plastic table cloths that might be just what I need, and I believe we may have one at home.

• Like 1

That’s funny, I have that same table buts it’s in my dinning room. I bought a cheap padded vinyl covering. It comes on a big roll/ by the yard and cut it to fit at Joann’s fabric. Walmart May have it. I then put freezer paper over that. This covering is very cheap, had it for 20 yrs.🌸

• Like 1

I do a couple things. I have a dedicated workspace with surfaces I want to protect. So my main work area I have pieces of glass covering the surface, then use freezer paper, or messy liquid jobs Amzn dog pee pads ( plain). The pads work really well for soap FYI. You can cut open garbage bags too, pretty simple.

• Like 1

Hey Forrest....why not cover this special piece of family history with a CHEAP piece of plywood...then cover that with newspapers, baking sheets, etc.  If any dribbles get thru the paper, it won't get thru the plywood...inexpensive and fool-proof...kwim?