Candle label size tin containers

On 8/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, MelMel said:

I was wondering if anyone knows what size labels to use for tin candles. I’m using a 1oz, 4oz and 8oz tin candles from Uline. 

ULINE 17906 UNLINE 19908

The answer to your question depends on you.  What kind of look do you want you achieve from your labels?

If you want full wrap around look, then your 8oz tin will need two 2.75" circular labels(one on the top & the other possible warning label on bottom) & one wrap around label in 1 1/4" x 10" size.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Exact size of your wrap around label for 8 oz tin should be 1 1/4" x 9 31/32".  I don't use 1oz & 4oz tin, so I am not going to able to give you exact sizes.  You will need to measure them by yourself unless someone else in here has experience with those tin sizes and share their knowledge with you.

For the top circle & height, you just need to measure the size from your tins.  For the length, you need to wrap a paper or thread around your tin, mark it, and measure it to get exact size. 

For circular labels, I buy them in different sizes.  But for the wrap around labels, I just buy them in sheets and cut them off using paper cutter.

Even if you find the right sizes, I have feeling that you are going to have hard time designing labels for those small size tins due to small space.  

I hope this would helped you little.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much!! This will definitely get me started... and my friends a graphic designer and my other friend works for a custom print shop so I’m thinking I might just send them each a example and hopefully they will know best for the smaller containers :) 

If you can have those friends to help you out, then you have an upper hand.  In my opinion, container & label design is one of the most important part of successful candle business.  I have spent more time & resources on design logo, labels, printers, & flyers than actual development of decent candle.  Good luck with your journey!  I am very curious about how your small tin designs would come out. 

1510679813_Picture1.thumb.jpg.24c42d5a72ec26d176ee26240dd74125.jpg

Quality of picture in here is not so good, so it might be hard tell from this picture.  Each one is different label materials and has different quality.  You will need to play with few different types of label papers in order to achieve the best result.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2019 at 7:01 PM, BusyBee said:

If you can have those friends to help you out, then you have an upper hand.  In my opinion, container & label design is one of the most important part of successful candle business.  I have spent more time & resources on design logo, labels, printers, & flyers than actual development of decent candle.  Good luck with your journey!  I am very curious about how your small tin designs would come out. 

1510679813_Picture1.thumb.jpg.24c42d5a72ec26d176ee26240dd74125.jpg

Quality of picture in here is not so good, so it might be hard tell from this picture.  Each one is different label materials and has different quality.  You will need to play with few different types of label papers in order to achieve the best result.

Hi busybee,

I'm currently working on my labels and am collaborating with an artist. They are the main focus of our candles so have to be good! Can you let me know if you print yours yourself or get them printed (and are happy with that choice?) I am looking into getting them printed since I'm worried that my printed quality won't be good enough but of course that gets expensive. But so does ink...so...

Any guidance is appreciated! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Xersis said:

Hi busybee,

I'm currently working on my labels and am collaborating with an artist. They are the main focus of our candles so have to be good! Can you let me know if you print yours yourself or get them printed (and are happy with that choice?) I am looking into getting them printed since I'm worried that my printed quality won't be good enough but of course that gets expensive. But so does ink...so...

Any guidance is appreciated! Thank you!

Hi there,

I print my own labels, and I am more than happy with the result.  And I think I am getting better quality labels this way unless it is very expensive high quality labels we are talking about.  I also get to do warning label that looks a lot better than what is available out there. 

I use Epson WF 7110 inkjet printer to print labels with lots of colorful graphics, and I use Samsung CLX-6260FD for less graphic with more lettering color labels.  I also use black & white laser printer to do black labels (I get true black using black & white laser printer.).  I laminate the labels most of the time except when I do Kraft paper type labels.  

I am using after market ink tank & connectors for my inkjet printer.  Ink cost is less than a penny for each candle doing it this way.  It is true that quality of after market inkjet inks are inferior to original.  But the result are fine and looks professional as long as I use pigment ink and laminate them.  For laser toners, I use recharged toners.  I have learned to recharge laser toners myself to save more money on laser toner cost, but I haven't had to use that skill yet.  I think I am getting a lot better quality labels at fraction of the cost of what I can get from third party label companies.  For blank labels, I did not had to use expensive fancy type labels.  Any cheap basic type blank labels work fine as long as you laminate them.  You just need to figure out what(gloss, semi gloss or matte) works best for your artist's artwork.  Lamination film cost is the most expensive part of labels, but it is worth doing it.

This was done using color laser printer.  A lot less graphic than the ones that I do on inkjet printers.

image.thumb.png.149d2b5e2fad6bfb803db084542d6108.png

• Like 1

Thank you! They look really good.

May I ask how you stick them on after laminating? I used to do the lamination for my kid's school, so I know how to do it on the big machines, but have never done it at home. 

5 hours ago, Xersis said:

Thank you! They look really good.

May I ask how you stick them on after laminating? I used to do the lamination for my kid's school, so I know how to do it on the big machines, but have never done it at home. 

I think what you have used for your kid's school project are laminating pouches.  What we need for candle labeling is Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets like this in the picture.  There are many others, but these are least expensive and gets the job done.  Walmart has the best price on these.  Their regular price is close to $14 per 50 sheets, but I buy them in bunch when they have sales at $11.97.  If you want to see how laminating look comes out, then you can test laminate labels by using any clear packing tapes first.

image.thumb.png.d1c0c90fc57df4790e5000b22fced7b0.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, BusyBee said:

I think what you have used for your kid's school project are laminating pouches.  What we need for candle labeling is Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets like this in the picture.  There are many others, but these are least expensive and gets the job done.  Walmart has the best price on these.  Their regular price is close to $14 per 50 sheets, but I buy them in bunch when they have sales at $11.97.  If you want to see how laminating look comes out, then you can test laminate labels by using any clear packing tapes first.

image.thumb.png.d1c0c90fc57df4790e5000b22fced7b0.png

Actually, my kid's school was a big machine with two rollers. This is much easier though - thanks!