Vanilla FO recs?

Darbla

My first purpose is for making a spray specifically for layering under other 'fumes, but I might like to use it just by itself too.  What got me onto this thought was wanting something to slightly modfy a commercially produced EdT I have (Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers) that I've been wearing a lot lately.  I feel like it could benefit from a vanilla note under it, which got me to wondering what FOs I could use to make a basic spray for layering like that.  What do you all think?  What are your favorite vanillas?  Would you use a simpler, less complex vanilla if you were intending to layer it with other scents?  I'm kind of thinking Vanilla Bean Noel for all purposes but would love to hear your thoughts too.  Please discuss any vanillas at all, not just something for making a body spray.

Edited by Darbla
  • Shocked 1

On a related note, have you ever played with using vanilla extract from the kitchen in some of your creations?  Since that's what women used to use straight up for perfume.  I'm sure it wouldn't work in a candle but I'm thinking it might contribute something to perfumes or body sprays.

Back in the day, very early experimenting, I’ve used vanilla extracts, organic and regular in my body oils, lip balm perfume all flops. Save those for your baking lol!

in my essential oil perfume blends I’ve used vanilla from Eden botanicals but depending on the vanilla crop can be super expensive. They have a few different kinds last I checked. Your blend may cloud also. This is not a true essential oil but they mix well with oils. I’d be too expensive for candles. I’ve been using other essential oils that are close to vanilla but are subtle, benzoin and balsam of Peru.

I like your idea of blending your perfume with vanilla fragrance oil. I can’t recommend one over the other, I love vanilla! but I would mix up 2 or 3 tiny vials, one with one drop, one with 2 drops, etc. Top off with your perfume Wait 24 hrs. The blend needs to mingle!🌸

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DS Ultimate Vanilla might work for you as it's not a foody type of scent (at least to my nose) unlike her Vanilla Delicious; Ultimate Vanilla is a very sophisticated type of vanilla.  DS Ultimate Vanilla is OOS right now but Vanilla Voodoo by Candle Cocoon is identical.   DS Indulgent One and Wood Vanilla might be something you may want to check out as well.  These are dupes of perfumes but are very lovely.  You might want to also look into JS Vanilla Bean (very clean).  Most of the vanillas I use and love are really heavy on the sweeter and bakery type notes.

18 hours ago, Moneypenny said:

My hands down absolute favorite vanilla of all time is Bittercreek's Vanilla Bean Supreme!  It is the strongest and best vanilla I have ever had and is a best seller.  I pour pure soy candles and do para soy melts.  Always a winner!

Does this smell similar to Vanilla Bean Noel or Mrs Claus Cookies from NG?  I have a sample order going on at BC and might pick up a sample of it.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 12:05 PM, Belinda said:

Does this smell similar to Vanilla Bean Noel or Mrs Claus Cookies from NG?  I have a sample order going on at BC and might pick up a sample of it.

Belinda, it doesn't smell like VBN or Mrs Claus Cookies.  It's a really nice strong vanilla bean scent with no bakery (cake) notes but it is sweet and strong.  It's awesome!  I like BC Vanilla Bean but JS Southern Style Vanilla is my favorite....it's a dupe of Ms. Randy's Vanilla bean.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, soshiegirl said:

Belinda, it doesn't smell like VBN or Mrs Claus Cookies.  It's a really nice strong vanilla bean scent with no bakery (cake) notes but it is sweet and strong.  It's awesome!  I like BC Vanilla Bean but JS Southern Style Vanilla is my favorite....it's a dupe of Ms. Randy's Vanilla bean.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2019 at 7:25 PM, Darbla said:

Is there a spicy, Autumn kind of smelling vanilla that is skin-safe?  Or suggestions on what I can blend to make a good one for perfume?

Vanilla Bean Warm Noel from Indigo is my absolute favorite vanilla. Very vanilla, very caramel-cozy, very sweet.

As for an Autumn kind of vanilla, my first thought went to Vanilla Milk from Arizona Mad Oils. I, personally, feel the description is way off. I was expecting a slightly sweet, milky, perfect vanilla... nope. It's definitely vanilla, but my nose easily picks up a spicy cinnamon-like note from beginning to end. I purchased the 2oz and will not be using it. Unfortunate, because the shipping was pricey. It's not a bad FO and I can see it being used in Autumnal fragrances, just wasn't what I was looking for.

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, Moneypenny said:

My hands down absolute favorite vanilla of all time is Bittercreek's Vanilla Bean Supreme!  It is the strongest and best vanilla I have ever had and is a best seller.  I pour pure soy candles and do para soy melts.  Always a winner!

Does it have that coconut undertone that a lot of vanillas do? 

• 2 years later...
On 9/1/2019 at 1:26 PM, soshiegirl said:

DS Ultimate Vanilla might work for you as it's not a foody type of scent (at least to my nose) unlike her Vanilla Delicious; Ultimate Vanilla is a very sophisticated type of vanilla.  DS Ultimate Vanilla is OOS right now but Vanilla Voodoo by Candle Cocoon is identical.   DS Indulgent One and Wood Vanilla might be something you may want to check out as well.  These are dupes of perfumes but are very lovely.  You might want to also look into JS Vanilla Bean (very clean).  Most of the vanillas I use and love are really heavy on the sweeter and bakery type notes.

Hi there, can you tell me your favorite bakery/sweet vanillas? I'm having such a hard time to find a rich luscious vanilla.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:40 PM, se2653 said:

Check out Daystar, she has quite a few great vanilla fragrances. My favorite now is Ultimate Vanilla, just love it in my lotion!

Yes Daystar had the best vanillas. My fave is vanilla delicious.

Amber Aoud has all the olfactory notes you'll love. Spicy, sweet undertones would do well with vanilla!! This parfume is amazing. I layer mine with Juliette has a Gun..  (not a Perfume. YES that's the name. Invented by Romano Ricci. Nina Ricci  Invented her own fragrance as well L`Air du Temps. Which also would do well with Vanilla. 

♡♡♡