Running Candle Making Business Out of House in CA

BusyBee

I have question for chandlers in California.  Has anyone doing this candle making business out of a house?  I went to the City to register my business out of a house, and I got denied.  As you know we have all kinds of regulations in CA.  I live in Los Angeles County and I even had gone to next Riverside County also.  They said "NO" also.  I have LLC set up and I should be able to get seller's permit without a problem, but I cannot get city business license to operate out of a house.  Does anyone know how to get business license operating out of a house for candle making business?

My city required me to get a business license before I could operate out of my house. To get a bus lic. I needed to have a business checking account, get a ficticious business name, run the notice in the local paper, and wait months for the local fire marshal to sign off that my "busines set up would be safe?"  (He never did come check out the house, so I have no idea what he did).   My zoning is such that I cannot SELL from my house, but I can manufacture.  People outside the city limits in my county do not need one.

I checked with Diamond Bar(LA county), San Jacinto(Riverside county) & Desert Hot Springs(Riverside county) city planning department, and none of them was allowing Candle Making from a house.  I can operate selling candle business out of a house as long as no customer comes to my house to do actual transaction.  I thought I figured out everything, and this was something unexpected because I thought many are doing this from their house.

14 hours ago, BusyBee said:

I checked with Diamond Bar(LA county), San Jacinto(Riverside county) & Desert Hot Springs(Riverside county) city planning department, and none of them was allowing Candle Making from a house.  I can operate selling candle business out of a house as long as no customer comes to my house to do actual transaction.  I thought I figured out everything, and this was something unexpected because I thought many are doing this from their house.

Many, Many do not get a business license and that is how they are doing it.  Most Craft fairs require only liability insurance that covers you at each event address (some req nothing).  To sell on Etsy, Ebay etc you need nothing.  To set up a website, you need nothing.  I always did the license and insurance and ran it like a business but know many that didn't.

20 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Many, Many do not get a business license and that is how they are doing it.  Most Craft fairs require only liability insurance that covers you at each event address (some req nothing).  To sell on Etsy, Ebay etc you need nothing.  To set up a website, you need nothing.  I always did the license and insurance and ran it like a business but know many that didn't.

Thank you for the information!  I guess I need to go out and look for place where I can put my tiny candle factory.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 12:33 AM, BusyBee said:

I have question for chandlers in California.  Has anyone doing this candle making business out of a house?  I went to the City to register my business out of a house, and I got denied.  As you know we have all kinds of regulations in CA.  I live in Los Angeles County and I even had gone to next Riverside County also.  They said "NO" also.  I have LLC set up and I should be able to get seller's permit without a problem, but I cannot get city business license to operate out of a house.  Does anyone know how to get business license operating out of a house for candle making business?

The first mistake you made was to ask for permission from a nit wit government official. It's much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Why not just practice your "hobby" in your home and sell candles on the side? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quentin said:

The first mistake you made was to ask for permission from a nit wit government official. It's much easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Why not just practice your "hobby" in your home and sell candles on the side? 

No, it was not a mistake.  I was ready to come out from the shade, and I am trying to move on to next stage.  But, I am so use to work out of my house for my all other businesses, which I still do, that I was just hoping to do this at my house too.

• 3 years later...