Jump to content
Roblop239

wick for 8 oz tins parasoy

Recommended Posts

Hello, I recently got 8 oz deep tin cans with a 3 inch diameter and I use 6006 with 9 percent FO I was doing wick test with CD wicks and the CD 12 left a tunnel and i think it's not the size should I use two CD 8's or 10's or just one CD 14 or 16 for the tin? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems strange that 6006 would leave a tunnel with cd12. What do you mean by tunnel? A little hang up or a tiny melt pool diameter? 

 

It could be your fragrance throwing off sizing .

 

Or it could have hit a cavity causing a temporary flare and tgrowing it all off. 

 

I use cd12 for most tins in much harder to burn soy blends. I would definitely not double wick a tin. Diameter is relatively small and gets too hot at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I have figured out that a recent batch of 6006 sucks, I'm looking at posts like this totally differently.  It could be that it isn't really tunneling, but just a bit of hangup (since we know the issue with defining "tunneling").  OR he/she could have a batch of the 6006 that I've been fighting with lately.  You can't even get a FMP in a 3" container with a CD 18 on the 4th burn. 

For reals.
I have no idea where to go with this now.  

 

@Roblop239  Have you burned the candle to the end?  Can you post a pic?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, Roblop239 said:

Hello, I recently got 8 oz deep tin cans with a 3 inch diameter and I use 6006 with 9 percent FO I was doing wick test with CD wicks and the CD 12 left a tunnel and i think it's not the size should I use two CD 8's or 10's or just one CD 14 or 16 for the tin? 

I've actually seen the same thing.  A CD 12 in my 8 oz tin just burrows a hole down through the middle leaving a good 3/8" + wax ring around the sides.  A CD 8 however, while not necessarily making a nice melt all the way across, leaves much less wax on the sides and cleans that up pretty well as it burns lower.  I just decided to stick with the CD 8s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is definitely wax/wax+ fo specific. The cd12 in your wax must perform more efficiently drawing up molten wax as it burns. In my non paraffin soy blends cd12 cleans up perfectly with most scents. 

 

Candles are weird. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Candles are weird. 

 

LOL that should be on the banner image of this board 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That they are.  I have a set I started testing this morning.

 

8 oz tin

6006 wax

185/170

7% Candle Science Day at the Spa

CS Blue liquid dye

Cured 1 week

76F room temp

 

It's early but after first burn out of the CD's the CD 8 and CD 10 have equal melt pools, larger than CD12.  CD8 and CD10 are mushrooming pretty badly and the CD12 has none.  Be interesting to see how these do as they burn lower.  I'm taking pics of these as I go.  If they're interesting at all I'll put them together and post them so you can give me some of your expert advice on what I'm seeing. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

I've actually seen the same thing.  A CD 12 in my 8 oz tin just burrows a hole down through the middle leaving a good 3/8" + wax ring around the sides.  A CD 8 however, while not necessarily making a nice melt all the way across, leaves much less wax on the sides and cleans that up pretty well as it burns lower.  I just decided to stick with the CD 8s.

I'm 100% with you on this.  I've seen the same phenom a lot lately using Eco wicks, which burn hotter than the wicks I've used previously.  Too big and it tunnels, which can be maddening and induce a lot of head-scratching when you are testing a new wick series that you don't know very well.  But it's a beautiful thing when you finally get it right.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 10:33 AM, bfroberts said:

I'm 100% with you on this.  I've seen the same phenom a lot lately using Eco wicks, which burn hotter than the wicks I've used previously.  Too big and it tunnels, which can be maddening and induce a lot of head-scratching when you are testing a new wick series that you don't know very well.  But it's a beautiful thing when you finally get it right.  

 

I'm not even really sure what I should be looking for at this point.  Using any wick I try I *never* achieve a full melt pool.  However, CD8, CD10, and CD12 will all clean up the sides by the time they are finished.  Should I be content with that or should I be looking for that elusive pool of melted wax that runs from one side of the tin to the other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Left to right CD 8, 10, and 12.  The CD 8 cleaned up very well.  The CD 10 and 12 left quite a bit of wax in the corners.  Should I be happy with what I'm seeing on the CD8 even if it never achieved a "full melt pool"?

MVIMG_20190909_145233.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Test without color and those sides will be clean. Add color and you need to wick up. Or test with one up wick if you want to do color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to choose btw the 3 pictured, I'd go with the CD8.  What I'd really do is test a different wick series.  I used to wick the 8oz tin with 51z.  Haven't poured any in a long time, so not sure that would even work any more, but you should be able to get it cleaner than that....if you are so inclined.  The new 6006 is not the same as it used to be. Subtle change, but still frustrating.  Long cure helps.

FWIW, I don't have to wick up if I use dye.  Maybe that depends on the type of dye?  IDK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just made a set that's going into my storage closet.

 

With dye:

 

CD8,

LX18

Zinc 51

WI 755

HTP 104

ECO 8

 

Did another CD8 without dye.

 

See you in a couple of weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...