Martha makes a terracotta candle. This is a very bad thing

https://www.marthastewart.com/996426/terracotta-candle-pot

1. a small porous clay pot as a container

2. a wick (any wick will do apparently) secured with the same wax she's making the candle with

3. and way off center too

4. tape ? to keep hot wax from pouring out the bottom hole. OMG Who wrote this segment??
5. And worst of all, sharing this "tutorial"  with her enormous viewing audience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Martha makes candle making look so easy.
Will wax leach through terra cotta?  There are a lot of terra cotta citronella candles on store shelves, and I've wondered.  Does anyone know if they use a sealant on those, and what kind of sealant would be appropriate?  I know they make a sealant especially for terra cotta, but I'm not sure if that would be right for candles.

12 hours ago, pughaus said:

https://www.marthastewart.com/996426/terracotta-candle-pot

1. a small porous clay pot as a container

2. a wick (any wick will do apparently) secured with the same wax she's making the candle with

3. and way off center too

4. tape ? to keep hot wax from pouring out the bottom hole. OMG Who wrote this segment??
5. And worst of all, sharing this "tutorial"  with her enormous viewing audience.

OMG! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Slightly off topic. Just saw video by Brambleberry, which is a respectable supply house. However her candle tin tutorial had unsecured floating wicks. Just pour the wax and plop your wicks in. This is a candlemaking kit. 

Add to that that she ignores wick recommendations and always goes bigger because she likes to smell them right away. Yikes