Buying wax on Ebay...a no-no?

I’ve been buying my 4630 wax on Ebay because it’s the cheapest retailer I’ve found. Here is the link if you’re interested: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.X46.TRS0&_nkw=4630+wax

I’m a little concerned because I’m in the middle of testing wicks with this wax (I’m a chandler newbie, this is the first ever wax I’ve played with) and I haven’t found anything that wicks well with it yet. I heard this was a good newbie wax (easy to work with, great throw), but I’m not getting that. Is it possible my wax may not be true 4630 after all? Or am I just so new that I’m overestimating my ability to wick it quickly? 

Hi @angelcandles. I don't know for sure and I can't speak from experience but you would think that buying wax or any other candle making supplies on eBay would be fine as long as you buy from a reputable seller, particularly a candle supply company and not Sally's Bait & Tackle, LOL. For instance I saw this on eBay from vacandlesupplies which appears to be a solid business and has their own website too.

https://vacandlesupply.com/ 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IGI-4630-CONTAINER-WAX-SINGLE-POUR-CANDLE-WAX-CANDLE-MAKING-SUPPLIES/230848951027?hash=item35bfab72f3:m:mOg9zbCZHjNx3mCTUa1i_Bw

I consider eBay as another source for artisans and businesses to open shop and display their goods just like on Etsy and Amazon.

• Like 1

I consider 4630 an easy to use wax in comparison to some of the others, but candle making isn't easy no matter what wax you choose.  What wicks are you using?  What fragrance oils?  What is your process?  One or more of those things is probably where your problems lie, not the wax.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I consider 4630 an easy to use wax in comparison to some of the others, but candle making isn't easy no matter what wax you choose.  What wicks are you using?  What fragrance oils?  What is your process?  One or more of those things is probably where your problems lie, not the wax.

I heat my wax until 82 celsius and pour at 72 celsius. I’m confident in those temperatures because my finished candles have no physical flaws. I think I’m needing to find the right wick. I’m not testing with FO at this time, just trying to get a good “starting” wick and plan on testing with FO’s later. So far have not gotten a good burn, have tried an HTP 62 and an HTP 41 in my 3 inch tumbler jar. 62 was a sooting torch and 41 did not give me an FMP after two hours. 

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

Those wicks are going to be too small for a 3" tumbler.  I think you need to go up a couple sizes and start testing from there.

Wow really? Even with the sooting and the large flame with the 62, that’s an indication that I should up my wick? 

HTP wicks can work just fine in 4630.  LX and zinc also work well.  Personally, I prefer zinc, and I'd start testing with a 51z and adjust from there.  It has been a long long time since I've burned any 4630 with no FO, and I can't remember how it behaves, but I think it's harder to burn without FO than with.  With HTP's, I'd start testing with 83.  IIRC that's what worked in tins which also have a 3" diameter.  Be sure to trim the wick to 1/4" before lighting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NightLight said:

Use candle Science recommendations. They recommend LX wicks for this paraffin. HTP wicks are good for super hard soy. You are getting a large flame in small size because htp is meant for different wax. Any wick will burn but not all wicks burn nice in different waxes.

https://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide

Ok. I’ll give my LX sample pack a try. 

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

HTP wicks can work just fine in 4630.  LX and zinc also work well.  Personally, I prefer zinc, and I'd start testing with a 51z and adjust from there.  It has been a long long time since I've burned any 4630 with no FO, and I can't remember how it behaves, but I think it's harder to burn without FO than with.  With HTP's, I'd start testing with 83.  IIRC that's what worked in tins which also have a 3" diameter.  Be sure to trim the wick to 1/4" before lighting. 

Looks like I should test with an 83 and also my zincs and LX’s. Guess it’s just testing til I get a winner! 

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Don’t worry about full melt pools on first burns. That will set you up for failure through the life of the candle. 

Wow I’ve never heard that before. Why is that? Can you share any more guidance for test burns? I thought an FMP was the ideal effect from any burn over an hour. I plan on testing my first burn (once I find the right wick) for 4 hours (a power burn) as I believe this is how most people burn candles (it’s how I burn mine) 

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Don’t worry about full melt pools on first burns. That will set you up for failure through the life of the candle. 

Geez, I sure second that and wish I had only know this when I was first starting out, sure would have saved me lots of time and money. LOL.

4 hours ago, angelcandles said:

Wow I’ve never heard that before. Why is that? Can you share any more guidance for test burns? I thought an FMP was the ideal effect from any burn over an hour. I plan on testing my first burn (once I find the right wick) for 4 hours (a power burn) as I believe this is how most people burn candles (it’s how I burn mine) 

@angelcandles you should check out this post and watch this guy's wick testing video. And be sure to look at the links he has posted on the YouTube page. Overall he makes a lot of sense and makes some good points. I'm just not sure why he isn't concerned with all the build up of thick, black soot on the jars. He doesn't address that and it drives me nuts, for me that's a fail. I technically understand why he says his Winning Test candle passes but it sure looks bad and had tunneled, I didn't like the aesthetics of it at all. It certainly is a juggling act. I should ask him some questions, maybe he would respond. Search on here for other wick testing posts, you should find some more good ones.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Are you trimming to 1/4" prior to lighting?     

Better yet, can you post pics of your wax and/or candle?

Yes, I am trimming to that length. I am retesting with an HTP 41 because I was told that an FMP on a first burn is not important. I have been burning this 41 for two and a half hours now. No FMP, the flame looks great (no sooting, about an inch tall). Not sure if it will tunnel. I thought an FMP was standard on any burn so I’m a little confused on what to look for now. Some photos: 

29AAFF64-2DA3-4C16-84DE-737A4817DFB5.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laura C said:

No drafts, right?

No drafts but I had done a goofy thing which I think may have messed with my test results. I tested many wicks at once, but since I don’t have much wax at this time, I poured each jar only about 1/4 of the way full. I think that the sooting may have happened because of the flame struggling for oxygen deeper in the jar. Still, I feel like even when a candle gets down to the last inch or so, there should still be no sooting, right? I can’t decide if I should trust these results or not. 

If you are testing jars that were only 1/4 full,  that will produce a totally different result than a full jar.  A lot changes throughout the life of the candle as it burns down into the jar.  Generally, in a full jar, a FMP on the first burn is not ideal.  Speaking from experience with that wax and that jar, if you wick it to get a FMP on the first burn in a full jar, it will be a scorching, sooty torch once it burns further down.  At only 1/4 full, I would expect a FMP by the end of the initial burn.   HTP 41 is going to be too small.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, angelcandles said:

Yes, I am trimming to that length. I am retesting with an HTP 41 because I was told that an FMP on a first burn is not important. I have been burning this 41 for two and a half hours now. No FMP, the flame looks great (no sooting, about an inch tall). Not sure if it will tunnel. I thought an FMP was standard on any burn so I’m a little confused on what to look for now. Some photos: 

29AAFF64-2DA3-4C16-84DE-737A4817DFB5.jpeg

image.jpg

In my opinion this candle looks great at this point and sounds like it's doing good from what you said. See how it looks after 4 hrs. And I like to do at least 6 burn cycles with a wick before I give up on it unless it's just blatantly a loser. How did it turn out?

• Like 3