Jump to content

Need some expert opinions


Recommended Posts

I made an 8oz tins @ 7% with 4630. It is a bit lite on the HT, but it burns perfectly. What are the chances that making the same candle with 8% FO would give me better HT and not completely ruin my perfect burn? I’m leaning towards making twice as many candles and burning two at a time, but I thought I should ask.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not an expert but I do have a lot of experience with that wax. I was disappointed with the HT being a paraffin wax and all, it threw more along the lines of a parasoy like Joy wax for me, but I had some decent burns with HTP's. The zincs acted a bit weird for me, the melt pool was smaller than what I'm used to.

 

I don't think the extra 1% load is going to help that much with the HT in that wax, but you just never know with candles, you might get a good surprise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Only one way to find out. 

 

Though HT is so subjective. We are. Kind of numb to scent, so it may be a super thrower already.

I would never rely solely on my own nose, my wife said she couldn't smell it and she was about 6 feet away. Maybe I'll make several at 7% and one at 8% just to see. I thought about getting some 25oz three wick containers, but why go through the testing when I can just burn 3 8oz tins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can’t really trust the nose of people in your house either I’m afraid to say. My family can’t smell ours because they’re just over exposed to everything. Candle and soap making has destroyed my family’s sense of smell.

 

The only other suggestion I always have is to try another week. Some fragrances just need more or less temperature to perform.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I sit here making soap and candles today surrounded by all of these fragrance bottles I also have to remember the air is saturated with scent already. Anybody making candles in their living space or storing bottles in their living space has a baseline of scent already that they’re numb to.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

As I sit here making soap and candles today surrounded by all of these fragrance bottles I also have to remember the air is saturated with scent already. Anybody making candles in their living space or storing bottles in their living space has a baseline of scent already that they’re numb to.

So I should move my candle making to the garage? My wife would love that idea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Forrest said:

And they are easy to wick...compared to tureens 

To be fair, a rock is easier to wick than a tureen. 

 

Side note, my candles smell soooooo much stronger here than at home. Even with the AC running nearly non stop the whole place is filled with fragrance. Wooooohooooo

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2019 at 12:10 PM, Forrest said:

I would never rely solely on my own nose, my wife said she couldn't smell it and she was about 6 feet away. Maybe I'll make several at 7% and one at 8% just to see. 

That’s exactly what I would do — then burn 1 of each yourself and give others to close friends who aren’t surrounded by FO all the time to test. Just handed off a candle to friend yesterday to test for me...I can test burn and flame but HT is difficult. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, The Candle Nook said:

That’s exactly what I would do — then burn 1 of each yourself and give others to close friends who aren’t surrounded by FO all the time to test. Just handed off a candle to friend yesterday to test for me...I can test burn and flame but HT is difficult. 

The thing is, as a hobbyist it doesn't matter to me if the candle works for someone else, but I suppose that would tell me if it if the problem was me or the candle.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...