Fuel smell with citrus

Adding at a lower temp helps as does using a lower percentage but some citrus there just is no helping 

I have found a touch of vanilla also helps to a certain degree 

another thing I have found in soy is cure - fragrance I thought was a total bomb because of the fuel notes after curing several more weeks it disappeared 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

I have not used that fo yet, have a Sample and good to know it’s got a fuel potential but for my problem citrus ones I add fragrance more like 150 to 160 but that doesn’t mean your range won’t work

what wax are you using?  I only have experience with soy, coconut, palm and Clarus parasoy and I will say that the parasoy is less prone to getting a fuel smell than soy is - I don’t think I’ve used a citrus in palm yet 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blood Orange from CS smells amazing!  I used it in my orange cold process soap and it was super strong then faded to almost nothing.   I realize CP soap and candle making are completely different, but will admit that I am interested in hearing if you have any fading issues.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, Sebleo said:

I forget how to combat this. Do I need to lower fo %, bigger/smaller wick, add fo at lower temp? 

@Sebleo Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the worst time trying to wick Fruity Rings (Fruit Loops) by Natures garden. it is a heavier FO and mostly citrus notes with a base of sugared vanilla.  I have gone through at least 13 oz of FO trying to get this right. The CT is 5/5 on every single candle I have poured no matter the wax type. I have used it in Joywax, IGI 6006, and Coconut Apricot. I also bought some from Aztec but had the same wax burning fuel smell. I have decided to stick with Coconut Apricot I have added FO at Higher temps around 200F I have added at 180F I have gone down to 170F I have done 6%, 8%, and 10%. LX, HTP, RRD, ECO, HEMP, CD, WOODWICK crackling boosters, and zinc, The closest I have gotten to an actual smell that was not burning was in Joywax at 6% in a 3.5' diameter jar with a single HEMP 838 wick.  However, I feel like it would still get that fuel smell intermittently. NG base notes for their fruit loops has vanilla. Maybe I can add some silky vanila FO I have. This FO was the one and only FO that  I wanted to work and pretty much the reason I got into candle making so i could make this for myself. I do not sell as I have only been doing this for 8 months so I am nowhere near ready or even know 100% if that is what I want to do. I have poured this into so many candles and I have all my notes. I made some votive candles in 1.5oz jars  with 6% and 8% loads. All same variables except the FO load and I always cure a bare minimum of 2 weeks. These were poured June 28th, 2020 and I started burning July 20th. I still have a bunch left untested because I had tested about 8 at one time 6% & 8% with matching wicks. I had that fuel smell and I had also been testing on my 5oz and 8oz wickless jars with no luck. So I got frustrated and took a break from testing these.  I do not blow out my wicks I always use a wick dipper so I can smell the melt pool afterwards.  I made a total of 22 using 11 different wick types and sizes. 

Coconut Apricot has a MP of 125-129+ not sure why it ranges but I did not make the wax. I have some straight 130MP paraffin and some stearic acid.  Has anyone added either of these to your citrus scents to help raise the melt point so maybe it helped wick it?  Maybe I will do a another batch but just use the 5oz jars filled to 4oz and add FO at the lowest temp possible. Calwax said not to let it get below 160 ill add at 165/170. This FO has a flaspoint of 158 so I want to make sure that it binds completely with the wax. ill do one with just Coco apricot a 2nd with 5% paraffin added 3rd with 5% stearic acid added, and a 4th with paraffin and stearic acid. All with 5% FO load? Someone told me that maybe the FO just wasn't compatible with the wax. But dang it, I am going to make it work. 

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 5:05 PM, Marisa11 said:

@Sebleo Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the worst time trying to wick Fruity Rings (Fruit Loops) by Natures garden. it is a heavier FO and mostly citrus notes with a base of sugared vanilla.  I have gone through at least 13 oz of FO trying to get this right. The CT is 5/5 on every single candle I have poured no matter the wax type. I have used it in Joywax, IGI 6006, and Coconut Apricot. I also bought some from Aztec but had the same wax burning fuel smell. I have decided to stick with Coconut Apricot I have added FO at Higher temps around 200F I have added at 180F I have gone down to 170F I have done 6%, 8%, and 10%. LX, HTP, RRD, ECO, HEMP, CD, WOODWICK crackling boosters, and zinc, The closest I have gotten to an actual smell that was not burning was in Joywax at 6% in a 3.5' diameter jar with a single HEMP 838 wick.  However, I feel like it would still get that fuel smell intermittently. NG base notes for their fruit loops has vanilla. Maybe I can add some silky vanila FO I have. This FO was the one and only FO that  I wanted to work and pretty much the reason I got into candle making so i could make this for myself. I do not sell as I have only been doing this for 8 months so I am nowhere near ready or even know 100% if that is what I want to do. I have poured this into so many candles and I have all my notes. I made some votive candles in 1.5oz jars  with 6% and 8% loads. All same variables except the FO load and I always cure a bare minimum of 2 weeks. These were poured June 28th, 2020 and I started burning July 20th. I still have a bunch left untested because I had tested about 8 at one time 6% & 8% with matching wicks. I had that fuel smell and I had also been testing on my 5oz and 8oz wickless jars with no luck. So I got frustrated and took a break from testing these.  I do not blow out my wicks I always use a wick dipper so I can smell the melt pool afterwards.  I made a total of 22 using 11 different wick types and sizes. 

Coconut Apricot has a MP of 125-129+ not sure why it ranges but I did not make the wax. I have some straight 130MP paraffin and some stearic acid.  Has anyone added either of these to your citrus scents to help raise the melt point so maybe it helped wick it?  Maybe I will do a another batch but just use the 5oz jars filled to 4oz and add FO at the lowest temp possible. Calwax said not to let it get below 160 ill add at 165/170. This FO has a flaspoint of 158 so I want to make sure that it binds completely with the wax. ill do one with just Coco apricot a 2nd with 5% paraffin added 3rd with 5% stearic acid added, and a 4th with paraffin and stearic acid. All with 5% FO load? Someone told me that maybe the FO just wasn't compatible with the wax. But dang it, I am going to make it work. 

Did you ever get this to work yet?

I don't have a good answer to this but I have two scents that smell fantastic in melts (Lemon Verbena and Brandied Pear) but smell like fuel in candles.

My melts are half-palm so I'm going to try to make palm candles with those two scents (when I have time) and see if they smell better.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 5:05 PM, Marisa11 said:

Have you considered trying this scent from another supplier?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have an insane amount of different types of wicks hoarded trying to figure it out. The fo does have a bit of vanilla already but I can add some more. I feel like I wasted so much time focusing on this FO trying to perfect it. I didn’t try other FOs. But once I did I easily found working wicks. I tried Aztec and natures garden in 3 different waxes. I’m not giving up but that texting has significantly slowed down. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, bfroberts said:

Have you considered trying this scent from another supplier?

Yes I tried the FO from Aztec as well and in 3 different waxes. However I do have significantly more types of wicks than I did before when I originally tested Aztec. I needed a break from that FO for a while. I was too focused on it. However, my recent test with 2 different FO's I have been able to find a few great wicks that can now be tested with the wicks set in the containers. So maybe it was a blessing in disguise trying to wick this FO.

So now that I know that I can create some good wick/wax combos. It might be time for me to slowly re-introduce myself to the FO. 

The plan is to make a few different testers in a straight sided jar just under 3" diameter and I am going to use only 3% FO because at this point I just want it to actually smell like its supposed to maybe my issue was 6% and 8% were too much.

1. Coco Apricot wax 100% w/ 3% Fruity rings

2. Coco Apricot wax 100% w/ 2.5% Fruity Rings and .5% Silky Vanilla 

3. Coco Apricot wax 95% + Paraffin 130MP base wax 5% w/ 3% Fruity Rings

4. Coco Apricot wax 95% + Stearic Acid (Vegetable) 5% w/ 3% Fruity Rings

I will see what happens there. I have some additives coming soon hopefully one of them being W-445 Microcrystaline wax maybe when I get that one in I will do a tester with .5%. I ordered this to play with a molded wax formula maybe it can work here as well. 

On 9/8/2020 at 10:22 AM, prs7979 said:

I don't have a good answer to this but I have two scents that smell fantastic in melts (Lemon Verbena and Brandied Pear) but smell like fuel in candles.

My melts are half-palm so I'm going to try to make palm candles with those two scents (when I have time) and see if they smell better.

Were you ever able to make the palm candles to test out? 

1 hour ago, Marisa11 said:

Were you ever able to make the palm candles to test out? 

I never got around to Lemon Verbena but I was able to make Brandied Pear (this is the Candle Cocoon version in case you're curious) work in half-palm/half-464 candles with a CD-6.   Never got around to trying full palm.

Oh and related I did try to make Pumpkin Souffle (CS) more pleasant by cutting in some Very Vanilla (CS) but to my nose I still detect the same burned note but just with extra vanilla on the top.   At some point (maybe next year, I have one pumpkin scent that works) I would like to try something like Candle Cocoon's Vanilla Voodoo to see if it works better.

1 hour ago, prs7979 said:

I never got around to Lemon Verbena but I was able to make Brandied Pear (this is the Candle Cocoon version in case you're curious) work in half-palm/half-464 candles with a CD-6.   Never got around to trying full palm.

What % FO load did you try? Yeah I can't get rid of the fuel smell. However my boyfriend enjoys it since he is a car racing fan. The Formula 1 candle!

I only have the Silky Vanilla from NG. Shipping costs from Ohio are high to Phoenix so I am going to wait until I need to load up on FO's again. Which might be a while.

1 minute ago, Marisa11 said:

What % FO load did you try? Yeah I can't get rid of the fuel smell. However my boyfriend enjoys it since he is a car racing fan. The Formula 1 candle!

I only have the Silky Vanilla from NG. Shipping costs from Ohio are high to Phoenix so I am going to wait until I need to load up on FO's again. Which might be a while.

I don't have my notes on me but I believe I had it at 6% for the Brandied Pear.   I'll update if I find out differently.