Switching from wood wicks to "standard" wicks

After years of using wood wicks, I am seriously thinking of switching my products to regular cotton-type wicks. I will test a ton obviously but would love some input on where to start when researching new wicks to try. I have 3" diameter, straight sides jars and use a blend of mostly 464 plus a small amount of coconut 83. I know I will also need to evaluate FO load with a new week but will start that at 6-8%. I would appreciate any suggestions for potential wicks. Once I get an idea of options I will order several different kinds. Right now, the only wick I have to test is an ECO 12. Pictures below. I started out thinking the ECO 12 might be too big but now it seems that this is possibly under wicked, given the amount of residue on the sides. Pictures are:

1. After lighting

2. 30 minutes

3. 1.5-2 hours

Total burn time on first burn about 5 hours 

4. Second burn after about 2 hours.

Thanks!

IMG_20190711_112845.jpg

IMG_20190711_115943.jpg

IMG_20190711_131053.jpg

IMG_20190712_110446.jpg

For that wax blend, CD, CSN or CDN would be my first picks. FOr that particular jar, depending on your lot of waxes and proportions and fragrance, CD10 or CD12.

ECO12 will become wildly out of control not too much further down. It is a HUGE wick for soy coco unless using FO that is super hard to burn. 

Thanks for the feedback. I will give  all of these a try.

I was reading up on the CD 12 and several reviews mentioned double wicking it for 12 or 14 oz jars. Mine are 11 oz and I'm wondering if that is something I should consider? 

• 4 weeks later...

I tested HTP 104 and 105 as well as CD 12. I had CD 10 but didn't test them because the info I read online made me think they would be too small. I'm not 100% in love with any of the results. 104 was way too small and CD 12 appears to be too big. 105 is the best of the ones I tried but some burned unevenly (they may have been slightly off center but not a lot); they also left more residue on the sides than I want. So....I'm going to keep testing 105 and research other options too.

Two main reasons: cost and performance. The wood wick and clip together cost around $0.35 each which adds a good bit to my retail cost. A cotton wick is a fraction of the cost. While I am able to have good burns pretty consistently, there's no getting around the fact that wood wicks are prone to problematic burns if you don't use them under ideal circumstances. I am in the process of creating a new higher-end candle and I don't feel I can justify a higher price point if the candle isn't going to burn perfectly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Peggy,

Just curious how your testing is going? I'm in a very similar situation as you and I'd love to know what some of your conclusions are. 

I, too, am testing in a 3" diameter Libbey glass jar with Joywax (which is a parasoy blend if you're not familiar with it) and have tested a multitude of different wicks including:

CD8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18 

HTP 105 and 1212

LX 20, 21, and 22

Zinc 51-32-18

Zinc 60-44-18

Large Wood Wicks

After ruling many of them out, I have found that CD12 and HTP 105 have burned the best, by far. The problem I'm encountering is that the glass sometimes get uncomfortably hot. Have you run into this problem? Did you find any better alternatives to the CD12 and HTP 105? 

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Kristin

Edited by TheUnquietKey