Wax vs Scents

Both Flaming Candle and Candle Science have Pumpkin Souffle Scents that seem to be very popular and have rave reviews.

However, I've tried both of them and can't stand them.  My wife, who loves pumpkin, doesn't like them either.

I was just looking on the CS website and saw that the description states it is "our best pumpkin fragrance for soy candles."

Can there be a large scent variance from wax to wax (6006 vs 464 for instance)?

I know varying FO percentage can affect the scent throw.  Can it also affect the scent itself?  I made these candles in 6006 at 6%.  They are just over powering and, to my nose at least, not very pleasant and not very pumpkiny (unless you're talking burnt pumpkin possibly) The same thing is also true for Autumn Flannel, which is another popular scent with great reviews.

I'm going to try lowering the FO% to see if it mellows out. If anyone is using these scents and actually likes them what wax are you using them in and what percentage?  I just have a hard time believing that these two FOs (actually three-Two different pumpkin souffles plus the Autumn Flannel) would be so popular if people are smelling what I smell.   

Not a fan of the pumpkins either and most are obnoxiously strong BUT people love them for fall. You could try blending with cinnamon and doing 50-50 or less ratio and see if gets more tolerable. If you hate go towards the Apple cinnamon route.

4 hours ago, NightLight said:

Not a fan of the pumpkins either and most are obnoxiously strong BUT people love them for fall. You could try blending with cinnamon and doing 50-50 or less ratio and see if gets more tolerable. If you hate go towards the Apple cinnamon route.

Great minds think alike. I just talked to my wife about mixing it with a cinnamon to give it more of a pumpkin pie sort of fragrance.  Going to make one at a lower FO and another with a pumpkin/cinnamon blend and see how they work out 

I don't work with soy wax, but I have tried Pumpkin Soufflé from CS and I really didn't like it. Kind of boring, and a pain to wick too. CS has a Toasted Pumpkin Spice or something (don't have it in front of me) that is so much more interesting that the soufflé. Not as bakery.

Now, if you don't mind branching out with your suppliers, Candlewic has an amazing bakery pumpkin, Pumpkin Pancakes. So delicious, buttery, maple-y, and rich! I love that one! Their pumpkin chai is also TDF!

On 7/11/2019 at 10:50 PM, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

I made these candles in 6006 at 6%.  They are just over powering

This statement made me take notice...and Im sure others noticed too!  Everybody it seems is looking for a way to improve HT...may I ask what wick series you used?

On 7/11/2019 at 9:50 PM, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

Can there be a large scent variance from wax to wax (6006 vs 464 for instance)?

We're dealing with organic chemistry, anything is possible, but I've noticed some variation in both scent and HT

Lol i actually got pumpkin souffle from flaming candle and i thought it was kind of to sweet or fake idk but didn't care for it to much , I use soy wax  464 and used 1oz per lb of wax ....going to try different pumpkin scent