Zinc Wicks

So I've been playing around with Zinc wicks.  Have tried them in multiple sizes, multiple containers, multiple scents.  In all cases, no matter how good the melt pool, no matter how pretty the flame I end up getting major mushrooming 1-2 hours into the burn.  If I extinguish the flame, trim the mushroom off, and relight them they're good for another couple of hours.  If I extinguish them, wait until the next day, trim, and relight same story.

Is this just a peculiarity of zinc wicks or is their some trick?  They seem to be the best throwing wicks I've tried so far but that large mushroom is a huge turnoff.

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I use zinc wicks a lot.  They are prone to mushrooming, but I haven't found a wick yet that doesn't come with some unlovable issue. Curing longer helps, as well as keeping the FO load around 6%.

Thanks BF.  I'm using 6% on everything right now.  I'll throw a couple in storage for 2 or 3 weeks and see how they do 

It looks like a horrible monster from Stranger Things or something, I absolutely hate it, but the zincs don't flop over and they have a nice controlled flame in paraffin so I end up going back to them for that kind of wax now and just deal with it. I was big on using wooden wicks in paraffin recently as there is no mushrooming, the HT was decent and fast FMP, but it's difficult to get a decent controlled flame, it gets really annoying trimming the wick to 'exact' measurements.

Edited by ErronB

2 hours ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

Thanks BF.  I'm using 6% on everything right now.  I'll throw a couple in storage for 2 or 3 weeks and see how they do 

They can mushroom like crazy when they are fresh.  Some scents will mushroom badly no matter what you do (vanillas can be brutal).  I usually try a different wick type in those cases.  There is a certain amount of mushrooming that I'll live with if the scent is nice enough and the candle is otherwise great.