Does a newly manufactured FO need to age some before we use them?

Darbla

If a bottle of FO comes out of a maker's factory today, does it smell differently when brand new like that than after it's been on shelves for a while?  I'm pondering on if that's the problem I'm experiencing that I mentioned in another post.  Maybe I got one that's just too new at the moment and it'll improve if I ignore it for a bit.  

Edited by Darbla

They can, and many do, oxidize over time. Some of it has to do with how it’s stored (glass vs plastic, Amber vs clear, warm vs cool, full vs not full bottles, etc.)

i tap my kegs right away and don’t notice too much difference in the final products. If there is a difference, it’s nothing customers notice or mention. 

It's an interesting question.  I've wondered about that too....if FO's "cure", for lack of a better word.  
We came up with a signature scent a couple of years ago based on some blending I did with samples.  When I ordered the blend's main FO, it seemed weaker than the sample had been and I was really discouraged.  After a while, it no longer seemed weaker, so I wondered if it had gotten stronger in the bottle.  Or, the more logical explanation is that my nose was just off that one day.  Who knows.

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

It would be nice if all fo suppliers dated the bottles they ship in, I'm sure the master batches are dated when they receive them.  More work but could be very helpful for us.

I wish there were lot numbers On retail bottles as well. There are definitely lot numbers upon receipt of the original keg.

• Like 1