some more really bad advice

5 minutes ago, franu61 said:

Sprinkle your favorite Fragrance Oil into the wax near the wick of a candle before it is lit

UGGH ! Why ???
I swear the internet makes our job harder than it should be.
I feel like I'm doing a seminar at my shows when I have to go over every single safety issue with my products. People ask if they can sprinkle potpourri in their candles to increase the scent, or pour room sprays in the wax warmers to refresh them 😲
 The worst and most popular- crayons for home made candles 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Watching YouTube, I often find myself shaking my head at all the poor, bad advice dished out.  I consider myself a modest person, do not like to blow my horn, and yet I see and hear (on YouTube) people who haven't got the experience, no freaking clue as to what they're doing, uploading instructional videos with such ease and "authority"! 

However, what is even more distressing to read? All the followers they gain, the thanks, and the positive comments that, inho, come from the newbies led astray  😞   I want to say (and sometimes I do, lol): No, no, no!  That's bull---t, don't listen to that.... Omg, I can't believe the crap she's spewing!, etc. etc.

Yeah, I can really get going with my commentaries 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Ravens said:

Watching YouTube, I often find myself shaking my head at all the poor, bad advice dished out.  I consider myself a modest person, do not like to blow my horn, and yet I see and hear (on YouTube) people who haven't got the experience, no freaking clue as to what they're doing, uploading instructional videos with such ease and "authority"! 

However, what is even more distressing to read? All the followers they gain, the thanks, and the positive comments that, inho, come from the newbies led astray  😞   I want to say (and sometimes I do, lol): No, no, no!  That's bull---t, don't listen to that.... Omg, I can't believe the crap she's spewing!, etc. etc.

Yeah, I can really get going with my commentaries 😂

Same !!
That's why I left a few FB candle making groups, it was like a pack of wolves leading the sheep astray with all of that nonsense.
Anytime I would chime in to help someone, I could always count on an argument from the Peanut Gallery.
 I got tired of fighting a battle of wits with unarmed opponents 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Pam W said:

To this very day, I have yet to look at any FB posting on candle making.  If I want some legit advise, I come here...period

Same here!  Don't know what i would have done without all the GOOD advice on this site.

• Like 2

I had to leave the FB groups and stop watching certain people on YT, it really got me going for a bit with a certain wax thinking I was missing something, but after reading some pro's wisdom on here I realized I was on the right path all along.

Best one I saw lately was 'put extra fragrance oil on the top of your candles so that people can smell them better before buying'. Sounds like a fire to me lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ErronB said:

Best one I saw lately was 'put extra fragrance oil on the top of your candles so that people can smell them better before buying'. Sounds like a fire to me lol

Years ago , I bought out a local candle maker's supplies (she was quitting). That's what she did with all of her candles & soaps  😲
She tried to tell me that it increased her sales and boosted her fragrances. I thought it was a bit  sketchy, not to mention a waste of FO's

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

The "good" thing about CP soap is everyone is terrified of lye. I guess that's good, right? 

Except those that aren't, should be. 

Not terrified, but respectful here. Treat it like smoking hot deep fryer grease and all’s good in the hood. The bad advice about hauling lye outside to mix, the. Back inside after is really horrifying.  Wind carries the little pellets, and imagine tripping with a container of steaming hot lye. Yikes.

• Like 3

Guess over all the years, the bad advice never stops.  The lady who tried to teach me to make candles told me to take straight fo on a cotton ball and wipe it on top of every candle that way the candles smelled strong when people smelled them.  That was the last time I ever asked her anything, lol.  Even as a beginner I knew that was bad advice.  Over time it would disappear but even so I'd never try to intentionally deceive someone.

• Like 4