Question about power burning

I am using 3 HTP 41 wicks in a 4 inch tumbler with 4630 wax and the vanilla bomb FO from JustScent. I have success with the burning (full melt pool in about 2 hours) and the flames look good.😍 BUT, when I test a power burn (4 hours+), I get sooting and flickering.😪 Last night I trimmed my wicks to 1/4 inch before burning them for the first time, and I had the candle going for 2 hours. Today I thought I'd test a power burn, but after 4 hours I have the sooting/flickering issue. Is it because I didn't trim the wick between burns? I am conflicted about wick trimming between burns because I know many customers won't do that, and I have never had to trim a Bath and Body works candle (or other big name brand) in my life.

What should I do?😩

Sounds like it may be a combo of being overwicked, too much fo, a draft, needing a longer cure, ambient room temp too high, or something else altogether. 

Vanillas and other heavy scents can be kinda dirty burners all by themselves.

not everyone trims, that’s for sure. Your instincts are right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Sounds like it may be a combo of being overwicked, too much fo, a draft, needing a longer cure, ambient room temp too high, or something else altogether. 

Vanillas and other heavy scents can be kinda dirty burners all by themselves.

not everyone trims, that’s for sure. Your instincts are right. 

I am thinking it's the wick. I will try the HTP 31s, one size smaller. LX and zinc wicks are a no-go for me, the smallest size of both is too big for my candle. Do you have any experience with RRD wicks? Is there any brand in particular you think I should try?