Fragrance testing

ruralers

I am attempting to try out some fragrance oil blending.  Do you have any suggestions on how to start?  Should I try small melts or just jump right in with a candle?  Step one is just figuring out if I like the scent, then I will master the wicking process.  Many thanks!

Hi there!  First, I would start with printing off a fragrance wheel which will help you identify scents that compliment each other.  Once you find the scents you want to combine, give the Qtip test a go.  Use one Qtip for each fragrance you want to blend and place it into a zip lock bag, bottle (if you use the bottle, make sure to seal the lid) or aluminum foil.  Give it about 30 minutes and give it the sniff test.  You'll get an idea if it works or which oil you may need more of.  Just make sure you keep notes of the ratios you are using so when you find something you really like, you'll have an idea of how much of each oil you used.  Good luck and have fun!

There is a sticky in this section on blending fragrances by JCandleattic. You might want to check it out. She also includes a fragrance wheel in it that helps you put together scents that work well together.

When I try a new fragrance I use a small dropper and put my fragrance droplets into a small container. Be sure to write down the recipe of how many drops of each scent you use so you won't forget the formula. Then I swirl around the fragrance in the small container and take a preliminary whiff. If I like it then I try it in a small test candle or tart. Well, a candle if I am pretty sure I like and a tart if I am still not sure. The tart wastes less wax than the candle so it works out for me. Another method is to dip your finger in the fragrance and rub a small amount on your wrists and sniff. Just be sure to wash it off immediately as some FOs are not skin safe and even if they are they should not go directly on the skin without first being deluded with a carrier oil. Anyway, its not exactly a method I recommend but I do it quite often. But I always wash it off immediately. I guess my wrists aren't as sensitive as other skin parts on my body.

Edited by Candybee