Cement Candle Wax falling out

Hello, 

I am trying to make some candles however I'm facing some issues which someone here might know how to fix. 

I bought the mold from here which is a cylinder shape https://boldmakerstudio.com/collections/candle-molds/products/3-straight-cylinder-silicone-mold

I also got coconut wax from here: https://woodenwick.com/product/virgin-coconut-creme/

The issue I'm having is that the wax is falling out of the container once it's dried if the container is turned upside down. I tried with Soy wax which stuck to the container, but the coconut isn't for some reason. I also tried to heat up the container and the wax to the same temperature and then let them cool down together over a long period of time, which helped a tiny bit but didn't fix the issue. Does anyone have any idea's as to what i can do to fix this?

Thanks!

That's interesting to hear since the VCC wax is so soft, it's the last wax I'd expect would pop out like that.  At what temp. are you pouring your candles?

What concrete are you using?

I've made quite a few candles in my own concrete containers and never had any of my coco/soy blends not adhere to the container.   I even seal the interior of my concrete- either with modpodge or by soaking them in mineral oil.  (ps: i find both methods help to decrease any oil seepage that can cause unsightly spots on the outside of the vessel)  But even before I sealed, my wax adhered to the inside. 

Edited by pughaus

I hope you figure this one out because I have been wanting to get that mold for cement jars and I am using 6046 and coco83. You can try to hot glue the wick down and the wick will keep it from coming out, or just don't turn your candles over :P Did you put a concrete sealer on your jar? If not that might be the problem, or if you did that might be the problem lol you are gonna have to try different ways. Please post a follow up on this one and good luck.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:40 PM, NightLight said:

Are you pouring at same temperature? Try one hot, and one cool. See if that does the trick

I pour the wax at around 120f. When the concrete was cold the wax had quite a large gap between itself and the container. I did try to put the concrete in the oven and then pour the wax into that and let them both cool down together inside the oven. Doing this helped but didn't fix the issue. 

On 7/2/2019 at 7:52 AM, TallTayl said:

Is your wick tab secured well to the container? That helps a lot.

No, right now we haven't done this. Though i think it might help i don't know if it fixes the issue per se, be even now there is a gap between the wax and the cement which is a bit unsightly. The best solution would be a nice clean seal between the cement and the wax. 

On 7/1/2019 at 7:13 PM, pughaus said:

hat's interesting to hear since the VCC wax is so soft, it's the last wax I'd expect would pop out like that.  At what temp. are you pouring your candles?

I tried to pour around 120 and even poured in a warm container and let it cool down at the same time as the container inside the oven. 

We are using the QUIKRETE High Strength Concrete Mix. The sealant we are using is the one from here: https://boldmakerstudio.com/collections/tools-for-concrete/products/medium-gloss-concrete-sealer-concentrated-1-pint

Could the sealant be the issue?

On 7/1/2019 at 8:34 PM, CaptnKush said:

I hope you figure this one out because I have been wanting to get that mold for cement jars and I am using 6046 and coco83. You can try to hot glue the wick down and the wick will keep it from coming out, or just don't turn your candles over :P Did you put a concrete sealer on your jar? If not that might be the problem, or if you did that might be the problem lol you are gonna have to try different ways. Please post a follow up on this one and good luck.

I think i answered the same questions you provided in the previous answer :)

9 minutes ago, ChadTaljaardt said:

I pour the wax at around 120f. When the concrete was cold the wax had quite a large gap between itself and the container. I did try to put the concrete in the oven and then pour the wax into that and let them both cool down together inside the oven. Doing this helped but didn't fix the issue. 

No, right now we haven't done this. Though i think it might help i don't know if it fixes the issue per se, be even now there is a gap between the wax and the cement which is a bit unsightly. The best solution would be a nice clean seal between the cement and the wax. 

I tried to pour around 120 and even poured in a warm container and let it cool down at the same time as the container inside the oven. 

We are using the QUIKRETE High Strength Concrete Mix. The sealant we are using is the one from here: https://boldmakerstudio.com/collections/tools-for-concrete/products/medium-gloss-concrete-sealer-concentrated-1-pint

Could the sealant be the issue?

It could definitely be the sealant you are using.  (Is that stuff safe to heat, burn and inhale?)
I pour that wax at 160-165+ into a cool/ room temp. container. I have no gaps between the wax and the container.
I use the Quikrete mortar cement but that shouldn't really make a difference.

Maybe try one that's poured at about 165 into a room temp vessel and another into an unsealed vessel and see which one solves the problem.  I'm curious to know myself.
And definitely glue your wicks down as others have mentioned, although that shouldn't be all that's holding your candle into a container, it's the right thing to do in any case.

Sealant for sure could be an issue. Also sealant could be issue with fragrance oils that can dissolve lots of things well like sealant and you may not want sealant burning off in candle fumes! This could be a toxic issue. Yes for sure glue wicks down. You never want a floating wick in wax. Test okay but NOT final product. You could try and soften the wax up with coconut oil and see if a softer wax helps adhesion.

if you do you have to retest wicks.

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2019 at 12:13 AM, pughaus said:

That's interesting to hear since the VCC wax is so soft, it's the last wax I'd expect would pop out like that.  At what temp. are you pouring your candles?

I've made quite a few candles in my own concrete containers and never had any of my coco/soy blends not adhere to the container.   I even seal the interior of my concrete- either with modpodge or by soaking them in mineral oil.  (ps: i find both methods help to decrease any oil seepage that can cause unsightly spots on the outside of the vessel)  But even before I sealed, my wax adhered to the inside. 

Hey, is it worth me using mineral oil on my concrete vessels? I'm really struggling to find a safe way to seal them 😅. If so how do you go about doing it? Sorry for the questions. Any tips would be fantastic! 😊