Mushrooming

I've read that mushrooming can be caused by overwicking.  I've also read that it can be caused in some instances by underwicking.

Is there anything you can look for, any signs or indications, that would give an idea as to whether it is being caused by over or under wicking?

Pic is of an LX20 in a pint jar, 6006 wax, no dye, 6%FO, 20 minutes into burn 

IMG_20190626_095754494.jpg

Edited by xxxAlpha71xxx

Mushrooming, or carbon heading, is caused by incomplete combustion. It may be the totally wrong wick type for the wax, fragrance, fragrance load, color, etc. or combo.

Sometimes the carbon begins on the frayed ends of a roughly trimmed wick. Keep going on that. If it grows, try a clean cut with super sharp scissors.

If it grows again try one size up and one down in the same set up.  

If you get carbon again, you may want to consider another wick series altogether. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Sometimes the carbon begins on the frayed ends of a roughly trimmed wick. Keep going on that. If it grows, try a clean cut with super sharp scissors.

That completely hit home right there.  I bought a wick trimmer off of Amazon and I noticed that it leaves some frayed material at the end of the wick.  Didn't realize that could cause an issue but makes sense.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Instead of making a new thread I'll go ahead and ask this here.  @TallTayl What should I be looking for in a melt pool?   Full pool with around 1/4" depth seems to be the common answer but should I always expect an eventual full pool?  If I'm not getting that should I consider another wick if all other burn characteristics are good? Or should I let it ride even without a full pool as long as the wax eventually melts?  I know it should theoretically be ok as long as there is eventual wax melt but I also expect that not having a full pool is detrimental to hot throw?  Do you always look for a full melt before you are satisfied with a wick/container/scent combination?

Edited by xxxAlpha71xxx
Fat fingers