Hello Craft Server community.

I have been searching on here to see if anyone has experience with using eco-friendly, plant based PLA, clear plastic containers. Geez, that's a mouth full. I can't find any posts on here related to this subject. Has anyone used any? Any thoughts or opinions on the subject? They seem like a great idea but I just wonder if there are any long-term downsides to using them to store scented wax products such as wax melts.

My concern is, I don't know how the chemicals in the FOs, dyes, waxes, etc. would do over a long period of time in plant based plastic. Wonder if that plastic could erode or take on a strange odor? Would love to hear if anyone has used them or knows anything about them.  https://www.ecoproductsstore.com/round_deli_and_portion_cups.html

Edited by Laura C

Hi @CandleRush. I've been storing my test melts in different types of containers but I'm referring to retail packaging for loose wax melts, sorry, I didn't state that previously, I want to start selling products. Like a lot of people, I like the cello bags, bakery bags and boxes, organza bags, etc. but I think I want a a sturdy, air tight container of some sort. Starting out I will be doing online sells only so everything will be shipped. I want to use as little packaging as possible.

I was hoping someone may have recommendations on this type of plastic before I make a purchase. I may order some small quantities today from them or someplace else so I can test them out. Since I really like clear plastic, a more eco-friendly version certainly peaks my interest.

Edited by Laura C

6 hours ago, NightLight said:

Think you have to test these containers over time. Many of and essential oils eat plastics, morph. Long term storage can be an issue.

Yes, exactly, that's my concern and what I'm wondering about. I'm afraid the chemicals would end up eating the plant based plastic. And, I'd probably have to store some wax melts in them for at least a year or so in order to get solid results. 😏  I sent an email to the company asking about these concerns and if they have any information about it or anything they can tell me. I'll see what they say.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

I would say that material is probs not good for melts. Made for food, not things like fragrance oils. You could try some, and sit with a couple containers for months and see what happens. You should try citrus oils, and then others. Citrus oils synthetic and natural love to eat plastics.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2019 at 8:30 PM, Laura C said:

Yes, exactly, that's my concern and what I'm wondering about. I'm afraid the chemicals would end up eating the plant based plastic. And, I'd probably have to store some wax melts in them for at least a year or so in order to get solid results. 😏  I sent an email to the company asking about these concerns and if they have any information about it or anything they can tell me. I'll see what they say.

I heard back from the guy at ECO Products and he does not have any solid data on how that type of plastic would hold up to chemicals on a long term basis. He basically said it may not be a good idea but he would be curious to hear about results if I do some tests, LOL. Of course I understand their products are made for food but it's a shame that they probably won't work for wax melts. Bummed. 😞

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine you could get faster results by testing how the actual liquid fragrance does in the PLA containers.  If the liquid eats them up right away, then you can know that it proably isn't wise to store your melts in there.  However, since the FO is so diluted by the wax in the melts, it may not actually have the same effect on the plastic as the pure liquid.  I would give them a try!  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 6:33 PM, GarthAlgar said:

I imagine you could get faster results by testing how the actual liquid fragrance does in the PLA containers.  If the liquid eats them up right away, then you can know that it proably isn't wise to store your melts in there.  However, since the FO is so diluted by the wax in the melts, it may not actually have the same effect on the plastic as the pure liquid.  I would give them a try!  

That's a good idea.