Wicking Apothecary Jars

I bought a bunch of these jars from Candlescience.

And I cannot for the life of me get them to wick. I'm using a 4630 wax and have tried both HTP and Zinc wicks. I got the sample packs from CS also, so I've tried every size of each. I would try a new wick but I wanted to check in and see if anyone has had luck wicking jars like these with 4630, or any other paraffin wax.

My flames have been either too small (tunneling), or too large (flickering, sooting).  I heat til 180, pour at 160, and the candles set perfectly, but they burn horribly. Any insight?

Edited by angelcandles

I am using 1 wick. I forgot to mention that I am using a FO from JustScent and I'm pouring an 8% fragrance load since I read on Flaming Candle that the 4630 can take between 8-10% FO. I read FO info was important for newbies to include in their posts. 

I would ideally not like to double wick because I prefer the single wick look, but if it's what I need to do, I'll do it. You don't think 1 wick is practical? Yankee's candles are 4 inches wide and they just have 1 wick. But of course I have no idea what wax they're using, etc.

Edited by angelcandles
double post

12 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

Are you using one wick or two?  Usually need to double wick a 4 inch container. 

I am using 1 wick. I forgot to mention that I am using a FO from JustScent and I'm pouring an 8% fragrance load since I read on Flaming Candle that the 4630 can take between 8-10% FO. I read FO info was important for newbies to include in their posts. 

I would ideally not like to double wick because I prefer the single wick look, but if it's what I need to do, I'll do it. You don't think 1 wick is practical? Yankee's candles are 4 inches wide and they just have 1 wick. But of course I have no idea what wax they're using, etc.

Edited by angelcandles

I hate trying to wick apothecary jars! Such a PITA! I'd suggest trying a double too. You could try a HTP1212 for a single wick, but that's. going to look like a tiki torch in a container that short. Try two HTP 62 if you like that series, or try a couple zincs as @bfroberts suggested.

I believe @Jcandleattic has a lot of experience with apothecary jars, maybe she has some tips!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Ahaha I have been knocking my head about this same thing. There is a solution, but it involves using the Yankee candle toppers. From what I have seen these metal toppers they sell for around $11 will fix the problem so that a single wick works. Only downside is that they have Yankee name on the side. Would be nice to find a place that makes them so you could put your own name on it. I found some other brands but they look cheap, almost like someone had access to a metal shop and just had some circles cut out with designs on them.

image.png.403c0e00047feaeaf95eb99f8bc61998.png