Preliminary results on the effects of temperature on curing

I poured two 8oz tins with 6006 and 7% lemon verbena. I put one in the refrigerator and one in the garage. I also put each of them in Ziploc bags. After two weeks I took them out and gave them 24 hours to come to room temperature. Both my wife and I did a blind test to pick which one had the better CT. We both picked the one that had cured in the garage, the difference wasn’t huge, but it was noticeable. Testing the HT was much more difficult. Every room in my house is a different size with different airflow. In the end I have to say the results were inconclusive. If one did have a better HT it was the one from the garage, but they could have been even and I might have reach the same conclusion. One bit of evidence that the garage candle had cured faster was that it produced a noticeably smaller MP, which could account for the difference in HT not being significant. Initially I had planned to give them a month before testing, but you know how that goes. I put them back in their bags and back in the refrigerator and the garage. It will be four weeks before I can test them again; at that time I would expect the results to be definitive. If my hypothesis is correct you should cure your candles in the warmest place possible so long as it never exceeds the melting point of the wax, but we won’t know for sure until next month.  

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
On 7/10/2020 at 5:58 PM, Kevin Fischer said:

@Forrest... dug this one out of the archives.  I don't remember if you posted the results anywhere else but call me interested!

Something happened, I can't recall what, and I had to leave town right as I was going to report my results. So thank you for reminding me. The results were not what I expected, the temperature had no effect on the curing process.  The candles burned the same, and I couldn't tell a difference in the CT or HT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been churning this in my head for a bit.  It seems a lot like soap... The initial couple of weeks of cure environment can make a big difference early on, but they all end up at the same place over time. 

your garage heat likely did help the candle do that last 5-10% or so of crystal formation more quickly than the one in the cold refrigerator.  Chemical reactions usually happen more quickly with warmer temps than cold. I remember your comment regarding my Faire environment likely helping shorten the soy candle cure. You were on to something. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I’ve been churning this in my head for a bit.  It seems a lot like soap... The initial couple of weeks of cure environment can make a big difference early on, but they all end up at the same place over time. 

your garage heat likely did help the candle do that last 5-10% or so of crystal formation more quickly than the one in the cold refrigerator.  Chemical reactions usually happen more quickly with warmer temps than cold. I remember your comment regarding my Faire environment likely helping shorten the soy candle cure. You were on to something. 

I think I need to rerun this test and skip the FO, I could use the size of the MP to judge results.