6% vs higher %'s?

Dirt Roads

It can also be an optical illusion from a wet spot. The glass becomes a lens that distorts things. 

Hard to say say if an air pocket like that can reasonably form toward the outside of the vessel since that is where the wax tends to cool first, then pull away when the temp fluctuations are just right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It can also be an optical illusion from a wet spot. The glass becomes a lens that distorts things. 

Hard to say say if an air pocket like that can reasonably form toward the outside of the vessel since that is where the wax tends to cool first, then pull away when the temp fluctuations are just right. 

Good point which leads me to an interesting thought.  The lids I have for these jars are the glass ones.  They seal pretty tightly.  I wonder if capping them is forcing enough air into the jar that it moves the wax around and creates wet spots and the like.  That needs some testing methinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 1:16 PM, bfroberts said:

It's wet spots, not air pockets.  Nothing at all to worry about.  Wet spots are a battle you won't win, so don't waste your time fighting it.  

I've been experimenting today and I think I've stumbled on a way to eliminate or at least minimize wet spots.  It's nothing that would be realistic for a large scale candle maker.  Well, it could but it would take a lot of space and some fabrication.  Anyway.  Vacuum.  Cooling the candles while under a small amount of vacuum pressure has shown success on, so far, eliminating the major wet spots I was getting.  I've been doing it on a small scale with a quick vacuum lid I cobbled together with a brake fluid pump.  For my purposes I'm thinking something like one of the stainless steel restaurant steam table pans.  Fab a gasket for the lid.  Stuck on a fitting, fill th candles, apply the vacuum and walk away.  I'm going to continue these experiments and will try to cobble together the multi unit pan this weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes.  So far I've done 4 under vacuum and none of the issues I've seen this far.  Very small sample size so too soon to give it a thumbs up but looks promising.

28 minutes ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

I've been experimenting today and I think I've stumbled on a way to eliminate or at least minimize wet spots.  It's nothing that would be realistic for a large scale candle maker.  Well, it could but it would take a lot of space and some fabrication.  Anyway.  Vacuum.  Cooling the candles while under a small amount of vacuum pressure has shown success on, so far, eliminating the major wet spots I was getting.  I've been doing it on a small scale with a quick vacuum lid I cobbled together with a brake fluid pump.  For my purposes I'm thinking something like one of the stainless steel restaurant steam table pans.  Fab a gasket for the lid.  Stuck on a fitting, fill th candles, apply the vacuum and walk away.  I'm going to continue these experiments and will try to cobble together the multi unit pan this weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes.  So far I've done 4 under vacuum and none of the issues I've seen this far.  Very small sample size so too soon to give it a thumbs up but looks promising.

They can and do appear later with any temp fluctuations or what have you. Things we have no control over.  Don't worry about them. Customers don't notice or care.  

• Like 2

I've got a lot of time on my hands (retired now) and this kind of intrigues me.  Customers may not see or care about then but I'm a bit ocd and they bug the heck out of me.  I've got a buddy that's a chemical engineer and I tossed the idea at him this morning, the thought being that during production there is a significant temperature change going from 170F to an average room temp of 77F or so.  If you could find a process to eliminate or minimize the wet spot issue during the cooling stage (such as slowing the rate of cooling) when you have that significant temperature drop then it shouldn't be such as issue once they have hardened when the temp change will most likely be +/- 15 degrees or so, which is a lot less significant.  He tended to agree but also agreed that more testing would have to be done to confirm it.  We both also theorized that if you did see some of the issues crop back up that they would be minimal in comparison to what can happen during the initial cooling process.  At this point this is one of those "it looks good on paper" things and it may end up not holding water but I've got way too much time on my hands so it gives me something to do regardless of the outcome.

I'm typing on my phone so I may have wandered a bit around the yard to get to my destination but I think the general idea is there.

I bought a case of status jars, because I just love the look of them.  I was super disappointed when I noticed that the jars were all molded wonky.  The inside bottom of the jars were slightly at an angle and I just couldn't get past it.  I love the cute lids that work with them!  

On 6/24/2019 at 2:10 PM, ruralers said:

I bought a case of status jars, because I just love the look of them.  I was super disappointed when I noticed that the jars were all molded wonky.  The inside bottom of the jars were slightly at an angle and I just couldn't get past it.  I love the cute lids that work with them!  

My husband works for Libbey glass and actually runs the machines that make the glass. There are two types of machines that make glass: blower and press. You will get a much better and consistent product with the press. There are so many ways the glass can be inconsistent and have flaws with a blower. 

Status jars are made with a blower. For comparison, the Libbey cube jars are made with a press. That’s why they look so amazing. 

If if anyone ever has glass questions just hit me up!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2