129 candles

Has anyone tried or using CBL 129 for candles?  I hear more and more about the stellar 125 around here on the forum but CW video on their different types of wax states 125 scent throw is good but not as good as 129.  Do you think it is because the 129 is a harder wax or because they're trying to promote the 129 more?  In the few FB groups I have seen some chandlers that have used it with LX, Zinc, or RRD wicks with success and clean burns.

I agree with Candlewic; having tried both, I believe the CBL 129 has a stronger throw. 

I have used both when making candles, and in my experience the 129 has a stronger throw.  It remains my favorite CW wax, closely followed by the 125.

I should add that I use the 125 for wax melts also, but add a harder wax to it.

@lovelyscents, @Ravens, you are rocking my world right now. 129 has better throw than 125? Why didn't I know about this?? 😱

I've been toying with revisiting the 129 for melts, clearly I need to order a couple slabs to make some candles too! Between this and  the 133, I'll be enjoying test candles straight through the holidays! 😂

@Ravens, do you ever mix 129 and 125 for candles?

😂 we are just alike with trying about every wax someone says is the bomb.com!  In my experience of 129 for melts, they throw and they last for sure.  I was also thinking about 125 with 129 for candles since cajun does 4786 with 4633.  The only thing is, I like the more creamy appearance of the 4786 than 129 but do not want to purchase from 2 different suppliers.  That's why I'm figuring out Aztec for all IGI or CW for their blends.  It never ends 🙄🤦‍♀️ 

ETA: the 125 has a shine to it so maybe adding the matte 129 would help better than 4786 with that aspect 🤔

Edited by lovelyscents

51 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

Ravens, I know you loved/love the 4786 as well.  How do you feel 4786 and 129 compare?  Now did you ever test the 125 against the 129 in the exact same oils and jar combo?  

Yes, I did, and in my opinion, the CBL 129 has better HT, actually even better than the 4786.  What I do not like about the 478 and the 129 is that both require a re-pour.... no matter how cool I pour, still a repour is needed.  Don't need to do that with the CBL 125.

If I had to choose between the 4786 and the 129, I would probably choose the 129, although they are pretty close in the HT area.  However, shipping from Candlewic is very expensive for me, whereas I can order the 4786 from Lonestar, with reasonable shipping and at my doorstep the following day 🙂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

@lovelyscents, @Ravens, you are rocking my world right now. 129 has better throw than 125? Why didn't I know about this?? 😱

I've been toying with revisiting the 129 for melts, clearly I need to order a couple slabs to make some candles too! Between this and  the 133, I'll be enjoying test candles straight through the holidays! 😂

@Ravens, do you ever mix 129 and 125 for candles?

Sarah, I have not tried mixing the two.  We are rocking your world because, speaking for myself, I am the consummate enabler! 😆

• Haha 2

Just now, Ravens said:

Sarah, I have not tried mixing the two.  We are rocking your world because, speaking for myself, I am the consummate enabler! 😆

I will agree with this, you got me started on the 4786 train 😂🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

@Sarah S you did end up ordering 133? How is the appearance?

Not yet, I try to wait until I know I'm headed up that way before I order wax from them. Saving that $40 in shipping is massive! I have to go up to Philly in a couple weeks for work, so maybe I'll do a detour and stop by CW then. 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Sarah S said:

Not yet, I try to wait until I know I'm headed up that way before I order wax from them. Saving that $40 in shipping is massive! I have to go up to Philly in a couple weeks for work, so maybe I'll do a detour and stop by CW then. 😁

Gotcha, I may beat you with ordering some haha!  It is all paraffin isn't it?

9 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

@Ravens you like zinc wicks correct?

Yes, I really do.  After years of testing, I decided to stick  with zinc wicks; HTPs are second favorite. 

My labels instruct customers to always trim the wick, but I eventually realized that once the candles leave your hands, you just cannot know if the customer will trim the wick.

There is only so much I can control 🙄

1 hour ago, Ravens said:

Yes, I really do.  After years of testing, I decided to stick  with zinc wicks; HTPs are second favorite. 

My labels instruct customers to always trim the wick, but I eventually realized that once the candles leave your hands, you just cannot know if the customer will trim the wick.

There is only so much I can control 🙄

Have you tried Premiers?  I am testing those with 4786 paraffin currently.

29 minutes ago, Fireside said:

Have you tried Premiers?  I am testing those with 4786 paraffin currently.

I did test them, a few years back; was not impressed one bit, but that doesn't mean they will not work for you. 

Let us know how the Premier testing goes, if you don't mind  🙂 

8 minutes ago, Ravens said:

I did test them, a few years back; was not impressed one bit, but that doesn't mean they will not work for you. 

Let us know how the Premier testing goes, if you don't mind  🙂 

Will do, so far not impressed neither.  Clean burn, no soot, mostly steady flame but the HT is not there.  We shall see with more tests.

12 minutes ago, Fireside said:

Will do, so far not impressed neither.  Clean burn, no soot, mostly steady flame but the HT is not there.  We shall see with more tests.

That was my problem also; no HT.  I tested for over 8 months - steady!  Ugh... 

I know I learned during that time; well, that's what I tell myself when I'm feeling positive; otherwise I think, "what a lot of wasted time and energy!", lolol 

34 minutes ago, Ravens said:

That was my problem also; no HT.  I tested for over 8 months - steady!  Ugh... 

I know I learned during that time; well, that's what I tell myself when I'm feeling positive; otherwise I think, "what a lot of wasted time and energy!", lolol 

I do that exact same thing!  I have something good then I waste time and money on thinking I can get better and then end up right back where I started.  I was going to try RRD wicks in the 129 but I hate how limited sizes they have for those.  I am trying to get around using the wire core zinc so I dont have to lecture every person who thinks it is bad 🙄.  However, I am NOT giving up my paraffin so when it comes to choosing wax vs wicks, wax it is so zinc will stay if need be.

ETA: also curious on LX and CD

Edited by lovelyscents

2 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

I do that exact same thing!  I have something good that I waste time and money on thinking I can get better and then end up right back where I started.  I was going to try RRD wicks in the 129 but I hate how limited sizes they have for those.  I am trying to get around using the wire core zinc so I dont have to lecture every person who thinks it is bad 🙄.  However, I am NOT giving up my paraffin so when it comes to choosing wax vs wicks, wax it is so zinc will stay if need be.

At the shop, I have a large card with information about zinc wicks.  That seems to satisfy customers, and I've never been questioned about them.  If I were you, I would not bother with the RRD wicks either.... yep, tried those too! 😒

I'm currently using the 129 and I do prefer it over the 125 although the repours are a pain.....the 125 smelled too "paraffinish" to me and I didn't like the gummy consistency of it. Still haven't found the magic wick yet....I've only been testing it a couple weeks and just today decided to mix it 50/50 with gb464.....there's nothing like the cold throw of soy and maybe my wick options will open up a little....who knows?

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 4:14 PM, Ravens said:

At the shop, I have a large card with information about zinc wicks.  That seems to satisfy customers, and I've never been questioned about them.  If I were you, I would not bother with the RRD wicks either.... yep, tried those too! 😒

What a great idea, a informative card on your product.  Why thank you for saving me some hair on my head by skipping RRD testing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 8:37 PM, jaybee said:

I'm currently using the 129 and I do prefer it over the 125 although the repours are a pain.....the 125 smelled too "paraffinish" to me and I didn't like the gummy consistency of it. Still haven't found the magic wick yet....I've only been testing it a couple weeks and just today decided to mix it 50/50 with gb464.....there's nothing like the cold throw of soy and maybe my wick options will open up a little....who knows?

How are you liking your custom parasoy blend or did you go back to straight 129?  Have you tried their 130 which is parasoy so you dont have to blend?