Am I crazy ?

As some of you know, I am just now getting back into this after 8 or so years away. I've just gotten in a large amount of samples from NF and my gf picked me up some 1oz of my favorite FOs when she made some purchases at BC and Aztec. There was one that my DS and I were eagerly awaiting to get ahold of after all these years... Wildberry Zinger Tea from BC. I picked it up today, opened it, sniffed and yep, that's it.........except............. what the heck happened ? It's about twice as WEAK as it used to be, not near the same bright yellow tint of the FO and well, normally when you opened up a bottle of this you couldn't even get it near your nose it was so strong, and now, well... it's like....blah as far as the OOB throw goes. A couple from Aztec that I know used to burn my nose hairs before I could get a decent whiff of, was the much weaker also.

So... in the years that I've been out of the game, has something happened with FOs being weaker and in some cases drastically so ? 

( I would probably think I'm imagining things on the WZT from BC but I'm sure someone on here has smelled it before and I can attest it is NOT near the same strength ) .

Am I crazy ? 

Kat

I got started 10 years ago with candles. At that time I was only ordering from Lonestar and Natures Garden. When I picked back up a couple of years ago I noticed the oils smelled weaker oob and in product. 

My first candles you could smell 5 feet away the instant I removed the lid. Not anymore. 

I knew nothing about candle making back then. Didn’t have access to any sites like this. Just followed reviews on candle making sites, which I now know are often inaccurate. And I made awesome candles! 

Now, ten years later, with much more knowledge I can’t seem to make a candle worth a damn. How is that possible? My husband and I have been talking about this and laughing/crying (when it comes to the money spent restarting). 

Changes in wax and the strength of oils is what I think is the difference. Unless all my “knowledge” is getting in the way or I just had a tremendous case of beginners luck!

• Like 1

Yes, I've noticed over the last few years that scents were weaker, other people on here were saying the same thing too, while prices were climbing and many suppliers started going out of business.  I think at least some of the weakening started when they began cutting out pthalates a few years ago.

• Like 3

I too have been out of the game for a few years, I got a few samples poured recently and so far what I poured has been fine. I used FO samples from CS and CBL 130 from CW.

I have some older FO that I use for myself, and it was good.

I don't know about phthalates, maybe it does affect some.

15 hours ago, Darbla said:

Yes, I've noticed over the last few years that scents were weaker, other people on here were saying the same thing too, while prices were climbing and many suppliers started going out of business.  I think at least some of the weakening started when they began cutting out pthalates a few years ago.

Yes yes yes.  Evil misunderstood phthalates. I miss phthalates.

Add to that:

1- the human factor: most of their customers would prefer to use 12% of a $15 per lb FO than 6% of a $30 version.

2- iFRA usage limitations that change constantly (not as much of a problem for candles as bath and body)

3- three chemical companies overseas that mysteriously had fires within a couple of months of one another.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Yes yes yes.  Evil misunderstood phthalates. I miss phthalates.

My sentiments exactly. Its a buzzword for 'healthier'. Okay I wouldn't want them in my food or cosmetics or other products I injest or put on my body. But does having phthalate free FO make a candle healthier or safer for you?

I know this, they made FOs smell so much better and I am missing them too.

• Like 1

Do you think it's possible that we are desensitized to scents?   I know when I got my first FO's,  I would smell OTB and think "OMG this is wonderful".    The othe rnight after making a round of lotion and soaps in Love Spell, I could barely smell anything OTB.  Next morning everything seemed more fragrant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 6:24 PM, Candybee said:

My sentiments exactly. Its a buzzword for 'healthier'. Okay I wouldn't want them in my food or cosmetics or other products I injest or put on my body. But does having phthalate free FO make a candle healthier or safer for you?

I know this, they made FOs smell so much better and I am missing them too.

Phthalates are not one single thing. They appear naturally every day in common “healthy” food. It’s like mushrooms... there are good ones and bad ones. Eat most mushrooms/phthalates all day long and you’ll be fine.  Eat a bad kind of mushroom and thenstory changes.  Does this mean we should never eat ANY mushrooms because some might be bad?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Found this post as I just received an order from JS, one of my favorite suppliers and one of my favorite FO I purchase regularly has a much weaker scent than a year ago. I was going to email them, but I have found in the past when I ask a question via email I typically get a very defensive response and I highly doubt JS would admit to watering down this particular FO. Just thought I would share as I was hoping I wasn't the only one experiencing this. Not much you can do I guess.

Not sure it is “watered down” as much as reformulated to keep within ifra limits and budgetary constraints. Add in the fragrance lab fires last year and it’s a perfect storm for change. 

Also if the oils are newer they smell different than older ones. A lot happens in those legs and bottles on the shelf v

• Like 1