464 issues fixed by ASO

If you like 464 that’s worth a try. I like ASO Midwest Soy as a base to build my own container wax though.  I know for 64 is popular but I just never found it to be all that. There are so many better wax is on the market once you get your feet wet.

Thank you TT!  I have been doing all paraffin melts for over 4 years now and trying to SLOWLY dip my feet into candles.  I know Trapp (rest her sweet soul) loved her 464 as well as many others.  I poured some ASO midwest on it's own last night as I want to get to know the wax blends inside and out doing melts before dabbling with the wick and jar, especially since I am new to soy.  The problem with the midwest is it seems very mushy and when I go to pop it out (fully cooled overnight), it is seeping oils.  Not to mention the wrinkly tops!  I poured around 105-115 with 10% oils.  I believe the modifier they carry is recommended for this wax so I may give that or a small amount of beeswax a whirl.  I love the throw on paraffin but not the shiny clear appearance most leave, also I know most paraffin wax favors with zinc wicks and I'm not sure I like a wire core.  I'm very curious on the joy wax but after seeing all of their reviews being from 2016 or older along with those who state how variable it is each time, may not be the way to go here.  Considered ordering 6006 but again, not as creamy dry matte as soy and I've heard alot of issues recently with variations/wicking using 6006.  I know all wax blends have their inconsistencies and everyone will either love or hate a specific wax and this is why I will test for myself but I'm highly contemplating blending my own parasoy for candles vs a pre blended version.  Do you feel if I keep the soy to paraffin ratios on par with say 6006, the wicking would be similar?  

Edited by lovelyscents

The reason I ask is because I am worried that going off the charts different with my own blend would be harder for me to troubleshoot wicks etc.   For example, many use 6006 so having a issue with that wax would be a bit easier to troubleshoot via searching or asking on here vs a proprietary blend I do. 

Unless I am overthinking that aspect?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 3:31 PM, lovelyscents said:

Thank you TT!  I have been doing all paraffin melts for over 4 years now and trying to SLOWLY dip my feet into candles.  I know Trapp (rest her sweet soul) loved her 464 as well as many others.  I poured some ASO midwest on it's own last night as I want to get to know the wax blends inside and out doing melts before dabbling with the wick and jar, especially since I am new to soy.  The problem with the midwest is it seems very mushy and when I go to pop it out (fully cooled overnight), it is seeping oils.  Not to mention the wrinkly tops!  I poured around 105-115 with 10% oils.  I believe the modifier they carry is recommended for this wax so I may give that or a small amount of beeswax a whirl.  I love the throw on paraffin but not the shiny clear appearance most leave, also I know most paraffin wax favors with zinc wicks and I'm not sure I like a wire core.  I'm very curious on the joy wax but after seeing all of their reviews being from 2016 or older along with those who state how variable it is each time, may not be the way to go here.  Considered ordering 6006 but again, not as creamy dry matte as soy and I've heard alot of issues recently with variations/wicking using 6006.  I know all wax blends have their inconsistencies and everyone will either love or hate a specific wax and this is why I will test for myself but I'm highly contemplating blending my own parasoy for candles vs a pre blended version.  Do you feel if I keep the soy to paraffin ratios on par with say 6006, the wicking would be similar?  

The problem with your midwest might just be temp when poured. If I pour too hot and it cools too slowly  it develops grains. There’s nothing added to prevent that. A couple options I learned were to pour cooler and cool quicker

• Thanks 1