Labeling Question

Forrest

The other thing that I read above is buying enough to bring the cost per label down. How many extra will that mean? Those, in my experience, become waste.

little story. I have printed labels in house forever. Used to buy labels by the sheet in various configurations. When I needed one label, it meant printing a sheet. Each individual label cost pennies. Extra sheets cost dollars. After  few months those extra labels filled several expanding folders to be thrown out when branding or recipes changed. 

Longer story. @moonshine convinced me in early 2017 to invest in a specialized label printer. The initial investment was staggering. I cursed her power over me. But now, I can print one off, professional looking labels any time with zero waste. It saves so much time in the end. TIME is my most limited resource, so that was priceless. I owe her more than I can ever repay for that push. It was a game changer. 

I’m not saying everyone should jump out and buy a labeling printer, but instead to look at the total cost of the project. Buying 1,000 labels to bring the cost down per unit when you may only ever need 100 means wasting 900 labels. They do age, get damaged. Lost. Etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

The other thing that I read above is buying enough to bring the cost per label down. How many extra will that mean? Those, in my experience, become waste.

little story. I have printed labels in house forever. Used to buy labels by the sheet in various configurations. When I needed one label, it meant printing a sheet. Each individual label cost pennies. Extra sheets cost dollars. After  few months those extra labels filled several expanding folders to be thrown out when branding or recipes changed. 

Longer story. @moonshine convinced me in early 2017 to invest in a specialized label printer. The initial investment was staggering. I cursed her power over me. But now, I can print one off, professional looking labels any time with zero waste. It saves so much time in the end. TIME is my most limited resource, so that was priceless. I owe her more than I can ever repay for that push. It was a game changer. 

I’m not saying everyone should jump out and buy a labeling printer, but instead to look at the total cost of the project. Buying 1,000 labels to bring the cost down per unit when you may only ever need 100 means wasting 900 labels. They do age, get damaged. Lost. Etc. 

Wow those stories hit home to me.  I have a ton of sheets of labels in my house waiting to be used, but like you said, testing will sometimes take out a sheet or two.  I'm not big time by any means, so I more often print off small batches, and if I could do single high quality labels with no waste, all the better!  How do the "specialized label printers" deal with different sizes/shape of labels?  Again, perhaps the printer's limitation forces you to minimize your labeling strategy and not over-complicate things.  

Edited by Paintguru

57 minutes ago, Paintguru said:

Wow those stories hit home to me.  I have a ton of sheets of labels in my house waiting to be used, but like you said, testing will sometimes take out a sheet or two.  I'm not big time by any means, so I more often print off small batches, and if I could do single high quality labels with no waste, all the better!  How do the "specialized label printers" deal with different sizes/shape of labels?  Again, perhaps the printer's limitation forces you to minimize your labeling strategy and not over-complicate things.  

I have a primera lx500-the entry model. The only limitation is a 4” width. Can do full bleed on many different label stocks so basically anything I need.  

It does any shape no problem so long as the biggest measurement is 4” 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, TallTayl said:

I have a primera lx500-the entry model. The only limitation is a 4” width. Can do full bleed on many different label stocks so basically anything I need.  

It does any shape no problem so long as the biggest measurement is 4” 

Now this is getting exciting! A label printer!! How does the label quality compare to (a) high quality home laser printer (b) high end commercially printed label?

Do you have many choices for the type of paper rolls used? UV or glossy or any special coatings? Or it just takes one basic paper? Can we please see some label photos :)

Might be worth the investment!

On 6/24/2019 at 2:39 AM, syntheaahh said:

Like cricut or silhouette? I agree there's a learning curve to them and you're right, it makes the project so much easier and the possibilities of cutting designs are endless than the old school one. I can speak for Cricut because that's what I have, the option for print and cut is only limited to 6x9 (If I remembered it right) but there are tricks for these too. You can make your design/label on the design space or inkscape (free design program) or avery, save it then upload it on the program. 

For the printer, I use Epson Ecotank (inkjet), where its refillable with ink and it lasts forever. The ink is way cheaper and lasts longer compare to the normal cartridge type.

Yes, I have a cricut. The print and cut extends to something like 9.25 or 9.75...how were you able to make it longer? I have made labels via cricut that I really wanted to wrap all the way around the box, but they stopped short. Do you make the rectangle larger and then print? Every time I have tried, cricut says the image is too large.

7 hours ago, candlesinflorida said:

Yes, I have a cricut. The print and cut extends to something like 9.25 or 9.75...how were you able to make it longer? I have made labels via cricut that I really wanted to wrap all the way around the box, but they stopped short. Do you make the rectangle larger and then print? Every time I have tried, cricut says the image is too large.

I sometimes trick the system. I print the label using normal program (like word) (do not include the rectangle), then make a cut file with like 10 inch rectangle. Match the location and size of the rectangle with the printed image. Load the printed paper into the mat. 

So to make sure it cuts right where it should be: Remove your blade, so it wont cut through, but watch closely where it would cut. It'll take adjustments but once you get it right where it should be, you can mark your mat so everytime you do it, its easier. ;)

The reason why I suggested not placing the labels on the box when printed is so when the cricut cuts the rectangle (or any shape you would prefer), you won't need to worry about the blade not hitting the printed rectangle right.

18 hours ago, candlesinflorida said:

Now this is getting exciting! A label printer!! How does the label quality compare to (a) high quality home laser printer (b) high end commercially printed label?

Do you have many choices for the type of paper rolls used? UV or glossy or any special coatings? Or it just takes one basic paper? Can we please see some label photos :)

Might be worth the investment!

Quality is exceptional compared to other office type printers by far. 

Infinite choices of label stock. 

F0A2C3A8-4C2C-4F93-841F-B085B35B0436.jpeg

threw this one together quickly using PowerPoint to layer images and text then printed in Word. If given a minute of attention  the bleed would have been perfect.