Labeling Question

Forrest

I’m hoping to sell about 300 candles a year in 5 different FOs, which means approximately 60 per FO. With a little help and advice on this board I settled on hangtags. The problem is small batch printing is expensive, so having separate hangtags for each scent isn’t feasible. The best idea I’ve come up with is to print my own small, clear labels and put them on the back of the hangtag. Would that look OK? Anybody got a better idea?

• Like 2

Onlinelabels.com has cardstock tags so you could print your own as needed. I’m sure other label companies have them as well but I order from them because they have a great price, fast shipping, always send coupons. And you get use of their printing program if you don’t have one you use already. 

I think printed would would look better than putting a sticker on a hang tag. 

https://www.onlinelabels.com/cardstock.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

Onlinelabels.com has cardstock tags so you could print your own as needed. I’m sure other label companies have them as well but I order from them because they have a great price, fast shipping, always send coupons. And you get use of their printing program if you don’t have one you use already. 

I think printed would would look better than putting a sticker on a hang tag. 

https://www.onlinelabels.com/cardstock.htm

I haven't tried my new printer, but my old printer was always off center when I printed labels

Just now, Forrest said:

I haven't tried my new printer, but my old printer was always off center when I printed labels

Mine too!  I spent many an hour shifting things around and printing until it came out right. On the screen it looks way off but they print correctly!  

Now, when I create a new label, I open up an old one that is calibrated correctly and re save as the new label. 

It’s only a hassle now when I am working with a new label- new dimensions. 

If you don’t want to print them yourself. What about having a company print them with your company name on the front, that way you could order bulk quantity of that one hang tag. Then do your sticker idea for the back to designate your fragrance. 

Oh, that’s what you said the first time! Lol!!!!

I first read it like that’s all you were going to do...put a sticker on a hang tag. But I see now you said on the back! 

Edited by Sebleo
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I’m hoping to sell about 300 candles a year in 5 different FOs, which means approximately 60 per FO. With a little help and advice on this board I settled on hangtags. The problem is small batch printing is expensive, so having separate hangtags for each scent isn’t feasible. The best idea I’ve come up with is to print my own small, clear labels and put them on the back of the hangtag. Would that look OK? Anybody got a better idea?

Funny you bring that up because I've been thinking about the same thing with labels and the different scents.

Avery we print is free to design. You have the option of printing it yourself or for a fee they will print for you and send them to you.

what I like is I can design my labels and print a test copy on reg. printing paper, cut it out, slap on my jar and decide if it works, size wize, front type, etc.

I have heard good things about Onlinelables.

Another one I love and it’s free is Canva. I design labels on canva, it saves your designs. I then you to Avery weprint, open the canva design and print.

• Like 1

You could

- have them all printed with a check list of scents.  Check mark the scent on the label manually or with a cute stamp.

- get a rubber stamp per scent

- stickers

- hand write names

- print the master with all 6 scents/label specifics on each page. Cut as needed. 

- try an etsy seller out. Many specialize in short run like this.

- already mentioned: use an avery template.  These are often awesome and easy to use. Just used them for postcards.  Have not found anything easier to use in my desktop publishing career.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

You could

- have them all printed with a check list of scents.  Check mark the scent on the label manually or with a cute stamp.

- hand write names

I hadn't thought about including all the scents, that would work well so long as I don't change scents. As for hand writing the name, even I can't read my handwriting.

1 hour ago, Laura C said:

Funny you bring that up because I've been thinking about the same thing with labels and the different scents.

I think it would work, if my printer can get the text in the right place. The advantage is that it would cut way down on my cost per hang-tag and allow me to change/add scents. I could make a place on the tag for the sticker so that it doesn't look like an afterthought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forrest said:

I think it would work, if my printer can get the text in the right place. The advantage is that it would cut way down on my cost per hang-tag and allow me to change/add scents. I could make a place on the tag for the sticker so that it doesn't look like an afterthought.

Yes, I know what you mean. I can't decide what I want to do yet, 1 label with all info or 2 labels with the scent name separate. Guess I should just jump in and try one option out (as a small qty) and then change to the other option if that doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

I'm kind of in the same boat.  I was tired of printing my own labels and going through a ton of ink so I ordered a bunch of labels with just my company name and graphic.  I thought once I got the labels I would figure out what to do about the scent name and other info. Yeah.  I still haven't figured it all out, and I'm still printing my own labels.  

• Like 1

TWO THOUGHTS:

1) To make life easier, design the labels in a way that it won't matter if they are slightly off center.  Be sure not to create any shapes or circular writing or anything that will look bad if it is not perfectly centered. I have done that when I am running low on time or feel sick of the process lol

2) This is a big learning curve...but if you can manage to learn how to use a digital cutter, you can design and print within the program and create hang-tags in any shape you want, with a hole (or a star or any other cut shape!) and you can print-and-cut together. (Meaning that the program sends the design to your printer and creates laser guidelines that cuts the precise, exact shapes in the right place). Everything will look perfect and you can easily do as many as you want, for super cheap per piece.

(Btw, this is how I always do my labels and dust covers).

Edited by candlesinflorida
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have seen high-end candle companies that have printed packaging and then in an area that is already printed white, they put a tiny label (on top of the white area) with the scent name. This way, at first glance, it looks like it is part of the custom printing, even though it isn't. You really can't tell that the white part of the label has a little sticker in the middle.

So basically-you could design generic company labels and have them printed professionally, with a large white rectangle incorporated somewhere on the label design. Then put your teeny scent sticker in the middle of the white rect. so the label background blends in. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, candlesinflorida said:

TWO THOUGHTS:

1) To make life easier, design the labels in a way that it won't matter if they are slightly off center.  Be sure not to create any shapes or circular writing or anything that will look bad if it is not perfectly centered. I have done that when I am running low on time or feel sick of the process lol

2) This is a big learning curve...but if you can manage to learn how to use a digital cutter, you can design and print within the program and create hang-tags in any shape you want, with a hole (or a star or any other cut shape!) and you can print-and-cut together. (Meaning that the program sends the design to your printer and creates laser guidelines that cuts the precise, exact shapes in the right place). Everything will look perfect and you can easily do as many as you want, for super cheap per piece.

My wife has always wanted one of those. These days she wants it to make stencils to airbrush cookies, but she had other reasons in the past. It would be perfect if my volume justified the cost. Maybe I could buy her one as a present and use it for my labels.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, candlesinflorida said:

I have seen high-end candle companies that have printed packaging and then in an area that is already printed white, they put a tiny label (on top of the white area) with the scent name. This way, at first glance, it looks like it is part of the custom printing, even though it isn't. You really can't tell that the white part of the label has a little sticker in the middle.

So basically-you could design generic company labels and have them printed professionally, with a large white rectangle incorporated somewhere on the label design. Then put your teeny scent sticker in the middle of the white rect. so the label background blends in. 

That's what I was thinking, I can order 1,000 hang tags and get the cost per tag down to a reasonable level. Then I could put the sticker on the back of the hang tag.

I think this can be harder than making a candle! Well maybe.

The label represents you, your candle and your brand and we want to get it right. The label is advertisement for your product.

I often look on Etsy, candle companies just to see what’s out there but for me the commitment of a label can seem like a lot. I know I can change it down the road but it still is a challenge. 

Wow, a 2 x 4 label has power over me!!!🌸

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

Short run here not expensive

https://www.vistaprint.com/marketing-materials/hang-tags?GP=06%2f07%2f2019+07%3a01%3a08&GPS=5401455866&GNF=1

best you print yourself is with a laser printer.

Love the rubber stamp idea but if the look doesn’t represent you then you have to use something else.

I looked at them, but I need a folded hang tag, if it wern't for that they would have been perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 9:00 PM, candlesinflorida said:

TWO THOUGHTS:

Like cricut or silhouette? I agree there's a learning curve to them and you're right, it makes the project so much easier and the possibilities of cutting designs are endless than the old school one. I can speak for Cricut because that's what I have, the option for print and cut is only limited to 6x9 (If I remembered it right) but there are tricks for these too. You can make your design/label on the design space or inkscape (free design program) or avery, save it then upload it on the program. 

For the printer, I use Epson Ecotank (inkjet), where its refillable with ink and it lasts forever. The ink is way cheaper and lasts longer compare to the normal cartridge type.

This is all sounding so overly complicated. You’re still going to put a warning sticker on the bottom, right? Why not put your scent sticker there and avoid additional costs and headaches? Each jar is “color coded” with the alcohol ink, no? 

Or put the scent sticked under the lid.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

This is all sounding so overly complicated. You’re still going to put a warning sticker on the bottom, right? Why not put your scent sticker there and avoid additional costs and headaches? Each jar is “color coded” with the alcohol ink, no? 

Or put the scent sticked under the lid.

I second this.  Many candle brands in the mid-high range, when using unique containers, do not have the scent name noted anywhere but in tiny print on the bottom safety label or if the container has no lid, they might print it on the dust cover.