Fundraiser question

Tlatch7

Hello. I am an old member of this board. I started making candles 18 yrs ago.  Been on and off with raising kids. Went to nursing school. Now I’m back I to trying to do what I love. 

Ive searched the board but couldn’t find an answer..  I live in Louisiana. I have a friend who has a daughter ho is trying to raise money to go in mission trip. Can I do a fundraiser with her and her friends and family without it being under an “organization “

thanks in advance 

You can always do stuff under the table and off the books...   But the liabilities between the law, lawsuits, insurance are usually not worth it.

I am sure half the people at some of the craft shows I do are NOT registered as a business, do NOT pay sales tax , and have no insurance.

As far as a fundraiser it is really no different that selling wholesale to a gift shop and them re-selling it.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Tlatch7 said:

I have a friend who has a daughter ho is trying to raise money to go in mission trip. Can I do a fundraiser with her and her friends and family without it being under an “organization “

thanks in advance 

You don't have to do a fundraiser for an organization or corporation. If you like, just give your group a name like "Sally's Mission Trip Fundraiser" and sell them that way. I used to give my candles to a friend of mine to sell on her trips to New York. She would take all my leftover candles for the season with her on her trips to visit friends and family. I gave her a price I wanted for the candles sales and she could set the price and keep the difference. Worked out great for me and for her. So you really don't have to do a special fundraiser. You could just carry a flyer with you that tells what the money is for or spread the info by word of mouth or set up a fundraiser or sale table. However you want to do it is fine.

If you have sold candles before in your state you should know what you need to do to register for a small business. If not, contact your local gov't office and find out about licensing and visit your state dept of taxation for a tax ID. If this is a one time event and you don't plan to sell year round check anyway to see what qualifies as a small business. You may not need a license if it is considered a 'hobby' by your state.

You would technically be under the same guidelines as a full time candle business and would need all the licenses and permits the state requires. 

Candybee just responded and I didn’t think about the hobby aspect. If this is a one off thing, that may be an option to get you around having to register a business. 

Of course, that wouldn’t get you around liability issues if someone were looking to sue. 

States vary I think. In Texas you would be required to collect and remit sales tax. I would bet that you do, but not sure 100%. You need a bit more than a simple google search for that one!