Frostbeard candles on ETSY

They are not overpriced for the candle. They have a niche. They wholesale.

Also do not go by Etsy prices. Sell by what your candle is worth. There are many sellers selling bottom of the barrel there and have no idea how to price. Not just candles everything else.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

I noticed candle prices on Etsy are all over the place, some underpriced and some overpriced.

Frostbread is an established business and can fetch those prices now.

How exciting to get your shop up and running!

Thats the issue Im facing. I do feel I need to be competitive with established businesses there or there is no chance for me to compete. On the other hand I dont want to sell myself short. I also feel that Etsy itself is not a place where higher priced “boojie”candles will thrive. So im stuck in the middle. I think starting with a reasonable price leaves me room to adjust prices as needed if and when I do start getting sales. 

And yes very exciting! Ive built it, now just need to get working on pointing people my way! 😬 

• Like 2

Does Etsy give you an app for automatically figuring shipping for you or do you just have to incorporate the cost into your price like Frostbeard?

When I said Frostbeard was overpriced I didn't realize shipping was included. After that was pointed out I think their price is decent. Isn't it supposed to be that double the price of what it cost you to make the candle is your wholesale price and triple it for retail unless you think its worth $100 like some luxury candles lol?  Etsy prices are all over the place. It really makes it hard to be competitive. If you are happy with your profit at $23 then leave it then slowly raise it when you get a ton of sales.   Gratz on having your own shop.

Edited by CaptnKush

2 hours ago, Clear Black said:

I think by the end of this weekend I will have my Etsy shop done and I may ask you folks your feedback. I will ask @TallTayl first though and decide how to proceed with that so it doesnt come across as me trying to promote my site or anything. 

Is there still a thread that allows member websites? I thought I saw it recently.  I’ve been considering ways to allow for promo that I need to run past the mod team first.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

Does Etsy give you an app for automatically figuring shipping for you or do you just have to incorporate the cost into your price like Frostbeard?

When I said Frostbeard was overpriced I didn't realize shipping was included. After that was pointed out I think their price is decent. Isn't it supposed to be that double the price of what it cost you to make the candle is your wholesale price and triple it for retail unless you think its worth $100 like some luxury candles lol?  Etsy prices are all over the place. It really makes it hard to be competitive. If you are happy with your profit at $23 then leave it then slowly raise it when you get a ton of sales.   Gratz on having your own shop.

Etsy does have a calculated shipping cost tool that has saved me a ton of time and $.  It’s not perfect, but darn close. One thing it does not understand is calculating for regional rate boxes, so it usually over estimates - which is far better than underestimating!

as for pricing, PK candles in 9 oz jars with scents I can identify easily as candle science go for $20 or so at our Woodfield Mall. Factoring in the 8% you’ll be paying etsy for the convenience of selling and paying through etsy, $22 is not far off the mark. 

Pricing using the old double/triple model leaves us cash poor. Price for your target market and see if that leaves you in a good position. Allow for 10% or so waste, loss, lost in transit, damaged in transit requiring replacement, etc. add in shipping materials. Allow for sales and income taxes, business registration, etc. allow wiggle room for material price fluctuations. There’s no shortage of people to pay as you sell things. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Is there still a thread that allows member websites? I thought I saw it recently.  I’ve been considering ways to allow for promo that I need to run past the mod team first.... 

Not sure either. The only advice I see being given is to update my profile with my Etsy link and that would be fine as well. I was also considering keeping it private as to also not make it seem as though I were just trying to promote.  I may just make a new thread and give instructions to visit the site through the profile link and leave feedback in that thread. 🤔

57 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

Question?

ARE consumers more inclined to make a purchase if shipping is free? Does the seller still make out this way? Pros, cons?

These are my business challenges! Math arg!

The short answer is yes. Etsy has even stated this many times over and on top of this it actually factors into your SEO ranking. Meaning, you will rank higher if you offer free shipping.  It has been shown that customers who are offered two options, Option #1 being a candle for $14 + $10 shipping or option #2 being a candle for $24 w/free shipping, they will more often than not go with the free shipping candle even though it will equal the same in the end. Something free is always more appealing and Etsy is now taking that into consideration in their SEO rankings.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 5:16 PM, CaptnKush said:

What amount of candles should you  already have ready to ship when you post on Etsy, and will you ship them without being cured in case you sell out fast and still have orders ?

You can set your inventory to the amount of candles you have. So you will never sell more than you have in stock.

Etsy didn't do much for us so we moved to Shopify, it gives you more freedom to design the look of your webpage...and for us that was important

Both POS systems are great but Etsy has it's limits when it comes to the design, but it's very easy to set up and get running with low fees. You should definitely get your products up there.

Just remember that people buy with their eyes on there, so spend some time on getting nice product shots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Etsy definitely has its place. I don’t sell candles there except to a few existing customers. Etsy is simply to market to new boutique customers economically.

I moved a big commerce from my regular site. I liked it better than Shopify for the discount structures and analytics. Costs are the same (about $300 / year) but BC has more features that I needed. 

As for how many to list? That all depends. They will cure somewhat during transit.

• Like 2