Frostbeard candles on ETSY

I'm sure some of you here have heard of these folks, some probably not. For those that have, any idea on why their ETSY shop is no longer showing any listings as of March 1st?  Have they just simply moved everything to their own website I wonder? 120k sales since they first started on ETSY is a huge accomplishment and IMO would be hard to walk away from, even if their own website traffic is doing well.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Frostbeard

EDIT: Please remove this post as it seems they are literally restocking their ETSY store as I write this lol. I have one tab open on my computer showing no items in their store and just opened another tab and bam, store restocking at 22 items lol. Go figure.

Edited by Clear Black
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

@Clear Black , have you ever tried one of their candles?  I'm curious as to how they burn.

No I have not actually. They were listed as selling in a local bookstore near where I live and I went there last summer looking to purchase one but apparently that book store had never carried that brand so I dunno lol.

I only posted about this because I am in the process of setting up my ETSY store and still learning how it all works to be honest, so I was looking to their site to see how things were "set up" if that makes sense and noticed zero items listed.  But as I refreshed the page it seemed they were adding their inventory back to the site so maybe maintenance? Who knows

2 hours ago, CandleRush said:

They were featured a while ago on Candle Science’s web sight. 

Successful from what I've read. I’ve seen their sight on Etsy a few months ago. 

As far as candle sellers on ETSY go I'd dare say they are among the top, if not then THE top sellers. Kudos to them on their success 

8 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

No I have not actually. They were listed as selling in a local bookstore near where I live and I went there last summer looking to purchase one but apparently that book store had never carried that brand so I dunno lol.

I only posted about this because I am in the process of setting up my ETSY store and still learning how it all works to be honest, so I was looking to their site to see how things were "set up" if that makes sense and noticed zero items listed.  But as I refreshed the page it seemed they were adding their inventory back to the site so maybe maintenance? Who knows

I gotcha.  I've peeked at their store several times and always admired the creativity and success.  There was a blurb in there about burning the candles that has me wondering how well they burn.  I'm thinking they are gonna burn hot, which is a decision I struggle with in regards to my product, so I'm always comparing to others.  I think I will just buy one and check it out first hand.

1 minute ago, bfroberts said:

I gotcha.  I've peeked at their store several times and always admired the creativity and success.  There was a blurb in there about burning the candles that has me wondering how well they burn.  I'm thinking they are gonna burn hot, which is a decision I struggle with in regards to my product, so I'm always comparing to others.  I think I will just buy one and check it out first hand.

What makes you worry about yours burning too hot? I'm sorry if you have posted before, but I cannot recall what your jar/packaging set up is. Do you use similar 8 oz jars as they do?

Their jars and lids inspired me so I used them but a 9 oz jars. I have since changed my containers too many times!

Their labels look like they cover any adhesion issues if they exist. It would be great to know how they burn. They also offered a subscription too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CandleRush said:

Their jars and lids inspired me so I used them but a 9 oz jars. I have since changed my containers too many times!

Their labels look like they cover any adhesion issues if they exist. It would be great to know how they burn. They also offered a subscription too.

Subscriptions seem to be an ever growing trend these days huh?

For those of you interested in this company a review on YouTube from 2015 shows unboxing the candles, very simple pkg. ideas any way. The reviewer does not light the candle unfortunately. Looks like the lids are plastic? I think they are currently metal.

I don’t know how to add links soooooo google frostbeard studio unboxing/review.

Edited by CandleRush
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Funny you mention them as I just watched their interview on CS today, love their scent blend combinations.  I do think finding your niche in a huge market of candlemakers is difficult for most, lucky they knew exactly what they wanted to focus around from the very beginning.

29 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

Well its not really free, they just already added the cost to their candle. Most candles in that jar with that wax is around $12.  No shipping is free unless it fits into an envelope :D

True! But, if you back out shipping out of that $22 that puts you close to that $12. 

The $10 for a wax melt clamshell seems the priciest product. 

Either way, they don’t seem to have a problem with sales. Probably because of their niche product branding.

• Like 1

Wow. CraftCount has them with an approx. 85k lead in sales, making them the top candle merchant on Etsy in terms of total sales to date. Going to take a guess and say most of those sales were likely done in-person via the app.

I'm curious to know if units sold to retailers, whether wholesale or not, could be processed through the app to boost sales counts.

Also curios to know which soy they're using. Why aren't mine frost-free like those. That's frustrating.

Edited by Kerven
  • Thanks 2

Who knows what they use! A blend I’m guessing. 

Do you think they purchase their wax from C.S or am I thinking to small? 

I enlarged some of there pics, the candles do appear free of wet spots, there are some crystallized looking things on a few near the lid.

Photo shopped most likely and their labels cover most of the jar.

The book niche is big now and lots of them on Etsy doing the same. Each candle tells a story.

So who here is buying one of their candles to satisfy our curiosity? 🤪

They may still use CS for wax. It's hard to say, not knowing their volume. I'd imagine a business doing 2k+ candles a year might be inclined to order directly from the manufacturer to cut costs and avoid shortages. But judging from the price of their 8oz candle... maybe they are using wax from CS?

Come to think of it, I recall skimming over a comment somewhere that mentioned frosting on the surface of their candles. After taking a quick glance at a Google image search, can confirm that their candles do frost along the rim and on the top surface. Some appear to crater + crack slightly and others appear to have holes, pockmarks, and such. Typical soy issues. Sides look surprisingly nice. Very much the way old 464 performed for me. I wonder what they're using now. Has 464 improved since the great GW snafu?

Edited by Kerven

6 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

Under priced :D

Hmm, Ive half built my Etsy shop and this is the biggest point of contention for me at the moment. When customers look at mine selling for $23 vs say Frostbeards for $22 which are they going to choose? Even though mine is twice the size in volume are customers aware of this factor when looking at prices? 

I do believe I will be under pricing my candles but Im also a new comer competing with big dogs like Frostbeard. I dont believe I can build a customer base with pricey candles on Etsy, thats not really where people shop for high end candles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯