Coconut Wax & Wicks (sigh...)

Recently I switched over from soy 444 to Northwood's Coconut Wax, I just wasn't haven't too much success with soy wax. I do really love using this coconut wax, I don't have to wait for a cool down period before I pour it and the tops are BEAUTIFUL, I'm just having the darndest time wicking this wax.

Right now I'm using their small ribbon wick for an 8 oz mason jar with a diameter of 2.75". The first 2 hrs of the burn are great but once I get into the 3rd hour, the flame gets taller, flickers and sometimes will smoke a little bit. After trimming the wick at the 3rd hour the flame goes back to what it looked like in the first 2 hrs of the burn. I'm using the smallest ribbon wick that they have. I've used their cottonwood wicks for a larger container and had the same issue, at the 3rd hour the flame takes on a life of its own.

I tried doing a 50/50 blend of 444 with the coconut wax thinking that it will solve the issue with the flame, BIG MISTAKE. There was such a huge gap between the top and bottom of the wax, just this big empty space, never seen anything like it. I think I shouldn't give up too easily with blending the 2 waxes, but definitely at a different ratio maybe 80/20 or 90/10 (with the coconut wax being the larger amount. Any suggestions???  FYI, I'm still in the beginning stages of candle making.

Hi!

i started out with Northwoods coconut wax and loved it right off the bat! But it probably wasn’t the best choice for a beginner from what I’ve read here. The issues can be with wicking this wax. I’ve tried the cottonwood wicks and loved them but did not continue testing them because I was drawn to the wooden wicks which in the end I did not care for so started testing eco and premier wicks.I love both so far.

I also blend 464 and coconut wax, 50/50 and love this blend. 

You mentioned about a huge gap between the top and bottom of the wax, can you describe this more or send a picture? 

Also, a few here also blend their waxes so I’m sure you’ll get some responses and ideas.🌸

Oh honey.  I feel for you. 

The gap sounds like a typical massive sinkhole/cavity/crater.  The one you describe sounds like a cooling issue. I have to pour coconut/soy blends pretty cool to minimize those. This is so common with 444 and 444 blends. You usually need to poke and fill this wax. 

Cottonwood and those ribbons are too much for coconut all alone too.  I tried, but they keep picking up steam as they burn. I could not make and sell a candle that needs trimming during a burn so they’re all in a box in the wick graveyard now.

• Like 3

@TallTaylor @Kerven or anyone out there.. I recently have read through the whole other 8 page thread on wicking and blending coconut wax... I started out making candles with NorthWood’s soy wax, it is amazing. Just very expensive. I tried the container wax from American soy, and I don’t like the way it hardens at all. That’s when I discovered candles and supplies, which happens to be 40 min from me. I decided to give their easy beads coconut blend a try. Having the same issues as everyone wicking it. I read how the candles and supplies and NorthWood coconut is possibly the same wax made by accu blend? Just sold under different names? I was wondering if anyone happens to know how to go about finding out which soy wax it is that NorthWood’s carries? I’d asked before from the owner and was told it was just from a small family owned soy farmer in the midwest, but not given a name. I was paying $105 per 50 lb case, then $40 shipping on it. I couldn’t afford to keep using it but I love it! Was hoping I could find out what brand it is and try to order from someone closer and cheaper! Thank you in advance for your help!

sue

According to customer service reps, easy beads is accublend coconut 83, just not pressed into slab forms. It would make sense that it is accublend because when accublend moved, the shortage was pretty consistent across suppliers! 

I have not bought any Easybeads since the recent shortage to compare, but I can confidently say my batch from June of last year is markedly different than the batch bought a few months earlier. It melts much easier and is not as greasy, so it’s manifactured within some “range” of acceptable. So I was back to square 1 testing. 

@strugglebrother has had lengthy conversations with manufacturers and may weigh in on this too. 

• Like 1

Ahh, sink holes!

I have never had any using Northwoods coconut wax including my blend with 464. I do pour very cool as TT mentioned.

I pour at 110 for straight coconut wax (Northwoods) and for my 50/50 blend with 464. Not one sink hole! Hope this helps! I cure 2 plus weeks, testing earlier won’t give you best results. I know their web sight states differently, hence, lots of testing!🌸

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CandleRush said:

Hi!

i started out with Northwoods coconut wax and loved it right off the bat! But it probably wasn’t the best choice for a beginner from what I’ve read here. The issues can be with wicking this wax. I’ve tried the cottonwood wicks and loved them but did not continue testing them because I was drawn to the wooden wicks which in the end I did not care for so started testing eco and premier wicks.I love both so far.

I also blend 464 and coconut wax, 50/50 and love this blend. 

You mentioned about a huge gap between the top and bottom of the wax, can you describe this more or send a picture? 

Also, a few here also blend their waxes so I’m sure you’ll get some responses and ideas.🌸

I wish I would have taken a picture of that particular candle I made. The only way I can describe it is that there was just a big air pocket in the center once the wax hardened. 

I also noticed that if I pour lower than 150 using straight coconut wax I have wet spots. 

Edited by TheClassicModern

20 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Oh honey.  I feel for you. 

The gap sounds like a typical massive sinkhole/cavity/crater.  The one you describe sounds like a cooling issue. I have to pour coconut/soy blends pretty cool to minimize those. This is so common with 444 and 444 blends. You usually need to poke and fill this wax. 

Cottonwood and those ribbons are too much for coconut all alone too.  I tried, but they keep picking up steam as they burn. I could not make and sell a candle that needs trimming during a burn so they’re all in a box in the wick graveyard now.

I feel you, I don't sell candles, but I don't feel comfortable giving them as a gift knowing that the wicking is an issue. Last night I made one using just the coconut wax alone. I used.  an 8 oz tin, small ribbon wick, and a 10% FO load. I think the first burn was successful, I had a complete MP at around 2.5 hours and it was 1/4" deep by the 4th hour. I didn't have a tall dancing flame either. I'm going to do a second test today and will update with the results. ***FINGERS CROSSED***

That much melt pool on a first burn in actin, and I can pretty much guarantee it will be far too hot on subsequent burns.  😢

ribbon are just just too much wick for coconut. Tins are exceptionally Hard to wick because of the dimensions. The last half gets volcano hot. 

Maybe try cutting a ribbon wick in half?

On 6/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, TallTayl said:

According to customer service reps, easy beads is accublend coconut 83, just not pressed into slab forms. It would make sense that it is accublend because when accublend moved, the shortage was pretty consistent across suppliers! 

I have not bought any Easybeads since the recent shortage to compare, but I can confidently say my batch from June of last year is markedly different than the batch bought a few months earlier. It melts much easier and is not as greasy, so it’s manifactured within some “range” of acceptable. So I was back to square 1 testing. 

@strugglebrother has had lengthy conversations with manufacturers and may weigh in on this too. 

Yes, Easy Beads and Coco83 is the same wax. I'm not sure about Northwood as I have never asked about it or tried it.

I have a box of Coco83 left but it is from last year so I didn't order anything new after the shortage period of it to be able to compare. It might well have changed slightly again. Accu-Blend were obviously short of some material that they could have substituted? They also moved to a new facility which may have changed things?

@TallTayl I made another one using a trimmed down small ribbon wick. I'm ditching the tin and I'm using a 12 oz Libbey status jar, let's see what comes out of it. I didn't want to waste wax so I'm still testing the burn on the tin candle right now. Its the 5th burn and as I'm typing I just saw smoke coming from the flame, I guess that's a fail.

• Like 1

Yes, wet spots for sure with mine, pouring lower but I’m just accepting this trait. Also wicking down is key with coconut wax, Northwoods, not sure about the other coconut blends out there. And detailed notes, even pictures so you can refer back.

Im still testing, but came close but then back to restart. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheClassicModern said:

@TallTayl @Jenni Wix @CandleRush do you think adding some palm wax will prevent me from having to wick down with my coconut wax since it's common to wick up with palm wax?

It is possible. Everything depends on your EXACT lots of ALL waxes in the blend. Test each trial from top to bottom as loads changes with the performance of each individual wax.

It may end up that you will need to change wick series to match the needs of each wax. Palm wax is hard on wicks, only a couple of series will even burn it reliably.  You will notice with some series (like ECO) that the wick's ability to burn will slowly but surely diminish as the candle burns. 

At the end you will have learned a LOT about those waxes, and the impact of each on the whole blend.

Have fun!

On 6/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, CandleRush said:

Ahh, sink holes!

I have never had any using Northwoods coconut wax including my blend with 464. I do pour very cool as TT mentioned.

I pour at 110 for straight coconut wax (Northwoods) and for my 50/50 blend with 464. Not one sink hole! Hope this helps! I cure 2 plus weeks, testing earlier won’t give you best results. I know their web sight states differently, hence, lots of testing!🌸

Was gonna just post this. I also pour at these temps with 444/coco and no sink holes. Only slight dip on surface. I am 75/25. And so far no shrinkage in jar. I also heated the jar before pour.

Question for TallTayl. I know you use the c-3, how different is it compared to the 444?

Edited by CaptnKush

2 hours ago, CaptnKush said:

Was gonna just post this. I also pour at these temps with 444/coco and no sink holes. Only slight dip on surface. I am 75/25. And so far no shrinkage in jar. I also heated the jar before pour.

Question for TallTayl. I know you use the c-3, how different is it compared to the 444?

C3 is similar in heat/cool behavior as far as sink holes, etc.

c3 has a distinctive odor to it that I never liked. 444 was great until the factory move fiasco. If we could trust 444 would never have moisture/cracking/etc issues again I think it’s much better than C3. 

C3 is harder to burn than 444 also imo.  Needs a bigger wick and is slightly “dirtier” if not wicked well.

i moved to c1 and like it better than C3 in all honesty. It’s not perfect, but better. 

35 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

C3 is similar in heat/cool behavior as far as sink holes, etc.

c3 has a distinctive odor to it that I never liked. 444 was great until the factory move fiasco. If we could trust 444 would never have moisture/cracking/etc issues again I think it’s much better than C3. 

C3 is harder to burn than 444 also imo.  Needs a bigger wick and is slightly “dirtier” if not wicked well.

i moved to c1 and like it better than C3 in all honesty. It’s not perfect, but better. 

Interesting. So far I have not had the problems you listed with 444, maybe I got a good batch or maybe because I blend a small amount of 4627 with it.  Thank you.

Edited by CaptnKush