New Project - New Display Shelves

35 minutes ago, MilosCandles said:

@Laura C Thanks!  It is totally random.  Some many different bottles and scents.  Never could come up with a "logical" method.  There is a label on each one.

Hmmm... I'm thinking if you put them into groups that visually look the same or similar then they would look more organized and maybe leave a little bit of space between the groups. Maybe this would work, maybe not, IDK.  Somebody with show experience would know. By all means, I'm not trying to be a harsh critic but to be honest with you, as a shopper, I would hesitate to go into your booth and would probably just walk on by. :icon_tiptoe:  It simply looks to chaotic and confusing and I'm not going to want to deal with that. But hey, maybe it's just me and any other neat freaks out there, LOL. :tongue:

• Like 2

So a little controlled chaos @Laura C

Like you, I find people are in a hurry. having too much visual stimulation when there are so many shops to visit and possibly spend money can be counterproductive. 

that was a big lesson at faire in our first season. Grouping by color or theme helped us increase sales. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

So a little controlled chaos @Laura C

Like you, I find people are in a hurry. having too much visual stimulation when there are so many shops to visit and possibly spend money can be counterproductive. 

that was a big lesson at faire in our first season. Grouping by color or theme helped us increase sales. 

So it's just not me, LOL. Awesome, glad someone with show experience chimed in, thanks @TallTayl. I may be late to the party but I'm starting to realize that design and decorating principles can be used with anything and not just photography, logos, labels, and websites. 🎨 🖼️🎪

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Laura C said:

So it's just not me, LOL. Awesome, glad someone with show experience chimed in, thanks @TallTayl. I may be late to the party but I'm starting to realize that design and decorating principles can be used with anything and not just photography, logos, labels, and websites. 🎨 🖼️🎪

No it’s not just you.  I study places like Lush, BBW, Yankee, IKEA,  etc. for the super expensive knowledge of merchandising.

Lush looks chaotic but it is highly organized if you really look.  Piled high, but easy to find what you didn’t know you needed.  The options are intoxicatingly arranged at or near eye level In island chains around the store.

BBW has few scents but in loads of different containers (and sometimes different names on the same scent). The similar containers are grouped, and then sub grouped by scent/color. Super easy to find exactly the scent, color, etc you are out for. 

Yankee is simply by scent with every size and format option in the same group. You like Apple? Here ya go, how do you want it? 

You never really stop stop trying to find the ideal merchandizing layout for events. Sometimes it is as easy as watching and listening to people as they shop, Observing traffic patterns, or just simplifying to maximize display space. I make slight changes every day of Faire just to see what happens.  Once in a while the stars align and make magic. 

31 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

No it’s not just you.  I study places like Lush, BBW, Yankee, IKEA,  etc. for the super expensive knowledge of merchandising.

Yankee is simply by scent with every size and format option in the same group. You like Apple? Here ya go, how do you want it? 

... easy to find what you didn’t know you needed. 

Once in a while the stars align and make magic. 

Exactly, you are on fire today @TallTayl, LOL. I'm enjoying this conversation. I like to observe things that I like too and use the parts that I like. I don't want to exactly copy someone but certainly learn from them. You can really learn a lot from those big, successful companies, I mean they have huge budgets and teams of experts that work on this stuff so why not take advantage of that and use it to put your own spin on things. You are cracking me up and I'm loving some of your lines from above such as:

"You like Apple? Here ya go, how do you want it? "

"... easy to find what you didn’t know you needed"

"Once in a while the stars align and make magic."

This is awesome stuff, light bulbs are bursting on, it's a good day. :yay:

• Like 1

@Laura C & @TallTayl  I agree with you both.  I am very OCD with stuff like that.  But few factors play into this.  The amount of variations, time to setup, and size of my space.  Add the fact that the items get moved everywhere by shoppers.  Those things just make it near impossible to have a organized display.

In an ideal world I would totally do it Yankee candle.  Grouped by scent.  I dream of that.  LOL.

I do have some organization by rows.  Top row is liquor bottles,  next is melts (alphabetized), next is tins and jars(alphabetized), then beer/soda below that.  Almost more organized by price point.

It is amazing how people shop/buy in my tent.  Some just want a scent, some just want a particular can/bottle some want the perfect combination.  There are some items and scents I have way more of cause I know what sells and what people ask for.    It is very interactive tent.  Touching, holding and smelling, showing their friends.  Usually have some music playing.  There is nothing serious about what I am selling.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2019 at 2:00 PM, MilosCandles said:

@Laura C & @TallTayl  I agree with you both.  I am very OCD with stuff like that.  But few factors play into this.  The amount of variations, time to setup, and size of my space.  Add the fact that the items get moved everywhere by shoppers.  Those things just make it near impossible to have a organized display.

In an ideal world I would totally do it Yankee candle.  Grouped by scent.  I dream of that.  LOL.

I do have some organization by rows.  Top row is liquor bottles,  next is melts (alphabetized), next is tins and jars(alphabetized), then beer/soda below that.  Almost more organized by price point.

It is amazing how people shop/buy in my tent.  Some just want a scent, some just want a particular can/bottle some want the perfect combination.  There are some items and scents I have way more of cause I know what sells and what people ask for.    It is very interactive tent.  Touching, holding and smelling, showing their friends.  Usually have some music playing.  There is nothing serious about what I am selling.

Perhaps just putting out a good selection in groups as @Laura C suggested initially would be good.  I think your doing fantastic, but if I’m being honest when I seen your pic I thought... 😬. I would be afraid to go in your booth mostly out of fear that I would break something due to everything being so cluttered.  Again... Please

do not take this as a negative, I think your doing great.... Maybe just start by displaying less.  Less truly is more!  I have done conventions for years with my scrapbooking business and can assure you this would help immensely!  You can always store extra stock under your tables hidden by your tablecloths.  How many shows

do you plan to do this year?  

As TT mentioned, when in doubt group in color blocks to limit the visual chaos.
I'm a true believer in the "stack em high watch em fly" approach but it's important that the "stacks" are the same item/color.

I'm guessing many (most?) of your customers are 1st attracted to their favorite brand of beer anyway so displaying in groups by brand (color) should help them hone in.

stack.jpg

• Like 1

@Marleigha In past years I did as many as 40 shows.  This year I will I think I will be doing 12.  When I started I did every school and church show I could go to. This is exhausting and I have become MUCH more selective.   No disrespect taken.  I appreciate the input.  In the end I am limited to a 10x10 space.

@pughaus In one of my early pics of my tent, I have 2 end caps with a few product on display (most popular items) with little signs encouraging people to touch and smell.  This draws most of them inside.  

Even after 100's of shows I still trying to figure out a better way.  I have tried many different ways.  

Here was a setup at my show a couple weeks ago.  In person it is not as overwhelming as it seems.  Make it life size and waist high it works pretty well.  Little different that my typical setup cause the ground in the back on the tent was like 10" higher than the front.  Lots of leveling.

20190928_093146.jpg

20190928_093136.jpg

@MilosCandles I completely understand the whole 10 x10 sizing issue.  I ended up having to upgrade to a 20 x 20 for most shows but some shows I can still get away with a 15 x 15.  It’s hard all in all what you have isn’t bad... Just keep trucking along.  You can also look up craft fair setups and get new ideas that way.  Best of luck to you.  😇