Jump to content
MilosCandles

New Project - New Display Shelves

Recommended Posts

When I first started I made some shelves.  They were good but did not hold enough product.  Then I when with the wire grid.  These were awesome held a ton a product and worked great BUT they are super heavy and took forever to setup. (Pic Below)

 

 Next weekend I have an outdoor show that is Sat and Sun BUT you need to tear down each night and setup the next day.  I would never survive tearing down and setting up 2 days in a row with my current wire grid setup.

 

It got me thinking how could I make my setup better..  Quicker to setup, lighter, and overall easier.  This has been going through my head for months.  Well I came up with a new design and built them the last few days.  I made 3 of them that will fit on 6 ft Tables.  One of those 3 can be made to fit on an 8ft table.  So I have the ability to do a few different size setups.  No tools required.

 

This weekend they will be sanded and stained and a coat of poly.  I am so excited to try.  Ordered some new Vinyl signs to accommodate the new setup.  I am still going to use some wire grids to face outward but far less than before.

20181116_100119.jpg

20190527_205814.jpg

20190527_210115.jpg

20190530_215039.jpg

20190530_220053.jpg

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work, that should look really good. Be sure to take pics of your new setup and show us. :)

And so it looks like everything will pull apart and collapse for storage and hauling? The shelves and legs are separate pieces right?

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look great! I am assuming you made the risers with removable slats for easy set up and storage plus transport. I have wood risers with removable slats and love them. The only pain is putting in the very first slat, lining it up and fitting it in the stands. Once you get the first one in they are a snap to set up and easy to disassemble. They can hold a lot of product, look good doing it, plus they bring all your product to eye level and that helps to sell them better.

 

When you get them finished and set up at their at your next show I hope you take some pics so we can see your new setup. I know I would love to see it.

 

Here are a couple of pics of my wood table risers set up.

 

878623518_CandlesElktonXmas.thumb.jpg.0f722db31c25e42920f7871e7a1a5591.jpg4

 

992045547_XmasSouthSt.3.thumb.jpg.89475499c329e434f76e8e01a4b54f90.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it. I’m adding candles this summer and have been thinking about displays. I transport in an economy car and even with my awesome ninja like jenga skills, I’ve been wondering how I would fit proper displays in my car. Something like this may work!  Thanks for sharing. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question... All of you that sell candles at crafts fairs and shows, do you have insurance?  and if so where  would be the best place to purchase form?

 

thanks

Karen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MilosCandles I can't wait to see the new shelving modeling the product - great job!

11 hours ago, karinz40 said:

Quick question... All of you that sell candles at crafts fairs and shows, do you have insurance?  and if so where  would be the best place to purchase form?

 

thanks

Karen 

Karen, you may want to check out https://indiebusinessnetwork.com

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, karinz40 said:

Quick question... All of you that sell candles at crafts fairs and shows, do you have insurance?  and if so where  would be the best place to purchase form?

 

thanks

Karen 

 

There is a sticky at the top of this forum with info on various small biz insurance. You really need it before you start selling.

 

I make soap, B&B, and candles and HSCG insures me for everything. Plus I like being a member of their organization as they have reps that help us re legislation for small businesses like mine to keep us going. They do terrific work.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 11:25 AM, Candybee said:

They look great! I am assuming you made the risers with removable slats for easy set up and storage plus transport. I have wood risers with removable slats and love them. The only pain is putting in the very first slat, lining it up and fitting it in the stands. Once you get the first one in they are a snap to set up and easy to disassemble. They can hold a lot of product, look good doing it, plus they bring all your product to eye level and that helps to sell them better.

 

When you get them finished and set up at their at your next show I hope you take some pics so we can see your new setup. I know I would love to see it.

 

Here are a couple of pics of my wood table risers set up.

 

878623518_CandlesElktonXmas.thumb.jpg.0f722db31c25e42920f7871e7a1a5591.jpg4

 

992045547_XmasSouthSt.3.thumb.jpg.89475499c329e434f76e8e01a4b54f90.jpg

Beautiful. What you and @MilosCandles have done is to make steps or stairs. That's not an easy thing. You've got to be a pretty good carpenter. The good news for the unskilled among us is that Home Depot & maybe Lowe's sell the pre-cut risers. All you have to do is add the treads and go. That's the route I'll have to take. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Candybee said:

 

There is a sticky at the top of this forum with info on various small biz insurance. You really need it before you start selling.

 

I make soap, B&B, and candles and HSCG insures me for everything. Plus I like being a member of their organization as they have reps that help us re legislation for small businesses like mine to keep us going. They do terrific work.

I have no insurance for things like we do. Do you think I could get some sort of umbrella policy? Do they still sell umbrella policies?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 5:50 PM, Sebleo said:

I love it. I’m adding candles this summer and have been thinking about displays. I transport in an economy car and even with my awesome ninja like jenga skills, I’ve been wondering how I would fit proper displays in my car. Something like this may work!  Thanks for sharing. 

I agree. However, stair cutting (which is what we see here) takes a bit of carpentry skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Candybee said:

 

There is a sticky at the top of this forum with info on various small biz insurance. You really need it before you start selling.

 

I make soap, B&B, and candles and HSCG insures me for everything. Plus I like being a member of their organization as they have reps that help us re legislation for small businesses like mine to keep us going. They do terrific work.

You need a business license, though, don't you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes everything comes apart for easy setup and transport.  I did a dry run this weekend,  I need to make a few tweaks but overall was pretty happy.  We will see what I think at 6am and I am really setting up.  LOL

 

I use https://www.soapguildinsurance.com/ for my insurance.  It is not easy to find "candle" insurance, and it is not cheap compared to almost any other vendor at a craft show.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Quentin said:

Beautiful. What you and @MilosCandles have done is to make steps or stairs. That's not an easy thing. You've got to be a pretty good carpenter. The good news for the unskilled among us is that Home Depot & maybe Lowe's sell the pre-cut risers. All you have to do is add the treads and go. That's the route I'll have to take. 

 

I'm not that skilled! I bought my wood risers from Gerschal Bros. https://www.gershelbros.com/product1418.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Quentin said:

I have no insurance for things like we do. Do you think I could get some sort of umbrella policy? Do they still sell umbrella policies?

 

You would have to call and see what they have. Also, they may know another insurer that would help you. It's worth giving them a call. Keep in mind that HSCG is geared more towards soapers and B&B makers. Candles can be insured also as long as you also make and sell soap.

 

Indie will insure small crafting businesses but I am not sure about candles. Just read through the sticky thread on insurance and try to find one that sounds like a fit. You can also try you local SBA office and ask them about how to get insured. They may also have some classes on getting insured or some provided by insurers. The SBA is a small biz owners friend and you should check them out. They helped me start my biz and get free and cheap biz classes too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Quentin said:

You need a business license, though, don't you?

 

This will depend on your state. For example, I can sell stuff without a license in VA and still list it as a hobby as long as I make less than $800 annually. Don't quote me on that as its been years since I checked that out.

 

A license is super easy to get but again will depend on the city/town/county you live in. For example I live in a town in a county and buy a biz license from the town because I own a home based business. If I worked out of an office or building I have to get my license from the county.

 

So call your city gov't office and find out where and how to get one. My license costs me $10 a year minimum. It can go up depending on how many thousands of dollars I make in the tax year. Yours could be the same or a flat fee.

 

When you apply for your license you may also need to register a fictitious name, and a zoning license. Again, depends on your state, county/town/city, etc. At the same time you apply for your biz license you should also apply through your state dept of taxation for a business tax number.

 

Licenses and starting a biz are easy compared to shopping for insurance. At least that is how it was for me until I found the HSCG. They had exactly what I needed. Also, some craft fairs and markets require proof of insurance, license, to qualify. I have a market that requires insurance, biz license, and driver's license. Also, they required a ryder or whatever its called through my insurance. Its an attachment you have made to your insurance that specifically names them as being covered by your provider. HSCG has a insurance portal that I can do this myself online and just print it out. So you always need to be prepared.

Edited by Candybee
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 8:43 PM, Quentin said:

You need a business license, though, don't you?

 

In Mississippi, you just need a sales tax license.     They will let you file quarterly.   Note that if you get the sales tax license, you will have to file quarterly even if you don't sell (you can file online and it only takes about 15 minutes to do it).   However, if you are only going to do shows, you pay the sales tax at the event.    There are no business licenses that I know of in Mississippi.  I've had several businesses here, including one at North Park Mall in Ridgeland and was never required to get one.    For your income taxes, if you are going to file, you need an EIN.     To get credit card processing, I think you need the EIN ... Possibly you might get by with your SS#.    But best business set up would be to just use your SS# and get an EIN.   

 

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

 

Keep in mind every credit card sale you make will be on a 1099.  The sales tax and EIN are free to get.

 

As for insurance, I use a business policy that covers my business building, contents, etc. plus a $1M liability that will also cover me at shows.    Since you are in Mississippi, you can endorse (insurance term) a part time business on your home owner's policy using HO 71.  Ask the agent that carries your homeowner's about that.  You might  want to add some  coverage for the nice shop you just built?  Just ask your agent about that.  My policy is through Alfa but I asked and they should all be similar.

 

This looks pretty good. 

https://www.actinsurance.com/compare-policies?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrdjnBRDXARIsAEcE5YkEfHyxJRvEmgMW-pbAcyp9QIklBpzuaweMwaxhywf7Y6hHImAgjhwaAhoxEALw_wcB

 

The show only policy might be a decent alternative for some ppl.  Note that some shows will make you carry liability.  The usually require $1M.  If you don't have it, they will tack it on.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use shelves like that at our shows. They break down easily and are very portable. We have had them for quite a few years so it is time for some new one. 

54517361_1835631209875532_1292491848484388864_n.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The selves worked out great.  Still need to make a few tweaks to the overall setup.  But for the most part I was pretty happy!

20190608_095730.jpg

20190608_090958.jpg

20190608_095738.jpg

Edited by MilosCandles
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

The selves worked out great.  Still need to make a few tweaks to the overall setup.  But for the most part I was pretty happy!

 

Congrats @MilosCandles, your shelves look great and you are able to display a lot of product. Just curious, how do you arrange your products? Is it by scent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Laura C Thanks!  It is totally random.  Some many different bottles and scents.  Never could come up with a "logical" method.  There is a label on each one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...