Please share your success stories with 464 or soy wax in general.

After a year and a half of fumbling around with like 6 different waxes and different containers I've decided to take the plunge and stick with 464 no matter what. I just completely ran out of it and I had to kind of make a decision about whether to order more or go with something else. 

I am really nervous because I know how frustrated I've gotten with it and how frustrated other people have gotten with it, but I'm committed now. Please assuage my fears and share with me your success stories lol!!

Apparently soy changed DRASTICALLY a couple of years ago (maybe 2016) which I’ve read extensively (it seems) about on past posts...but I wasn’t making candles then. Since I’ve been using 464, I’ve been very happy. HT can be challenging with certain FO - but, I think that’s normal since it’s all I’ve ever known. Now...if I branched out into other waxes...not sure how I would feel — so I don’t! 😂

Give it a go and see how you do.

I am still experiencing variations from lot to lot of soy waxes, so do test each new batch.my last load put me back to the start of testing two different lines.  I’m so over this.  Buy as much wax at a single time to avoid having to test and test and test. 

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Give it a go and see how you do.

I am still experiencing variations from lot to lot of soy waxes, so do test each new batch.my last load put me back to the start of testing two different lines.  I’m so over this.  Buy as much wax at a single time to avoid having to test and test and test. 

I found a distributor semi-near to me. Far enough that's it not really worth the trip unless we were going down anyway, down in Massachusetts. They carry 464 and the other GB soys, plus soaping oils. Between how cheap soy is compared to paraffin and the savings on shipping it is really really fantastic and I would buy a couple cases at a time at least starting out to try to save money and testing time. I am debating still adding some paraffin though, I'm really digging the 50/50 blend, but I would have to get that shipped to me. It might be worth it though. 

464 is what I started with, and personally haven't ever felt the need to try anything else. I love it! In my experience it's a very, very easy wax to work with. I know some batches in recent years have given some folks trouble but I'm not one of them. Single pour, smooth tops, great throw. For me, that's all I need. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

I have so many favorites, it’s hard to choose!

I like blending 464 with coconut wax rather than 464 straight. Recently blending it with 4630 and like it as well.🌸

I am loving blending it with 4630. Still really easy to work with, get the nice creamy look of soy without any of the ugly frosting or cottage cheese look when burning. Plus I'm assuming the throw will be much better when I get there. Still have to cure, but I guess that's okay. The burn seems really manageable too, so I love that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2019 at 4:57 PM, LittleMissSunshine said:

I am loving blending it with 4630. Still really easy to work with, get the nice creamy look of soy without any of the ugly frosting or cottage cheese look when burning. Plus I'm assuming the throw will be much better when I get there. Still have to cure, but I guess that's okay. The burn seems really manageable too, so I love that. 

Do you mind sharing what percentage you blend the waxes? Do you see any soot buildup when adding coconut wax or 4630? I have tried coconut oil with 464 but seem to get soot even when it’s a Teaspoon per pound. 

3 hours ago, Kmmart said:

Do you mind sharing what percentage you blend the waxes? Do you see any soot buildup when adding coconut wax or 4630? I have tried coconut oil with 464 but seem to get soot even when it’s a Teaspoon per pound. 

I'm doing a 50/50 blend of them. I have not gotten any soot on the rim of the jar, but all my wicks I've tried so far have been too big and flicker and smoke a bit. I'm doing a cd-12 in an 8oz tin right now and about an hour into the first burn it is perfect. No smoke, no flickering, flame is just a perfect little beauty. We'll see if that continues. 🙂 I've been lazy and taking my sweet time, but I would love to have found the sweet spot. I have high hopes for this one. 75/25 has a much prettier appearance IMO, but the only two I made at that percentage caved in when I tried to light them lol. 

1 hour ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

I'm doing a 50/50 blend of them. I have not gotten any soot on the rim of the jar, but all my wicks I've tried so far have been too big and flicker and smoke a bit. I'm doing a cd-12 in an 8oz tin right now and about an hour into the first burn it is perfect. No smoke, no flickering, flame is just a perfect little beauty. We'll see if that continues. 🙂 I've been lazy and taking my sweet time, but I would love to have found the sweet spot. I have high hopes for this one. 75/25 has a much prettier appearance IMO, but the only two I made at that percentage caved in when I tried to light them lol. 

I just made samples this evening with coconut wax and 464 instead of coconut oil. Hoping they turn out! I just switched to 464 from c-3 because of the lower melting point. But 464 is giving me terrible tops and frosting.  Might have to look into the 4630 if I can’t get the coconut wax to work. When you say 75/25 do you mean 75% soy? 

On 5/31/2019 at 3:11 PM, GoldieMN said:

I gave up on 464 because customers had to burn the pint jar 1/4-1/3 of the way down before getting a hot throw.  I switched to C1 with pretty good results.  @Talltayl Are you using 464?

GoldieMN

Hey sweet sweet, I only used 464 for a very short time in 2003. It was not my best friend at the time, so I moved on to C3 until last year when I finally tried c1.  The 464 out today is nothing like what I used, and I confess I have not felt the desire to go back and test it out. I preferred 444 to 464.  Would have stuck with 444 if not for those long months when everything golden brands was total junk.after 18 months the wet 444 is finally usable 🙄

This year, c1 is my base wax in tins for Faire.  I blend with a naked soy as I found c1 varies from lot to lot like all the others.  C1 is pretty great unless it’s a grainy/dry lot. The naked soy helps smooth things out.

if money and supply were no object, I’d give Elite200 a serious test. That is one smooth wax! Dorothy Mantooth sent a tin for a swap a couple of years ago and it was so pretty.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kmmart said:

I just made samples this evening with coconut wax and 464 instead of coconut oil. Hoping they turn out! I just switched to 464 from c-3 because of the lower melting point. But 464 is giving me terrible tops and frosting.  Might have to look into the 4630 if I can’t get the coconut wax to work. When you say 75/25 do you mean 75% soy? 

Yes 75% soy. I like to pour a little warmer with soy. Then I can usually get nice pretty tops, but then it's still ugly after the burn. No color helps prevent frosting too. Adding 4630 to it eliminates all uneven tops/frosting/anything like that. And it helps the throw a lot. I have one candle that I made that was 75% 464 and 25% 4630. It caved in when I lit it, so I started scooping it out and using it as a wax melt. The cold throw is so strong that I sometimes wonder if my husband put some in the melter without me knowing when I walk through my kitchen. The hot throw from the burner is wonderful too. 

5 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

Only success I have had with 464 is after giving up on it and then lighting a 5 month old candle that looked like canned cauliflower only to  find out then that it had great scent throw. :D

Lol something similar happened to me. Then I made a few soy candles with great results and absolutely perfect burns. Then started adding paraffin for a prettier burn and an improved hot throw. Loving it! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@TallTayl What is a "naked soy"?  I searched a bit and found another post mentioning Midwest Container Wax.  Is this what you are referring to?  Have you tried 100% naked soy?  

GoldieMN

Soy with no additives to make it work “better” in containers. Midwest is one. 415 was, and still is as far as I know. I prefer Midwest for the consistency between batches and overall cost.

Naked soy needs lots and lots and lots of help from additives to  perform. I tested plain midwest for many months and came to the same conclusion every time: Pure Soy alone is a terrible product. Soy can improve other waxes, but alone it’s just awful. The polymorphism alone makes it unreliable for any consistent end product. 

• Like 1