What FOs seem kind of dark and gothic to youO

Darbla

I mentioned recently how I love WSP's Black Rose & Spice and how it has kind of a gothic feel to me.  What else would you put in that category?  Think vampires, spooky dark nights, long and lacy black gowns, and leannán sídhe or dark fairies communing in a midnight forest under a full moon, and tell me what FOs put you in mind of that. 

Edited by Darbla
  • Like 1

This is MY personal favorite lane, lol

any wood or  combo of woods

resins like ambers, dark vanillas, dragons blood, Myrrh, frankincense

deep florals like jasmine

leaves

musks 

absinthe IF it’s not candy like. NG, for example, smells like gumdrops. Real absinthe is woody and herbal with fennel, wormwood, etc 

Herbals

spices

blends of all all of the above 

• Thanks 1

@TallTayl I’m surprised you say NG Absinthe smells like gumdrops. They describe the notes to include: star anise, fennel, cinnamon, woods, and amber. To me it is nothing but woodsy and herbal!  Do you have another that you find more woodsy and herbal bc I would love to try it. 

28 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

@TallTayl I’m surprised you say NG Absinthe smells like gumdrops. They describe the notes to include: star anise, fennel, cinnamon, woods, and amber. To me it is nothing but woodsy and herbal!  Do you have another that you find more woodsy and herbal bc I would love to try it. 

Lol @ how different noses are. All I and my people get is spicy gumdrops from NG. 

I blend my own referencing a recipe for the drink. Faire sells absinthe so we smell like the drink. 

• Thanks 1

Anything with dirt. Dirt and dark fruit. Dirt and roses is dark. It's hard to get darker than death, so maybe you could make something morbid-sounding. Amber and patchouli, myrrh, dragon's blood, bourbon, tobacco- mix any of those and add some dirt! 😆

NG's Vamp Vogue, something about that one is dark and yet ozone and green at the same time.

Nurture Soap's High Priest, earthy and ritualistic. Mmmm, love that one! Not sure what it's a dupe of, but I'm sure it's a dupe of something!

Definitely the classics like Witches Brew, Dragon's Blood, etc.

FB has one called Rotten (formerly named Death & Decay), plus some others:

Ancient Incense, Bite Me (as in vampyr),  Celtic Myst, Cinnamon Broom, Cumin Bath,  Dark Knight, Dark Shores, Dirt, Dragon's Blood, Earthen Oak, Enchanted Apple, Forbidden Fruit, Frank & Myrrh, Gaia, Goddess, Jonas Potion, Rotten, Sea Witch, Teakwood Forest, Twilight Woods, Winter Festival (could rename it to Winter Solstice),  Witches Brew, Woodsmoke

One time a supplier sold vanilla voodoo, maybe it was NG. That might be a little dark. Another on that is good, and you could change the name, is CC sultry angel, I love this but it could be a dark scent. maybe call it Fallen Angel.

Love everyone's ideas too.

• 2 months later...

I was looking up datura scents the other day and landed on an interesting article (link below).  Do any of you know if that is a note in any FOs?  If not I may just invent or rename something.  I place datura in the " goth " category so it goes in this thread. 

https://www.fragrantica.com/notes/Datura-378.html

On a related note, do any of you have any Angel Trumpets in your yard?  I've wanted some for years but haven't gotten any.  My soil here is so bad it'd probably be a PITA to get one established so I didn't have to mollycoddle it every week.

• 1 year later...