Another price increase WSP

The recent email reads:

Hello,

Over the past six months, we have seen a steady rise in shipping costs, accessorial delivery fees, peak season surcharges, and increased fuel surcharges for small box deliveries. In fact, just this month fuel surcharges increased to 7.5%.  These increases are on top of the 25% Phase 4 Tariff import tax that just went into effect.  All of these added costs have left us with no option but to turn to product prices for relief.

Therefore, effective May 28, 2019 we are implementing a small increase on most products.  To minimize the impact we will no longer round product prices to $0.99 which will allow some product prices to go down.  It also means that some product increases will be less significant than others.  

To give you the opportunity to save, I wanted to announce this increase before the $25 off $75 sale ends. In addition, we will begin the next sale flyer on Tuesday, May 28th.

We will closely monitor overall product costs and when we see that they are consistently coming down we lower product prices, just as we have done in the past.  We have a long history of passing our savings onto customers and that policy and it will not change.  Our goal remains to bring you the highest quality products at the lowest possible prices.

This was a very difficult decision to make and I thank you in advance for understanding.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions...please feel free to reach out to me personally at Debbie@WholesaleSuppliesPlus.com

Debbie May
Founder & President
Wholesale Supplies Plus & Handmade Studio 

I just came across this discussion on a Facebook group.  Apparently it is more than a small increase, more than 30-50% on certain items.  I understand they have free shipping but you have to be cautious on just believing free shipping equals better pricing.  I have had certain items that were cheaper with shipping from other suppliers than WSP with "free shipping".  I quote that because you should expect handling fees at checkout that some are not aware of at first.  I know some oils are better quality and can use less.  However even so, there is only so much us small businesses can charge for the type of crafts we sell so there is a line/limit.  Plus I feel WSP gets plenty of business but seem to be the main ones raising prices more frequently than others.  Of course all suppliers increase at some point if they have no choice but WSP was already on the higher side as it is.  I'm glad I only have tried and love a handful or two of fragrances so I can continue to purchase those but I may have to test future oils carefully and decide if some can be purchased elsewhere for a more reasonable cost.

• Like 1

All of my FO suppliers announced 25% increases recently attributed to the new tariff.  Dharma trading immediately announced the same for all of their imports too 😢

Indie stationery companies I follow all import from China. Their entire business model will be upended. It’s far reaching.

I’m riding out as much as I can with stuff I stocked up on over the years,  it’s a good kick in the pants to use up what I have creatively. Once that’s all gone who knows what will happen. 

if you rely on anything imported it might be a good idea to stock up before that supplier is hit too. It’s doubtful the prices will return downward any time soon. This is killing us small indies. 

• Like 2

Thanks Trump. I will start stocking up a bit more...I was wondering how all this would affect us. Although in some ways can it be good for us because stores/consumers will be more encouraged to buy locally (from the US) and I bet that most of the fancy candle brands are either made in China or Europe.

Edited by candlesinflorida

On 5/29/2019 at 6:13 AM, TallTayl said:

if you rely on anything imported it might be a good idea to stock up before that supplier is hit too. It’s doubtful the prices will return downward any time soon. This is killing us small indies. 

All our candle lines ( and pretty much all our gift and paper lines too)  have double digit price increases for FW19 because of the tariffs. As you know, although they pour in the US, most candle cos. rely on China for their vessels and FO components.  This is really bad news, not just for these US candle manufacturers but for indie retailers that sell the lines and now have to charge more.

Yup those tariffs! But....... the good news is he does want all businesses to stay here in the US and if you are in the retail business feel free to increase your prices and encourage them to buy US made and buy local as someone suggested. I would also add a notice of price increase to your product. That what I would do.🌸