Standley Handcrafted

Ravens

10 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

Omg! Welcome StandleyHandcrafted!

I’ve watched every video and learned so much! Keep it up please! Yes, people can be very critical here! That is one big turn off for me but I’m glad you keep going!😀😀😀

Thank you so much and I hope the videos have helped. :) 

I'm not too worried about criticism, come with the territory for putting myself and thoughts out there. lol :D

• Thanks 1

I have also watched most of your videos. I tried the method of adding fo at a low temp but it did not work well for me in 464.   I believe we can all learn from both you and this craft forum.

Can you do a video on just paraffin as well.  I would be interested.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, karinz40 said:

I have also watched most of your videos. I tried the method of adding fo at a low temp but it did not work well for me in 464.   I believe we can all learn from both you and this craft forum.

Can you do a video on just paraffin as well.  I would be interested.

The low temp method is a tricky one for sure and one I don't recommend a lot. It's nice to see how it performs and how they come out. 
I'm not a huge fan of soy but I do like adding at lower temps when I make them. 

Which paraffin are you interested in?

I am using 4630 and am loving it.  Easy to cut, not as messy as 4627 and looks very good with one pour.  I am so exited to say I made two yesterday in 8 oz tins using Amish Harvest and wicked one with HTP 73 and one with LX 20.  They BOTH gave very good Hot and Cold throw. The determining factor of which wick to use was easy.  The LX cured so bad atfer 3 hours and the HTP is almost perfect.  I just finished the 3 hour burn and will start another 3 hour tomorrow  morning.

I like the idea of using soy but I just don't think I have the patience for how finicky it is and the wicking AND the cure time of about 2 weeks.

Anyone have any advice on 4786? I've been wanting to really make candles for a while and I think I've decided on this wax. I love the way it looks in a jar and have only made one candle with it so far. What wick would you recommend? I know this is all subjective but it's good to know a starting point.

18 hours ago, StandleyHandcrafted said:

The low temp method is a tricky one for sure and one I don't recommend a lot. It's nice to see how it performs and how they come out. 
I'm not a huge fan of soy but I do like adding at lower temps when I make them ...

I have a feeling that if there are essential oils in the fragrance oil, then the lower temp method probably does better.  I was thinking that if I add any e/o's to my f/o's that maybe I'd try adding the f/o at a higher temp and the e/o at a lower temp, but I haven't taken the time to do that yet to experiment, as I really don't think e/o's have much place in candles.

Last year, I decided I would do an experiment of my own just to see what I thought of adding some e/o to my f/o.  My thought was to make a fir f/o a little more natural smelling, so I bought some Scotch Pine and Pine Needle e/o's and added a little of both to my fir f/o.  I used C3 at 6% with RRD cotton wick ... I'll use it for other things, but it was not impressive.  Of course, this is just my one little try at it, and maybe if I had added the f/o at one temp. and the e/o at a lower temp. it may have made a difference ...? ... don't know, but I'll stick to f/o's for candles from now on and only use e/o's in other ways.  I should have known this anyway, but my thought was that maybe the e/o could give my f/o a new direction, which it did, just not for my candle in that instance.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:33 AM, TallTayl said:

Working on the first series with American Soy Wax 464/Freedom wax now. Will be sure to post once they are ready.

The only certainty about candle making is nothing is guaranteed. Every single variable makes a big difference.

TallTayl, I played around with freedom wax for a bit. Do you like it? I noticed you say 464/freedom? I specifically asked ASO if freedom was 464 in disguise and they denied it.

6 minutes ago, Wax Boy said:

TallTayl, I played around with freedom wax for a bit. Do you like it? I noticed you say 464/freedom? I specifically asked ASO if freedom was 464 in disguise and they denied it.

well, someone should change their website then, lol.

42407B8D-2BA8-499C-948B-21A6374F55EB.jpeg

it feels and performs just like plain old 464 to me. It melts and pours fine, I just don’t get performance from it like I do other waxes. It is a good starter wax before someone gets into blending additives needed for Midwest soy.

editing to add, several months back they put out a press release about producing 464 in bead form as beads are superior to flakes for resisting changes to environment, such as humidity. (Their claim)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

well, someone should change their website then, lol.

42407B8D-2BA8-499C-948B-21A6374F55EB.jpeg

it feels and performs just like plain old 464 to me. It melts and pours fine, I just don’t get performance from it like I do other waxes. It is a good starter wax before someone gets into blending additives needed for Midwest soy.

That's to funny. I use Millenium which I love. I thought I would try this new amazing freedom which I didn't love..lol. kinda shady they would tell me on the phone, no its not 464.

• Haha 2

I will say freedom wax is really easy to use.  Seems like the additives are successful to keep it adhered to glass vessels well, and the tops are smooth. Apparently, that is what many customers seem to want. Well, that, and hold a lot of FO. It ticks those boxes just fine.

millennium wax is pretty. It, too, was easy to pour. I could not coax enough Ht from it, especially given the price.  I even bought their FO and use their recommended wicks 🤷🏻‍♀️

6 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I will say freedom wax is really easy to use.  Seems like the additives are successful to keep it adhered to glass vessels well, and the tops are smooth. Apparently, that is what many customers seem to want. Well, that, and hold a lot of FO. It ticks those boxes just fine.

millennium wax is pretty. It, too, was easy to pour. I could not coax enough Ht from it, especially given the price.  I even bought their FO and use their recommended wicks 🤷🏻‍♀️

fortunately for me I have a supplier in my town. Not having to pay for shipping makes my decision easier

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 5:34 PM, TallTayl said:

Pretty sure that was the video that I saw when he was comparing cure time. A medium wood wick in a tiny jar will burn like an inferno no matter how long you cure. 

Once my faire season is over I’m giving serious thought to writing a book and doing some candle videos. Not sure I want to open myself up to all that criticism though ha ha

You should definitely make videos please! We need someone we can trust!!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, Wax Boy said:

Just an FYI @Wax Boy, I know first hand that you can't always believe what the candle suppliers or manufactures tell you. It's an irritating and sad truth. Sometimes it could just be an employee that has to say what they are told to say. :confused:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would put Standley's video in the same category of Candle Science. He is very good at what he does . Like anything else you have to take in information and use what applies for you. No reason to complain there are a lot of candle videos on the internet that are made and not useful at all. His videos are those that are truly helpful. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 11:23 AM, StandleyHandcrafted said:

You guys are funny and I don't take away any impressions people may have of me but there is quite a bit of wrong information in here. 

First, sorry if the candles weren't up to your liking. (to the person who boiught)

I don't make candles with 11% FO load, I use 8% in 6006

I use the HTP104 in the 9oz straight, which works well. 

The medium wood in the jelly jar was over wicked and used for the video and never again. 

My wax review videos are longer that one hour to decide. lol

I have initial views and thoughts, testing, and burning then my overall thoughts. You have your thoughts on waxes, why would mine be wrong or right?

I make a kit based on the wax I know the best, 6006 and use wicks that work for the tins. 

The goal of my videos is really to show people my process and testing. I always mention these are my results and list manufacturers suggestions when I go out side those lines. 

I still don't think cure times are real past a couple of days. I have done multiple tests with multiple batches, 48 hours, one week and three weeks. The same types of tests most people would do. If you see a difference than by all means cure. But lets not pretend that I'm the only one who doesn't believe in cure times. It's widely debated. 

My video for making $1000 in a month, is not a how too, or a false hope that anyone can do it. I present it as, this is what it would take to make $1000 in a month. The work that goes into it, the amount of candles it would take. I think people take away from the videos what they want and some take it wrong. I also talk about the exact cost it would take to make those candles. 

I make a big effort to let people know that I am not an expert, my thoughts are not facts unless stated and quoted from a reliable source for something like "flashpoints". 

I always encourage everyone to go to other groups and ask as my results will not always be yours. 

As I have said in many videos, you may not like my style or my not agree with me but please ask and question me. I love a good discussion. 

I've been watching your videos, including that one and I have learned so much. And you are correct there is no false hopes in the video, I payed attention though and I watched the entire video. Keep putting awesome content out there 👍

Camille

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is old.. but...Wow! Some of you really need your own youtube channel with your over the top expertise. So judgmental. So my take on the Standley videos..wait first let me say I AM A NEWBIE. Been making and trying to perfect for almost 3 years now. Yes it's expensive. Yes it's hard. Yes a TON of fails. I mean anyone who has tried ANYTHING new have all of the above problems. Baking, candles, painting ect.. I mean seriously some of you and your comments are atrocious. You were new once don't forget this. Also it would hurt for you to be encouraging. Would it? Ok back to Standley. I happen to find his videos informative. His reviews on waxes, wicks and so on have lead me to some success in many fails. We all know especially with candle making any new success in many fails is a godsend. It's a pricey craft. So that I appreciate. However we are also grown adults here. Right? RIGHT??? We all know that like life you learn from your own experience. Candles that means testing. If someone would have hopped on YouTube and told me Aztec fragrances was diluted garbage and customer service was compete horse sh** it might have saved me 100s. That's a different rant though. So I appreciate the informative heads up on wicks, wax and fragrances. I appreciate watching how someone else does things and try it myself as WE ALL get stuck in THOSE RUTS. Does it always work for me? No. Have I learned things? Absolutely. I have seen many informative vids on youtube and have learned a great deal. Self teaching can be difficult. So many waxes so many garbage fragrance company's with insane shipping rates. So yea..I lean on folks like Standley to inform me. Not that he's preaching the candle bible. But nevertheless has saved me some time. For those eye rolling, facebook hating on the newbies sit down pah-lease. I applaud anyone who devotes time in something they believe in and make a success of it. Good job Standley and everyone else killing this. If you made your first candle yesterday and you knocked it out of the park and start selling tomorrow. Hey...that is bada***Congratulations!! and good for you. Some OF US. Like many here hating on everyone takes a very long time to get there. So keep it up. Lift others up. And don't listen to the buh hum bugs know it alls jealous little people who would love to make youtube workshop, ebook have their own website money. Oh and if I wasn't so broke from my own candle adventure. I would buy butt loads of standley candles and from my fellow candle makers around. I'm sure they are wonderful ! That is all. 

1 hour ago, Smells in here said:

I know this is old.. but...Wow! Some of you really need your own youtube channel with your over the top expertise. So judgmental. So my take on the Standley videos..wait first let me say I AM A NEWBIE. Been making and trying to perfect for almost 3 years now. Yes it's expensive. Yes it's hard. Yes a TON of fails. I mean anyone who has tried ANYTHING new have all of the above problems. Baking, candles, painting ect.. I mean seriously some of you and your comments are atrocious. You were new once don't forget this. Also it would hurt for you to be encouraging. Would it? Ok back to Standley. I happen to find his videos informative. His reviews on waxes, wicks and so on have lead me to some success in many fails. We all know especially with candle making any new success in many fails is a godsend. It's a pricey craft. So that I appreciate. However we are also grown adults here. Right? RIGHT??? We all know that like life you learn from your own experience. Candles that means testing. If someone would have hopped on YouTube and told me Aztec fragrances was diluted garbage and customer service was compete horse sh** it might have saved me 100s. That's a different rant though. So I appreciate the informative heads up on wicks, wax and fragrances. I appreciate watching how someone else does things and try it myself as WE ALL get stuck in THOSE RUTS. Does it always work for me? No. Have I learned things? Absolutely. I have seen many informative vids on youtube and have learned a great deal. Self teaching can be difficult. So many waxes so many garbage fragrance company's with insane shipping rates. So yea..I lean on folks like Standley to inform me. Not that he's preaching the candle bible. But nevertheless has saved me some time. For those eye rolling, facebook hating on the newbies sit down pah-lease. I applaud anyone who devotes time in something they believe in and make a success of it. Good job Standley and everyone else killing this. If you made your first candle yesterday and you knocked it out of the park and start selling tomorrow. Hey...that is bada***Congratulations!! and good for you. Some OF US. Like many here hating on everyone takes a very long time to get there. So keep it up. Lift others up. And don't listen to the buh hum bugs know it alls jealous little people who would love to make youtube workshop, ebook have their own website money. Oh and if I wasn't so broke from my own candle adventure. I would buy butt loads of standley candles and from my fellow candle makers around. I'm sure they are wonderful ! That is all. 

The members of this forum are very

knowledgeable, encouraging and willing to help.  It is not disrespectful to call out bad or false information. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A little tidbit I learned recently was to ask, "Do you want advice, or do you want me to agree with you?"

Either can be useful depending on the  situation. 

A mastermind group of pros will often assume the former when someone posts questions, especially when safety is involved.  Such answers might feel uncomfortable and bristly to someone seeking the latter.

In the end, everyone learns something from it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have found Aztec to have amazing customer service, and they inform customers when supplies are coming in and dates. Far better than other companies I have dealt with. Regarding fragrances. Any company has some that work with wax and some that don’t. That’s why you get samples and test. Many candle companies sell fragrances that have to work with candles and soap. Some work with soap but don’t throw in wax. You have to do your own research and development.

And this forum is nothing but encouraging. Fantastic resource for people wanting to learn. You can ask questions and get good answers. There are people here that have been making and selling candles for years and years.

• Like 2