Standley Handcrafted

Ravens

Has anyone purchased candles from this company?  If so, would you mind sharing your experience?  I know they use the IGI 6006, but that is all.  I just placed a small order so I can judge for myself, but would still like to hear from others

TIA

No, but if memory serves, I think I had a bit of an argument with him somewhere regarding some questionable candle-making advice he was dishing out to the masses.  Probably not one of my finer moments.  LOL.  

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

I don't like the false hopes he sells to newbies..."You can make 1000 bucks a month selling candles down at the market every weekend".....yeah sure after you spend $5000+ testing, retesting, retesting again, insurance, booth fees, booth equipment, supplies, candle making equipment, paying someone to help you sell down at the market...etc, etc...

Plus I don't know how the guy makes a decent profit selling candles at 10 bucks with 11% fragrance oil

I think his real business is selling a dream on Youtube...

Edited by Testing123
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I teach yoga workshops and that’s where the the money is for me, not my weekly classes. He also offers candle making workshops, my guess he is making tons! And yes, his YouTube channel is very successful. He’s carved out his own niche and brand. Good for him!

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 4:52 PM, CandleRush said:

I teach yoga workshops and that’s where the the money is for me, not my weekly classes. He also offers candle making workshops, my guess he is making tons! And yes, his YouTube channel is very successful. He’s carved out his own niche and brand. Good for him!

Yes, but with great success comes great responsibility. If he is feeding new chandlers his opinions as facts, then that can lead to some serious issues. He and his daughter seem like nice people, but I have to agree with some here about "false hopes" and "questionable advice" 

• Like 5

He seems to make a video review on a wax in less than an hour, then offers candle kits via his website for $65 + shipping.  These kits include 4 pounds of that particular wax, 3 fragrance oils, a pouring pitcher, 12 tins, 12 wicks (the one that he thinks works best in that wax), thermometer, stirring spoon, warning stickers, wick glue dots, and wick holders.

• Like 2

Ok .... I've watched all of those videos.  Very very new to candle making.   Just sold my first candles this week.   (made the normal way of adding FO at 185 degrees)  I've tried adding the FO at 110 degrees.   I won't come here and refute but  I do "question the advice".

I ended up buying 2 candles from Standley Handcrafted, one 8oz. jelly jar and a 9oz. straight jar.  The very first thing I noticed is that there are no warning labels.  They are nice-looking candles, smooth tops (he uses 6006). There was no HT - well, none that my nose could pick up - from the 8oz. jelly jar.  The HT from the 9 oz. straight jar was alright, but certainly nothing to write home about. 

If I had to rate Standley Handcrafted (on a 0 - 10 scale, with 10 being highest mark) I would give a 5 for HT, an 8 for looks, a 0 for having no warning label attached, an 8 for initial burn, a 5 for final burn).  jmho 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

There are those that will cling on to his every word and those who will listen and observe and go on to do it their way. 

I can say I have learned a thing or two from watching his and many other videos with an open mind.

I question those who think his way is the only way and the right way. You should always question.

He is his own success, right or wrong. There is lots of energy and time he dedicates to His candle making process. I guess I respect that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CandleRush said:

There are those that will cling on to his every word and those who will listen and observe and go on to do it their way. 

I can say I have learned a thing or two from watching his and many other videos with an open mind.

I question those who think his way is the only way and the right way. You should always question.

He is his own success, right or wrong. There is lots of energy and time he dedicates to His candle making process. I guess I respect that.

I agree with you.  I think that those who "cling to his every word" may be the very newbies, those who may not realize just how much time and money is involved crafting a quality candle.

• Like 2

Agree!

Learning from a video is a small slice of learning for sure.

when I rewatch those videos I see I’ve come a long way. I see that his wick choices, etc. differ from mine. 

Im the type who always questions everything! This forum is the bulk of my learning, thankful for that!

• Like 4

On 5/31/2019 at 4:39 PM, Testing123 said:

I don't like the false hopes he sells to newbies..."You can make 1000 bucks a month selling candles down at the market every weekend".....yeah sure after you spend $5000+ testing, retesting, retesting again, insurance, booth fees, booth equipment, supplies, candle making equipment, paying someone to help you sell down at the market...etc, etc...

Plus I don't know how the guy makes a decent profit selling candles at 10 bucks with 11% fragrance oil

I think his real business is selling a dream on Youtube...

Newbies honestly do not understand how much time, testing and money goes into candlemaking. I'm in a group on FB and let me tell you there's some that make 1-2 candles and start selling right away. Scary! 

He gets paid for every single view on his videos. YT is a money maker for those who have a huge following

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Finished burning Standley's Coconut Lime 8 oz. jelly jar candle.  Way over-wicked, imo.  Seems like he uses HTP 105 in every video (and candle) he makes!  Anyway, the flame was huge, throwing soot, next to zero HT. The jar got very, very hot, could not touch it.

My overall impression of the two Standley Candles I bought? Seriously underwhelming performance. Would not buy again; would not recommend. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is that the same guy that tried to disprove that curing makes a difference? He made two candles burned two weeks apart and they were exactly the same? Yeah if that’s him an overwicked candle is not going to be much different after two weeks. Good on you for testing. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep doing what seems to work best on this end and try not to be downed by the other “experts”. 

• Haha 3

On 6/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, Ravens said:

Finished burning Standley's Coconut Lime 8 oz. jelly jar candle.  Way over-wicked, imo.  Seems like he uses HTP 105 in every video (and candle) he makes!  Anyway, the flame was huge, throwing soot, next to zero HT. The jar got very, very hot, could not touch it.

My overall impression of the two Standley Candles I bought? Seriously underwhelming performance. Would not buy again; would not recommend. 

I was surprised to see that he uses medium wood wicks in 9oz straight sided jars with 6006. I have tested it and they were massively over-wicked. I like watching his videos if only because he's one of the only candle making channels I know of. I've also watched Timber Ridge but couldn't stand some of the advice they give. We need a good YouTube channel for Chandlers! I have lots of amazing soap-making channels that I love to watch. I suppose a candle making channel would be hard because it would be like 10% pouring candles and 90% going over testing notes and swearing about wicks. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

I was surprised to see that he uses medium wood wicks in 9oz straight sided jars with 6006. I have tested it and they were massively over-wicked. I like watching his videos if only because he's one of the only candle making channels I know of. I've also watched Timber Ridge but couldn't stand some of the advice they give. We need a good YouTube channel for Chandlers! I have lots of amazing soap-making channels that I love to watch. I suppose a candle making channel would be hard because it would be like 10% pouring candles and 90% going over testing notes and swearing about wicks. 😂

Pretty sure that was the video that I saw when he was comparing cure time. A medium wood wick in a tiny jar will burn like an inferno no matter how long you cure. 

Once my faire season is over I’m giving serious thought to writing a book and doing some candle videos. Not sure I want to open myself up to all that criticism though ha ha

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Pretty sure that was the video that I saw when he was comparing cure time. A medium wood wick in a tiny jar will burn like an inferno no matter how long you cure. 

Once my faire season is over I’m giving serious thought to writing a book and doing some candle videos. Not sure I want to open myself up to all that criticism though ha ha

No doubt you would get a lot of criticism, from the same ilk as this Standley guy. But you would get a ton of love and support too!! ❤️❤️❤️

I think that would be awesome!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

You guys are funny and I don't take away any impressions people may have of me but there is quite a bit of wrong information in here. 

First, sorry if the candles weren't up to your liking. (to the person who boiught)

I don't make candles with 11% FO load, I use 8% in 6006

I use the HTP104 in the 9oz straight, which works well. 

The medium wood in the jelly jar was over wicked and used for the video and never again. 

My wax review videos are longer that one hour to decide. lol

I have initial views and thoughts, testing, and burning then my overall thoughts. You have your thoughts on waxes, why would mine be wrong or right?

I make a kit based on the wax I know the best, 6006 and use wicks that work for the tins. 

The goal of my videos is really to show people my process and testing. I always mention these are my results and list manufacturers suggestions when I go out side those lines. 

I still don't think cure times are real past a couple of days. I have done multiple tests with multiple batches, 48 hours, one week and three weeks. The same types of tests most people would do. If you see a difference than by all means cure. But lets not pretend that I'm the only one who doesn't believe in cure times. It's widely debated. 

My video for making $1000 in a month, is not a how too, or a false hope that anyone can do it. I present it as, this is what it would take to make $1000 in a month. The work that goes into it, the amount of candles it would take. I think people take away from the videos what they want and some take it wrong. I also talk about the exact cost it would take to make those candles. 

I make a big effort to let people know that I am not an expert, my thoughts are not facts unless stated and quoted from a reliable source for something like "flashpoints". 

I always encourage everyone to go to other groups and ask as my results will not always be yours. 

As I have said in many videos, you may not like my style or my not agree with me but please ask and question me. I love a good discussion. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, StandleyHandcrafted said:

I'd love to see the videos, do you have a link?

Working on the first series with American Soy Wax 464/Freedom wax now. Will be sure to post once they are ready.

The only certainty about candle making is nothing is guaranteed. Every single variable makes a big difference.

• Like 3