What is up with the "bougie" on so many candles?

I did a search of all my store-bought candles and every single one has "bougie" written below the scent or brand name. I get that it is a french word for candle, but is there a reason that just about every single brand puts that french word on every one of its candles? Is it some sort of industry "habit" or is there some particular other reason anyone knows?

32 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

“Bougie” is used by my high schooler as slang for fancy. Maybe it’s a key word for that pop culture type of market? 

Right?!  I’ve never heard of that word being associated with candles. Just the slang version. 

On 5/24/2019 at 7:45 PM, TallTayl said:

“Bougie” is used by my high schooler as slang for fancy. Maybe it’s a key word for that pop culture type of market? 

This is EXACTLY the term my hs teen uses when she refers to anything fancy. Must be their generations word or something 

The candle market is not much of an innovator really... like many other businesses.

Same jars, same scents + descriptions and usually the same branding... Instagram pictures with foliage plant and a candle in the window :)

It's really hard to come up with something new, and it's hard to get people to like something new... Most people like familiarity

I think I saw Bougie on Voluspa candles first, but I'm sure they stole it from somewhere else...

As the OP mentioned, bougie is just "candle"  in french.  It's like labeling perfume "parfum".   Unrelated to the slang word "bougie".  (a word I still use lol)  which is a play on bourgeoisie.  But I guess you could say that calling a US made candle a Bougie is kind of "bougie"  :)

Edited by pughaus
  • Haha 3