Glass Now Calypso Jars

I have ordered bottles for reed diffusers from them and am very pleased. I really like the look of their calypso jars and have some questions about them and jars in general. 

I saw someone say they used them, but was doing a search about waxes, so not sure how long ago that was. 

Ive been testing in a salsa jar and just finished burning one. I don’t like how the curved bottom combined with the wick tab left so much wax in the jar. 

Is this standard?  Would customers feel ripped off?  

It it looks like the calypso has a curved bottom. If you have used this jar can you confirm how much is left Unburned. 

image.jpg

3941CF14-8B71-44B2-8259-ED25DEF82330.png

1 hour ago, Sebleo said:

Ive been testing in a salsa jar and just finished burning one. I don’t like how the curved bottom combined with the wick tab left so much wax in the jar. 

Is this standard?  Would customers feel ripped off?  

It it looks like the calypso has a curved bottom. If you have used this jar can you confirm how much is left Unburned. 

Awh, I see what you mean. That's a good point but I have never used them. 

• Like 1

I received a container candle made by Northern Lights as a gift..I really liked the container, so after some research I found out it was a 8oz Calipso from Glass Now.  It does have a raised bottom, but when I finished the candle and refilled it, I used a wick with a small neck on the tab (3mm).  The remaining wax after it finished burning was minimal.  I think I might order some of those jars..

Edited by Gary in Canada
  • Like 1

Just now, Gary in Canada said:

@Sebleo  I would say its the red glass...although the one I have looks darker than their pic....but its not frosted.  It has the cork lid,  The color looks great, and it hide's any wet spots...

Thats one of the reasons I was looking into them again, but I loved them before wet spots were an issue. 

I would be so appreciative if you could post a pic of it with that cork lid. I’ve been trying to imagine what it looks like!

Wow! That looks pretty cool with the cork!

They currently sell that jar in 4, 12, 13, and 16 oz. Yours looks like the 12 oz jar.  (3.125x3.125x4.25)

How much did that 5 oz fill the jar? 

Edit: just went to NL website and it looks pretty full. It surprises me that only 5 oz fill the jar. 

Edited by Sebleo

That jar Gary posted is different from the 12 ounce calypso - they don’t have that big of a lip on them 

I have been using them and they do sell cork lids but you can’t fill them all the way up using them so they can push down in securely 

the bottom is raised but I haven’t had any issues with excessive wax left on the bottom at all - that is where your wicking comes into play and I don’t use the high neck tab wicks (9 I believe) either I use the 6mm

here is a pic - they sell out often in several colors and they are pretty pricey but I am launching a small line of these  with a pretty price 😉

875AD50A-5165-416D-9240-54CD8016AFC6.jpeg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, moonshine said:

That jar Gary posted is different from the 12 ounce calypso - they don’t have that big of a lip on them 

I have been using them and they do sell cork lids but you can’t fill them all the way up using them so they can push down in securely 

the bottom is raised but I haven’t had any issues with excessive wax left on the bottom at all - that is where your wicking comes into play and I don’t use the high neck tab wicks (9 I believe) either I use the 6mm

here is a pic - they sell out often in several colors and they are pretty pricey but I am launching a small line of these  with a pretty price

That's right Moonshine...this morning I put my glasses on lol..and saw that it was the 6 oz jar, with 5 oz volume.  It's not a big jar at all, but I like the color of it, and its REALLY sturdy.  On mine the cork goes into the container appox. 1/4".  With a 3mm neck on the wick tab, there is very little wax left. 

My problem also is..for every US dollar, it cost me about $1.28 + shipping (to Canada)...and we have HST tax of 13%...ouch.

I'd be careful and thoroughly test your jars burn at the bottom if you plan to use 3mm wick tabs. The standard safe wick tab is 6mm and this is why the 3mm's are hard to find. You may feel safe with them but what would a customer say if they had an accident with your candle and found you did not use the standard size. Something to think about. Just sayin.

• Like 1

I’ve never even seen 3mm wick tabs, yet alone used them. I would definitely want to use the standard 6mm on a flat jar. 

But, 1/2 of wax left over because of a raised bottom and a high wick tab is a concern. Especially in such a short jar like I posted above. In that jar there would still be 1/4in of wax leftover, I am guessing, with a 3mm tab. 

But, I’m sure I will just pass on any jars with a curved bottom. 

Mine have all been less than a 1/4” so far, I would guess like an 1/8” with the raised bottom and I don’t like a clean bottom at all, I shoot for some left because otherwise the remaining wax gets sucked up so fast and causes an inferno and the glass to get to hot IMO 

And like candy stated 3mm necks are trouble for anyone reading this thread - I had a supplier once change to those without notice and I didn’t pay attention....let’s just say it was ugly and dangerous in the jars I was using at that time - I couldn’t figure out why my candles were so hot at the end and going forever last part of the burn turning the jar black 

the only place I could see using those would be in a votive or tea light and even then I’m not sure I would - much rather have leftover wax than a fireball 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

I don't make candles to sell...only for my own use and friends.. I use the 3mm neck tabs and use a variety of containers.  I have never had a glass container crack or break.  With the thickness of glassnow glass containers and the raised bottom, I don't think there would be a safety issue unless the container was severely overwicked.  I get my wicks and extra tabs at https://www.canwax.com/Wick-Tab-20mm3mm_p_822.html

I always have a small amount of wax left in the bottom...I melt all the leftovers down and make firestarters out of them..

Edited by Gary in Canada

This is the wax I have left when the candle goes out. I usually have wax on the side until at least the second half of the candle...but towards the end it gets cleaned up.  They're 8oz straight sided jars, HTP62 wicks (20mm x 3mm) and 6006 wax. 

I have refilled my Calypso jar twice, and I get more wax left at the bottom due to the raised bottom but the sides are cleaned up like the 8oz SS jar...also with the 62 wick.  

candle wax left.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, candlesinflorida said:

That is a good looking candle!

It is....the glass is thick and I like their labels.  I got it as a gift and I can only imagine what my daughter payed for it in Canada!  I see their prices on their US website, so Im sure it would be a lot more here....but....in my opinion, I would rather pay more for a quality product.

7 minutes ago, Laura C said:

I like that jar and cork lid.

It will cost me a small fortune to get them here...for me a US dollar costs about $1.30 cdn...plus shipping to Canada...and we have 13% HST tax...ouch.  BUT....Glassnow jars are unique IMO, and I don't have to worry about selling cost..so I think I will just go ahead and order some.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

This is the wax I have left when the candle goes out. I usually have wax on the side until at least the second half of the candle...but towards the end it gets cleaned up.  They're 8oz straight sided jars, HTP62 wicks (20mm x 3mm) and 6006 wax. 

I have refilled my Calypso jar twice, and I get more wax left at the bottom due to the raised bottom but the sides are cleaned up like the 8oz SS jar...also with the 62 wick.  

candle wax left.jpg

Looks good Gary! 

The nice thing about the black jars is that you can’t see the wax residue on the bottom. Perhaps they have the same residue you have, but no one ever sees it? 

The candle is only $20 US

https://northernlightscandles.com/products/spirit-jar-whiskey-tobacco?variant=36358431058&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpdmz2KKu4gIVCVSGCh2TxAIWEAQYDiABEgKDpfD_BwE

Edited by candlesinflorida